The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 10, 2004, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

I am about to start my first season calling high school ball. I've officiated ASA ball for 10 years and have done everything from 8-U to 18-U. I'm curious to hear how your first year went calling high school ball and what pitfalls to look out for.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

My experience is just the opposite. I worked high school ball for 4 years before I went to ASA.

I enjoy high school ball. The quality may not be as high as 18U or 18U Gold...but I enjoy the varsity competition environment.

Only real problem I've experienced is that the coaches, players and fans don't always understand the rule differences between federation & summer ball.

Enjoy it.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

I did a couple of years (year round in FL) of ASA slow pitch and three months of modified-fast pitch before I started doing high school.

LT mentioned the problems of coaches, players and fans not knowing the differences between the various flavors of summer play and the school rules. I found that this was also a problem with the umpires. This was true for both my senior partners and myself. Being a guy that likes digging into the nuances of rules, I would see times when I knew my partner was misapplying a rule. At other times, especially in the heat of a moment, I would not be positive on my knowledge.

I remember one specific time when my partner said to me in between innings, "Can the pitcher step back before the pitch? She keeps doing it." My brain short circuited and I honestly could not remember. Fortunately we agreed not to say anything "unless the other coach complained." I know that's a terrible way to umpire and a good way to start getting (deserved) heat from the teams.

The ASA umpire development programs in the area of Florida I was at were very strong. That was a very good foundation for me. If you've had 10 years learning ASA umpiring mechanics, I'm sure the conversion will be a breeze.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

ASA in Indiana also does a good job of giving umpires OPPORTUNITIES for training...if they want it.

Our HS association actually holds meetings throughout the winter to discuss rules, etc. We are going to be holding an "on-field" session for review and new umpires also.

One thing I noticed about HS/ASA umpires is that those who work ASA also are better than those who just do HS. Those who work NSA/AFA/USSSA/all other alphabet combinations (in addition to HS) are also better than those who just work HS ball. Why? No training.

Here you pay your money, take an open-book test, then schedule games once you've passed the test. No training except what associations offer.

As mentioned before if you're ASA trained, and work on improving yourself every day, then you'll do fine. Be careful of "greens" (umps who do it for the money) and coaches that don't know what they are doing. Know that rule book and the differences between the organizations.

And as always, TALK to partners before games to be sure you know what they are going to do. I try to call my partners the day before a game to talk to them if I don't know them.
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 02:59pm
In Time Out

Welcome to Fed. rules!

As others have noted, the differences between codes is the biggest gotcha.

And if you add more sanctions, it only gets more complex, and that applies to players & coach/parents too. Though, as FUBLUE notes, those that do multiple sanctions / leagues / age levels / etc. usually only get better. The real reason? Varied experience.

Especially early on, and early in each new year, I suggest making notes of the differences between codes as you read thru the rules. That exercise reinforces the differences in your mind.

Then, review the difference notes sometime during the day before the game, just to get the right rules fresh in your mind.

And remember to make sure you have the shirt with the right patch on it in your bag when you leave the house!
Old Wed Aug 11, 2004, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

And remember to make sure you have the shirt with the right patch on it in your bag when you leave the house! [/B][/QUOTE]

To make it easier for me, and to avoid having to remember stuff, I use double sided carpet tape for the different patches. Tape holds well, and I can stick them all on the inside of my bag. I then only have to remeber where I am!