The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

WTF... I know that didnt just happen.

Two happenstances from the USFA world series in Florida

1. Hard grounder to F6 ...runner on second steps off and claps hands directly at F6....F6 bumbles ball, regains control and throws to first for a bang-bang safe call.

2. Coach is in third base box with a runner on third... slow grounder to F5.. Coach and runner are moving down line towards home (with coach lagging behind runner.... F5 gets to ball and coach starts hollering "here" "here" F5 looks at coach... runner goes by to score and F5 is late on the throw for third out at first.

I was base umpire for #1 and plate umpire for #2.... sucks to be me. (BTW: no complaints at us for these calls (or lack of calls) and I was told that I did the right thing on #2.

But dammnit it just doesn't seem right.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

are you going to tell us what you called?
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue

1. Hard grounder to F6 ...runner on second steps off and claps hands directly at F6....F6 bumbles ball, regains control and throws to first for a bang-bang safe call.

2. Coach is in third base box with a runner on third... slow grounder to F5.. Coach and runner are moving down line towards home (with coach lagging behind runner.... F5 gets to ball and coach starts hollering "here" "here" F5 looks at coach... runner goes by to score and F5 is late on the throw for third out at first.

I was base umpire for #1 and plate umpire for #2.... sucks to be me. (BTW: no complaints at us for these calls (or lack of calls) and I was told that I did the right thing on #2.

1. NCB, know you, not your partner, I hope you had a dead ball with an
interference all and if less than two outs awarded the DP.

2. Again DB, Coach interference. Again get two if less than two.

NCB, What did you do on #2?

Having fun yet? Wayne behaving?
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Jul 23, 2008, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

as per my OP I didnt call anything.

#1 she still got off the throw and almost got the runner.

#2 I was told later that I need to be REAL careful with calling coaches interference, as this could have been explained away by the coach in many ways.... go figure.

Yes, Wayne behaved...lol Shawn and I came back after "b" week... week was hot as heck and I saw some really good umpiring and some REALLY REALLY poor umpiring. (besides my own..lol) and I had my first game that I had 30 screaming fans calling for my blood and entrails to be spilt on the ground. but thats another post.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

From what I'm reading, I got INT on both plays.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

#2 I was told later that I need to be REAL careful with calling coaches interference, as this could have been explained away by the coach in many ways.... go figure.
This is true, but that is why you get the big bucks for making those tough decisions. However, if you can see the coach while he is screaming "here, here, here", you can pretty much tell whether that is being directed toward a runner or the fielder.

If you truly believe it is directed at the fielder, go ahead and make the call and begin the discussion with our favorite phrase.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Yeah... I felt that I should have made the call in #1 as the fielder was involved.... but I gotta ask, to have INT doesnt the play have to go awry? I mean, do i have to immediately have to call the runner out that was on second? or can i wait to see if F6 doesnt make the play and then using "judgement" on what would have happend call her out if F6 doesnt make the play?

In #2 the defensive coach just about went fist city with the third base coach... who just smiled.

BTW: both INT'eseses were done by the same team in same game... and they still lost. (cheaters never win and winners never get seen cheating)
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Yeah... I felt that I should have made the call in #1 as the fielder was involved.... but I gotta ask, to have INT doesnt the play have to go awry? I mean, do i have to immediately have to call the runner out that was on second? or can i wait to see if F6 doesnt make the play and then using "judgement" on what would have happend call her out if F6 doesnt make the play?

In #2 the defensive coach just about went fist city with the third base coach... who just smiled.

BTW: both INT'eseses were done by the same team in same game... and they still lost. (cheaters never win and winners never get seen cheating)
Must have been some game if you were the BU on the first one and PU on the second one.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Coach here. You should have thrown out the coach for UC. If presented with this same sitch, I would (as the opposing coach) also be in the coaches face letting him know what an Ahole he was.

There is no reason to let a coach directly influence the player in this manner.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
if you can see the coach while he is screaming "here, here, here", you can pretty much tell whether that is being directed toward a runner or the fielder.
Isn't as much the effect on the fielder (hindered or confused) as who it is directed to?
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Sit. 1. I would have killed the play, Dead Ball, Interference, Runner at Second Is OUT!!! No brainer. Textbook interference. As for DP, HTBT.

Sit. 2. This one's different. As soon as the 3rd base coach starts yelling, "here, here, here", my interest is piqued. I am thinking he should be telling his runner, "stay, stay" or "back, back". When F5 looks toward 3rd base coach, I have Dead Ball, and I'm going to call an out, but who do you call an out on, under USFA rules? How many outs were there? I don't think I have a DP on this one either, especially if F5 delayed her throw to keep the runner at 3rd close to 3rd base, but again, HTBT.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Isn't as much the effect on the fielder (hindered or confused) as who it is directed to?
The point is to be sure. The coach's obvious argument is going to be, "I was telling my runner to stay here point to the base.

That is why seeing the coach and his/her actions during the sequence would be the indicator on whether the coach was screaming the "directions" for the purpose of instructing the runner or distracting the fielder. If the fielder, that can be construed as INT.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The point is to be sure. The coach's obvious argument is going to be, "I was telling my runner to stay here point to the base.

That is why seeing the coach and his/her actions during the sequence would be the indicator on whether the coach was screaming the "directions" for the purpose of instructing the runner or distracting the fielder. If the fielder, that can be construed as INT.

And if not, that would be DMF, which personally I feel that it is anyway, at least to an extent.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
And if not, that would be DMF, which personally I feel that it is anyway, at least to an extent.
Do not disagree especially if the coach is a male. However, this is one of the things where the age and/or level of play could influence the judgment as whether it would be INT or not. Men's Major, not a shot; JO 12U, quite possible.
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do not disagree especially if the coach is a male. However, this is one of the things where the age and/or level of play could influence the judgment as whether it would be INT or not. Men's Major, not a shot; JO 12U, quite possible.
Won't argue with that. I was always leaving INT as possible, just not as likely in the second scenario.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.