The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 31, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Really low level slow pitch

So I was had a co-ed slow pitch game last night and the pitcher was throwing really high about twice an inning.

So I was getting a fair workout throwing my left arm out.

About 4 innings in, between innings, the coach from one team comes up and tells me I should stop calling illegal pitches and just call them as balls when they land. He says that in 5 years in this league he's never seen an umpire call the illegal pitches the way I was doing it. He goes on about how he's a baseball umpire and I should listen to him because after 10 years people are still helping him with his mechanics. At that the conversation ended.

Now, I've certainly never heard this before but I have had a few different games where people have asked me what the penalty for an illegal pitch is.

So my questions are:
1. Does anybody here do this? If so, in what situations. (i.e., how low level does the ball have to be.)
2. Besides politely stating you were going to keep calling it the way the rule is written is there anything else you'd say to end this conversation.
3. There's a rule/comment/rs somewhere that says we can't change a rulebook rule... is this such a situation? If not can someone provide examples for me of what can be changed. I'm trying to think what is a non-rulebook rule that I could change by mutual consent.

I'm trying to make sure I'm not overly officious; but I'm not sure how far one should go.

Thanks everybody.
________
Web Shows

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:21pm.
Old Thu Jul 31, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump
So I was had a co-ed slow pitch game last night and the pitcher was throwing really high about twice an inning.

So I was getting a fair workout throwing my left arm out.

About 4 innings in, between innings, the coach from one team comes up and tells me I should stop calling illegal pitches and just call them as balls when they land. He says that in 5 years in this league he's never seen an umpire call the illegal pitches the way I was doing it. He goes on about how he's a baseball umpire and I should listen to him because after 10 years people are still helping him with his mechanics. At that the conversation ended.

Now, I've certainly never heard this before but I have had a few different games where people have asked me what the penalty for an illegal pitch is.

So my questions are:
1. Does anybody here do this? If so, in what situations. (i.e., how low level does the ball have to be.)
2. Besides politely stating you were going to keep calling it the way the rule is written is there anything else you'd say to end this conversation.
3. There's a rule/comment/rs somewhere that says we can't change a rulebook rule... is this such a situation? If not can someone provide examples for me of what can be changed. I'm trying to think what is a non-rulebook rule that I could change by mutual consent.

I'm trying to make sure I'm not overly officious; but I'm not sure how far one should go.

Thanks everybody.
There are organizations that do not use that mechanic.

Pesonally, as a batter, I would rather know if the pitch is illegal so I have the option of hitting it instead trying to guess what is going through the umpire's mind. There are others that prefer not announcing the IP stating that the call distracts the batter.

In my experience, if the batter likes the pitch, s/he is going to swing whether you call "illegal" or not. I could understand if the umpire is screaming "ILLEGAL", which is why the umpire only needs to say it loud enough for the batter hears it. Yes, the catcher should hear it also, but my priority is the batter.

I've played in some tournaments of those organizations and, to be honest, there were times where is seemed more like the umpire was making an excuse for missing a strike call. I look at this the same manner of making a call with clarification.

The clarification comes first (pulled the foot) and then the call (SAFE).

Back to your scenario, tell you Coach to stick with something he knows about and softball umpire mechanics isn't it. That is unless you are working one of the organizations which does not call the IP until after the fact.
Old Thu Jul 31, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Since I only do SP, I'll chime in as well. I always call all illegal pitches as soon as I recognize they're illegal, regardless of the level of competition. I might give higher-level leagues a slightly higher ceiling (maybe 13' or so) for the pitch, but nothing ridiculous. The point of concern, as always, is whether you're as consistent as you can be when making those calls.

There's nothing in the book that says, "you don't follow the book." The book is written to be followed, and it's up to individual leagues and tournament directors to determine what rules, if any, they want to modify. The umpire is not empowered to make that determination in a relatively well-run environment, and that includes local leagues (even if they're not well-run).

I agree with Mike that it's important for the batter to know when you have determined a pitch to be illegal. Those flat pitches are tough to call quickly, but we do the best we can.

To answer question 2, I'd say the only thing you can say to him is, "well, I hear ya, but this is how ASA wants us to call it."

Calling illegal pitches is not overly-officiating. It's what we do.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jul 31, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

He goes on about how he's a baseball umpire and I should listen to him because after 10 years people are still helping him with his mechanics.

"Excuse me, but this is SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL, not baseball. If you STILL have to be helped with your mechanics after TEN YEARS of umpiring, you have a serious problem. By the way, do you call a balk when it occurs, or do you just let everyone guess?"

Bob
Old Thu Jul 31, 2008, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
He goes on about how he's a baseball umpire and I should listen to him because after 10 years people are still helping him with his mechanics.

"Excuse me, but this is SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL, not baseball. If you STILL have to be helped with your mechanics after TEN YEARS of umpiring, you have a serious problem. By the way, do you call a balk when it occurs, or do you just let everyone guess?"

Bob
True, but I'll at least appear to extend the professional courtesy to this other "umpire" without disrespecting him.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jul 31, 2008, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Any good official, including those w/10 yrs experience, knows better than to show the "I'm an umpire too" card, especially when coaching.
Its been my experience that when that comment occasionally comes up, its an outright lie by that coach to try to get a call his way. My proof is that the coach is always wrong in "his" interp.....