The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Pitch Warnings

Does anyone know of a single organization (ASA, USFA, NSA, USSSA, ect) that has in it's rule book "warnings" for illegal pitches ?
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit
Does anyone know of a single organization (ASA, USFA, NSA, USSSA, ect) that has in it's rule book "warnings" for illegal pitches ?
The only warnings for an illegal pitch in ASA SP are for violations of rule 6-1-E (simulating a pitching motion while not in contact with the pitcher's plate), 6-3-G (excessive speed), and 6-5 (foreign substance).

Though I think your question has more to do with warning first, then declaring a second pitch illegal for performing the same action.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit
No. However, I have seen umpires do this who are afraid to pull the trigger when the violation occurs.

I do believe in preventative umpiring. If I see something illegal in a warm up, I will mention to the coach that if I see that during the game I will have to call the IP. If I miss it during warm-ups, it still doesn't prevent me from calling the IP when I see it.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
No. However, I have seen umpires do this who are afraid to pull the trigger when the violation occurs.

I do believe in preventative umpiring. If I see something illegal in a warm up, I will mention to the coach that if I see that during the game I will have to call the IP. If I miss it during warm-ups, it still doesn't prevent me from calling the IP when I see it.
I don't pay any attention to warm-up pitches. F1's do all sorts of weird crap when they warm up... the running step-throw from the pitching plate, forced leaps, you name it. If I see something once in a game, I let it go. 2 times - I'm calling it.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I don't pay any attention to warm-up pitches. F1's do all sorts of weird crap when they warm up... the running step-throw from the pitching plate, forced leaps, you name it. If I see something once in a game, I let it go. 2 times - I'm calling it.
I agree - I don't pay any attention to warm-up pitching for the same reasons.
I'll call the IP the first time I see it, and am sure of what I saw.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I know that pitchers do strange things in warm-ups. Heck, some never even step on the pitching plate when they are warming up. But, IF their warm-ups do resemble game like pitching, AND I see something not legal in the delivery, I will tell a coach that "if I see that during the game then I will be calling it." Therefore, IF it is something other than a warm up ritual, they have the opportunity to address it.

I am curious as to why you don't call the illegal action the first time you see it.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
as a tournament director said to a seriously misled coach ... if you're scared ... say you're scared......why be scared to enforce the rule.... not saying you are but these "others" you speak of are far out numbering the ones who will enforce it.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am curious as to why you don't call the illegal action the first time you see it.
Because I want to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. If something looks odd, I tend to think, "Did I just see that?" I tend to give F1 the benefit of the doubt... maybe they just had an oops moment. But it puts it in my head the thought "F1 might do that again, so pay attention." Hence, if it happens a second time, I'm calling it.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Because I want to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. If something looks odd, I tend to think, "Did I just see that?" I tend to give F1 the benefit of the doubt... maybe they just had an oops moment. But it puts it in my head the thought "F1 might do that again, so pay attention." Hence, if it happens a second time, I'm calling it.
I've heard this many a time from the older regime and pass it on, as well:

"If you aren't sure, or have to go looking for it, it probably isn't illegal"
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I've heard this many a time from the older regime and pass it on, as well:

"If you aren't sure, or have to go looking for it, it probably isn't illegal"
I suspect we've all said the same thing - with different words.

I'm calling it the first time I see it and am sure of what I saw.
SRW is making sure of what he saw - and states it may have just looked strange the first time.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

One other piece of advise I've heard and pass on....if you can't properly explain why it's illegal, don't call it.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I agree SRW, It is like the leaving early. "Did I just see what I thought?"
Look a little closer, cause if they are, they will again. They now think ole
"blie" is sleeping.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

I feel a need to be very careful about calling IP's to be honest. I must be sure of course. It also should be called early.. if you are seeing it the first time with a runner on 3, you probably missed it. I have found calling IP's is not appreciated at any level of ball.. except the lamer first inning stepping back (where no one is hurt by the call) and if it hits the fan over a "harsh" IP call, you will not likely be supported. Thats my experience anyway. Other areas may be different. I have always been an advocate of hard core calling of this until this year... My worst experiences at the admin level of this game have revolved around IP calls and on more than one instance. Its their game... so however ASA REALLY REALLY wants it called it fine by me.. and I've been taught.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

my philosophy is when seen ... call it early call it often ... make them change it...the rule is there for a reason and we should enforce it when we recognize it.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Come on Bandit their only 10, give them the warning and then call it. Sorry couldn't resist!!!!