The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

We have this one school in our association where the scorekeeper and timer like to run their mouths and make a visual display of their displeasure at foul calls. I was trail table side when there is a scramble for a loose ball. The ball is accidentally kicked. I hear from the timer "Kicked ball!". I respond, without taking my eyes off of the play, "It has to be intentional." He replies "Doesn't matter". I replied "Yes, it does!" and went about my business.

These guys also shake their head when they don't like the call.

I talked it over with my partner and we decided to do nothing about it.

How do you handle the table and when do you ask for them to be removed? When is it that they cross the line? The school is near my house and I forsee doing more of their games. I don't want to create a hostile situation every time I show up there, but I also want them to be non-partisan.

I heard a story similar to this. The scorekeeper was complaining about fouls against her team. The ref had had enough and had her removed. It turned out she was the coaches wife! LOL

Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

The first time I hear them comment about the calls I explain to them that they are part of a team, the officials team and that if they make a mistake we'll help them but that they shouldn't be commenting on the officials.

If it continues past that, I'm finding a new scorer and timer. I have had to do that once.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 04:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My guess is that if you quietly explain to them the potential consequences of their actions (do so discreetly so as not to unnecessarily raise their defenses), they'll behave. I'd be willing to bet money that once they get replaced, they'll be nicer next time.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Tell them they are part of your team (make sure is it done without the rest of the world knowing what your doing)

Another option...ask the game management to have a talk with them and explain to them that they have to be impartial to sit at the table. Game management is normally willing to talk to them for you and then if you have to ask them to remove the keepers they won't be as surprised.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

During the next ball I would quietly lean over the table and let them know that we are all a team here. I would do so as not to embarass them or have anyone else know what I am doing.

I let them know that I do not shake my head if my partner does not call something and I will not get upset with them if they forget to start the clock or forget to add the score correctly, I therefore need your help in being a nuetral party. If you feel that you get so wrapped up in the moment of the game to where you can not do that I do not mind if you get someone else to take yor place.

I basically kind of give them the option of either keeping score and time with me and my partner or being a fan sitting in the stands.

I usually do not have any problems after that, but I have had to replace a bookeeper once.

I hope this helps you.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

When I go to check the book I introduce myself to the table crew, briefly go over procedures & ask if they have any questions. The last thing I say (with a grin) is "Remember you're part of the officials crew - anyone gives you a hard time, let us know & we'll take care of it......and you can root for anyone you want as long as they're wearing black & white striped shirts." Just a gentle reminder in a friendly manner.........
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 06:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Years ago, I had a scorer who refused to enter a technical foul for a player into the scorebook. I called the T due to excessive profanity. I reported it that way. He said the player was his son and that his son would "never say anything like that". He then folded his arms and just stared at me.

He watched the rest of the game from the parking lot.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, at that point I might be tempted to check with the visitors book to see if the "T" was properly entered, compare the two books and then inform them that we will now be using the visitors book as the offical book due to errors in the home book.

Play ball!
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Question

Have you also noticed that these scorekeepers usually reflect the attitude of the coaches and fans? I've had the worst luck with scorekeepers with coaches and fans that are mouthy in general amd show bad sportsmanship routinely.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

My response in these situations has always been, 'my job is already tough enough, I don't need that kind of input from you...' Normally this is limited to lower level type non-sense and isn't real common.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 07:19pm
M.A.S.H.

Never had any problems with the time keeper. Can't say the same for the score keeper. Last year, 7/8th game, the visiting team's score keeper thought he could run his mouth. I called a foul and reported it, he said something to the effect: "that call was bull****". I said, you are not even suppose to be making any comments like that, he said "I just did", ok see ya later. Tossed him. No problems (yet) this year!
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

tjones,
If you ever do any MC games (7/8 - V) you'll work with the best timer I have ever seen. He has saved several guys, myself and a partner included one night,on more than one occasion by not starting the clock when he knew we had made a mistake are were about to make a possession mistake, etc. Normally, I wouldn't want this from a timer, but this guy has been doing the clock forever and is always right!

Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:27pm
M.A.S.H.

Haven't got to go down there yet. Working on it though--it's a little far during the week, but I'd go down for an early Saturday game or something like that.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

If you get a chance to work the Middle School, it will be the best floor MS or HS that you'll work for miles around here, plus it is very bright and roomy. My knees love it. Good referee room, too.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:17pm
M.A.S.H.

Might have to make a call down there and see what I can stir up! Trying to get in the door for G JV/V, but my arms don't reach that far yet!