The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

High School Ball

We are in the midst, about 2 weeks in, of High School (FP) ball here in the Okie State. Anyone know how many other states, if any, play HS in the Fall?

We were discussing this at a tourney today.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah....that reminds me. I had an Okie friend who was looking for a partner to work with this season and he hasn't gotten back to me.

I believe I have heard some folk from Georgia mentioning playing in the fall, though don't quote me on this.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

HS fall ball

In our 2nd week of HS ball -- started Aug 15 and runs thru last week in October
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Ok.....this might be an obvious question....but why fall school ball? Too many umps needed for baseball?
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

They don't want to take focus away from in-season sports like the WNBA and the Canadian Football League.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Here in Nebraska they play HS ball in the fall. We start August 28 and State playoffs are October 15, 16 and 17th. I sure am glad it is played in the fall here. Typically we get rain about 3 - 4 times a week in the Spring. Our Fall weather is usually quite dry with highs in the 90's but cooling off to the 50's at night. Sky high humidity in the Spring, low humidity in the Fall. In 12 years of doing HS ball, I have only been rained out 4 nights of games. That is working about 50 games a year. It is easier running track in the rainy cool weather. Same with playing soccer. Both of these sports are played in the Spring here. Dave
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Mo

Missouri has their state sanctioned season in the fall.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Here in Nebraska they play HS ball in the fall. We start August 28 and State playoffs are October 15, 16 and 17th. I sure am glad it is played in the fall here. Typically we get rain about 3 - 4 times a week in the Spring. Our Fall weather is usually quite dry with highs in the 90's but cooling off to the 50's at night. Sky high humidity in the Spring, low humidity in the Fall. In 12 years of doing HS ball, I have only been rained out 4 nights of games. That is working about 50 games a year. It is easier running track in the rainy cool weather. Same with playing soccer. Both of these sports are played in the Spring here. Dave
When is the baseball season?
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 03:42pm
softball_junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Ok.....this might be an obvious question....but why fall school ball? Too many umps needed for baseball?
GHSA has considered moving softball to the spring but they say there are already too many spring sports.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't want to compete with Baseball and the Slow Pitch HS season is in the spring.

The weather is usually better here in OK in the "fall" after you get through August when 100+ degree days are common. Thus far we have been lucky...it has been well below normal except for the first couple of days. We even had day 2 of a tournament rainout today, strange for this type of year!
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Yeah....that reminds me. I had an Okie friend who was looking for a partner to work with this season and he hasn't gotten back to me.
Hey now! I offered you a chance at some easy $$ on some Gold ball in Durant first of June! BTW I got that tourney again for the next 2 years at least. I'll let you know when it comes around again. Supposed to be approx 20 teams, mostly Gold.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'd like to see NY State move it to the fall. Weather is alot better, usually even into mid/late November! Travel clubs playing all summer would get skills very sharp for HS season (and UMPS as well). Fall would have no conflict with Regents and Finals, Prom, etc. Girls soccer may be a major conflict though. IMHO

Last edited by bigsig; Sat Aug 23, 2008 at 04:20pm.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

You know, the more I think about it, I'm starting to lean toward moving all HS ball to the fall. That way it falls along with the SP fall ball.

Of course, you may have some problem with umpires who happen to be football fans, officials or parents of players/cheerleaders/bandmembers., cheerleading, any musicians in the band, etc.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Mike, the baseball season in Nebraska is in the Spring. Since I don't do any small ball, they can have their season in the dead of Winter for all I care. Most of our HS softball games are on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturday touneys. Friday night football, so no conflict there. Only one problem I can see having HS ball in the Fall is the girls playing Summer ball need to get out of the ASA mode of pitching and get to Federation rules. Quite a few illegal pitches early in the season. Dave
Old Sat Aug 23, 2008, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
...Only one problem I can see having HS ball in the Fall is the girls playing Summer ball need to get out of the ASA mode of pitching and get to Federation rules. Quite a few illegal pitches early in the season. Dave
You might see illegal pitches going from Fed to ASA, but not the other way around. Anything legal in ASA is also legal in Fed.