The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

2 Mistakes

So I had a JH game (1 Man FP) yesterday and did two things wrong for which I would like advice.

1. With runners at second and third, the ball is hit to F6. F6 looks to be going home and then gives up and goes to third. R2 instead of sliding runs to the left field side of third and comes in standing up just after the fielder gets the ball. I've positioned myself up the line in foul territory and see absolutely nothing. I made my best guess safe, and from the players reaction I got lucky. So where should I have gone on a play like this?

2. In an IF situation a ball is popped up in the infield but not very high and no one is in a position to field it. I start to mistakenly call infield fly. I get out the fly part and do not yell batters out. I catch myself enough that I'm not very loud and with all the noise nobody hears me. The ball falls in and they throw home where the runner is safe.
I quitely walked back behind cursing myself and glad that no one heard. The question is do I have an obligation to fix this in any other way? I don't think I put the defense or offense in jeopardy but wanted another opinion.
________
Wellbutrin Injury Lawyer

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:28pm.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Sitch 1: Man, that's about as good as it gets. If you'd gone anywhere in fair territory, you risked getting pegged. Not to mention the fact that you can lose aspects of the play by not keeping them in front of you. 3B foul line is as good as it gets.

Sitch 2: You screwed the pooch on this one (take that in a constructive tone, of course). Giving the signal or saying the word "infield..." is enough to constitute a "call." If you called it, you called it, and you have to deal with it. You were lucky this time, and I doubt you'll make the same mistake twice. It happens.

But hey... If this league is sticking you by yourself, then the players are going to have to accept the fact that despite your best efforts (which I believe you're making), you will miss calls by not being everywhere at once. If they want better coverage, then they need to pay for a second umpire.

Glad to see these kinds of questions, though. Shows you really want to work at it!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

First situation I agree with NCASA. It validates my argument about how it's generally easier to call higher levels of ball. In JH ball you really don't know for sure where the ball and players are going. Higher level of ball players do what makes sense and you can anticipate it better.

#2 An IFF is an IFF whether you call it or not. I've had a couple of discussions with coaches about what is "easilly caught" at that level. Most understand but be prepared for the ones that don't.
At the JH level am I looking for outs? Yeah I'll admit it, I am, and if it even smells like an IFF I'm happy that we're one out closer to the game being over.

Oh, I almost forgot something. If you goof a play and get away with it doing one-man, don't forget to give yourself the double fist pump and say, Out loud, "Good call partner!"

Last edited by PtotheB; Thu Oct 16, 2008 at 04:33pm.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

1. What NCASAUmp said. You can't guess the out, and the coaches at that level should know that you can't see every angle in a one-ump game.

2. So.... you partially called the IF, then took it back, and didn't get an out on the BR? Ya gotta get the out and take heat for calling it inadvertantly. Besides, now you're one out closer to getting out of there.

However, if no coach complained about it, heard you, or saw you, then run with it... you got away with one and learned a lesson.

PS: Were you at Kent Memorial for Mill Creek? I drove by around 5 and saw someone out there, thought it might be you but wasn't sure...
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

hhmmmmm

So whats the prob?

Everything sounds good to go to me.

Keep up the good work!

The ole infield*cough*cough* fly *reach up and scratch the back of your head*kinda signal it*maybe not* wait and see what everyone does* is good to go for an iffy IFF call

and H$LL no you dont fix it later.. they are happy, you are happy.

Why mess that up?

Last edited by wadeintothem; Thu Oct 16, 2008 at 07:31pm.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
So I had a JH game (1 Man FP) yesterday and did two things wrong for which I would like advice.

1. With runners at second and third, the ball is hit to F6. F6 looks to be going home and then gives up and goes to third. R2 instead of sliding runs to the left field side of third and comes in standing up just after the fielder gets the ball. I've positioned myself up the line in foul territory and see absolutely nothing. I made my best guess safe, and from the players reaction I got lucky. So where should I have gone on a play like this?
Just the best you can. In a one-umpire game, you have to work the priorities and the runner coming home is first, the runner at third the second and the BR third. Since there seemed to be a likely play at the plate, you couldn't abandon it. You give them what you can and you call the best you can see. If the coach doesn't like the call, tell him/her that they are more than welcome to go check with your partner.

Quote:
2. In an IF situation a ball is popped up in the infield but not very high and no one is in a position to field it. I start to mistakenly call infield fly. I get out the fly part and do not yell batters out. I catch myself enough that I'm not very loud and with all the noise nobody hears me. The ball falls in and they throw home where the runner is safe.
I quitely walked back behind cursing myself and glad that no one heard. The question is do I have an obligation to fix this in any other way? I don't think I put the defense or offense in jeopardy but wanted another opinion.
$hit happens, but as you get the experience, you may realize that you could have easily grabbed the out and not tick off the OC since the runner scored from 3rd.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Funny this should come up now, considering I did my first (scheduled) solo umpire game in... in... Uh... 9 years?

Senior men's SP game (so even the prescribed mechanics are mostly out the window). Bases loaded. Batter hits a decent shot, and all other runners score. Bang-bang play on BR (now R4) at 2B, and I made the best call I could from near the pitcher's plate, a few steps towards 3B. Runner looked like he got his foot in there before the tag, so I call safe. The defense (in particular, the pitcher) squawks.

But hey... They only wanted one umpire, so what can I do? If it had been a 2-umpire crew, the call *might* have gone differently, but no sense in second-guessing what I felt was my best call possible, given all the circumstances.

That's just how it goes, man.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

When do Senior SP players not squawk? Every play is supposed to go their way, and any play they can't make you get to hear how they used to be able to make it.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
When do Senior SP players not squawk? Every play is supposed to go their way, and any play they can't make you get to hear how they used to be able to make it.
"I'm sorry, were you saying something, player? Maybe you should turn your hearing aid up."

Let that one confuse them for a while.

Actually, the biggest squawker apologized after the game. Just figures that he's also an umpire.

They seem to be the biggest squawkers of all!

But seriously, it was a great game. Great to see the fellas get out there and play some ball.

Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

... I start to mistakenly call infield fly. I get out the fly part and do not yell batters out. I catch myself enough that I'm not very loud and with all the noise nobody hears me. The ball falls in and they throw home where the runner is safe.
didn't we teach you anything? Never give back an out. I'm telling Tom, Malcolm and Bill...

Seriously, with the level of junior high ball around here, what constitutes "ordinary effort?" Is it "They shoulda caught it if they knew what they were doing?"

You didn't mention when you called the IFF. Was it before the ball reached its apex? Was the ball on the way down? Just things to keep in mind so we don't have to run you back through class for another three years...
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

2. ... I start to mistakenly call infield fly. I get out the fly part and do not yell batters out. I catch myself enough that I'm not very loud and with all the noise nobody hears me. .
Its a HTBT so no comment from me on that. But what if it was an IFF, you know it and called it? Sounds like no one would've heard you anyway--might want to review your "call" voice for future games, and save some explaining...