The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

The possible LBR that I didnt call.

Yesterday, HS tourney... I'm BU.

R1@1B, Pitch w/ passed ball to the batter quickly retrieved, R1 steals. Ball returned to the pitcher, I'm trotting to C. R1 then trots back to first. I'm watching her go back, defense is confused and makes no play, I'm a little confused (did I miss foul ball?).. PU looks at me like WTF.. I look at him like WTF. Coach is asking her what the heck she is doing. Kind of funny.. thoughts were occurring to me like "Did she actually touch 2B and stop there or did she turn around before touching the base" "Be ready for a play on her if the ball is live" "Should I ring her up on LBR?"

Luckily no one questioned her going back and I didnt have to think and just went back to "B", everyone was happy (except the 1B coach , so I was happy.

Kinda strange.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder if F4 or F6 tried to fake her out by telling her that it was a foul ball.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

You said the ball was returned to F1 but didn't say when she actually took the ball into the circle in relation to the runner's retreat. I say this because often, F1 comes forward of the circle to take the return throw from F2 and the runner is not bound by LBR rule until F1 is back in the circle (both feet).

If the runner was stopped at 2B when F1 had ball in circle an then retreated she's out. If the runner started her retreat (even if she had stopped at 2B), before F1 returned to the circle, she's legal.

BU should watch runners until the ball is back into the circle, then PU should be watching the runners as you return to your position.

Sounds like your runner may have stole 2B and 1B on the same pitch.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue

Sounds like your runner may have stole 2B and 1B on the same pitch.
Yep, she stole 2 bases
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Yep, she stole 2 bases
Sounds like she's just trying to show off to me!
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

I wish I thought quicker, I would have asked the coach if she gets credit for stealing 2 bases.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

If she did touch 2b, and there was no foul ball, does this not fall into the realm of "making a travesty of the game" by stealing 1B?
It would be the first time I've seen this rule applied.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka
..."making a travesty of the game"....
What do you think of when you think "travesty" and what would a player be doing?

Running the bases in reverse is NOT illegal, and is done all the time... in a rundown, returning to touch a base left too soon or a base missed, returning because the base needs to be available for the runner ahead who is returning for some reason, etc.

What I visualize a player is doing when "making a travesty of the game" is some kind of mocking behavior or other behavior not related to playing the game.

Rule 8-3-D says
Quote:
D. A runner shall not run bases in reverse order to confuse the fielders nor to make a travesty of the game.
EFFECT: The ball is dead and the runner is out.
It is not the running of the bases in reverse that is illegal, it is the REASON the bases are run in reverse that is illegal.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Curioustiy Wade - who's responsibility was that runner?

In the games I do, PU will take responsibility for the runner while BU gets to next starting position, then BU has all responsigbility for the runner(s) so PU can get back to the plate.

You saying you were jogging to 'C' suggests that this was PU's job - so I understand the WTF look from you - but why from PU?
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M

In the games I do, PU will take responsibility for the runner while BU gets to next starting position, then BU has all responsigbility for the runner(s) so PU can get back to the plate.

You saying you were jogging to 'C' suggests that this was PU's job - so I understand the WTF look from you - but why from PU?
Could be.. but I wouldnt duck responsibility on this one if someone was to get dinged. Hes a good umpire, one of the few I really enjoy working with (for the most part, he does have some quirks that irritate me.. like he is a shirt tuck nazi) and was watching. Rules and mechanics, he is very good. Our norm during all the games I've worked with him was he released me, then i would release him (and visa versa when I'm PU)
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Could be.. but I wouldnt duck responsibility on this one if someone was to get dinged. Hes a good umpire, one of the few I really enjoy working with (for the most part, he does have some quirks that irritate me.. like he is a shirt tuck nazi) and was watching. Rules and mechanics, he is very good. Our norm during all the games I've worked with him was he released me, then i would release him (and visa versa when I'm PU)
I didn't say anything about one getting dinged & the other not. Been there, just recently. While my partner had released me & was supposed to be watching - it was our team that got dinged. And the partner is a really good ump, he just had a brain cramp - I'd work with him again in an instant.
Oh, and I suspect we've all got some quirk or another.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M

Watching a Div II game yesterday and loved the guys working the game. Anytime there were active runners and both ended up in the infield, they would kill the ball and move back into position.

Hmmmm.....what a novel idea
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
they would kill the ball and move back into position.
Hmmmm.....what a novel idea
I know...I don't understand the reason for not calling time to get back in position. It is always preached to not call time unless absolutely necessary. Game will take the same amount of time if you called "time" or not.

How many times can I say time in a sentence?
Old Sun Apr 20, 2008, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

If things out there are goofy, the PU can just call time to clean the plate; I doubt this would have qualified for that. It was very quick.

This wasnt one of those deals were time may be needed, this was a routine normal stand up steal without a play even expected or tried.

Just lapsed out, couldnt honestly tell you if she touched 2nd base. I would guess she did, probably stopped, and by rule should have been out for LBR.. but dunno for sure.

Gotta watch even on the most routine stuff. Reality is, this could have been a nightmare if things went astray and coaches were paying attention/knew the rules and all that stuff.

It was confusing and funny thing that happens. No harm done.. but if I were to critique myself.. watch always! You really never know!