The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: For timed games, I...
Use my wrist watch (on my wrist) and fumble / mumble through hours:mins math 1 1.52%
Use my watch (not on my wrist) but still fumble / mumble through hours:mins math 10 15.15%
Use a countup timer, but fumble / mumble with hours:min math when coach asks for time left 6 9.09%
Use a countdown timer that beeps when time expires so I never even have to look at it 30 45.45%
Put a timer on the fence for all to see because it is required where I umpire 8 12.12%
Put a timer on the fence even though they are banned. I like contributing to the collection. 0 0%
Put a timer on the fence because I like it that way. 8 12.12%
I use my cell phone, fumble / mumble with hrs:min math. It hasn't been hit yet 3 4.55%
I pretend to use a timer / watch but actually I shave time. You think I have all day here? 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 10, 2012, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

When I did timed games I used a stop watch.
Told team the time limit of the game and that my watch was the final word on game ending time.
When I pushed the start button I announced that the clock is running to both teams, they can now check their watches and write it down.
If a coach ask me how much time was left my reply was you still have time and that I will let you know when you do not.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2012, 04:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Great game management technique....
We're the epitome of local league (only four teams at the moment, all umpires are league players as well) so we're already on a good rapport.

It's not like the coaches don't have watches--they know very well when the game started and how long we play. And as I said I giving regular time checks from about 4th inning (which is usually around 10 minutes left on a 50 minute NNI game).

I basically tell them because we have a mix of rookies who have never played before and very experienced players. At this point in our league we're trying to retain the new players (especially female) and the worst way to do that is having the more experience players use cheap stall tactics to get out of an NNI situation.