The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I forget what they are called, but why isn't the NCAA using the packs on the officials for tournament games. The same thing happened in the BC game, extra time ran off and they had to go put more back on.

The system works, and the officials are used to it (most conferences use it), so why not implement? I hate delays!
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Last year the NCAA tourney didn't use the precision timing because not all of the venues were equipped for it.

It takes some set up and testing in the arena. Stray noise can sometimes mess with the system.

BktballRef had good info on this last year and likely will know more.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

They haven't used it in the past two seasons. No all venues have it, the NCAA is unwilling to purchase it for those venues, and PT is unwilling to provide it for free. So if they can't use it everywhere, they dn't use it at all.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

You mentioned that not all arenas are equipped for it. Do you think that it is something that in the future all arenas wishing to host tournament games will be required to be equipped for it?

Thankfully the monitor can be used. Without it, some teams might get screwed.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly, I don't think the NCAA is that enthralled with it. They're only playing in 8 venues. The system is portable. They have millions and millions of dollars available. If they really wanted it, they could afford to buy it.

Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Maybe this is 100% wrong, but I wonder if the NCAA would want officials using it for the first time in a tournament game. I know many conferences never use the precision timing system...
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

One problem with using precision timing is that if it's implimented, then there's no justification for the stop-clock signal on out-of-bounds plays.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2006, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

the NCAA should definitely implement the PT system for next years tournament. I'll bet I've seen at least 10 games in which the clocks were slow to stop and time had to be readjusted or at least reviewed.

We're only talking about purchasing systems for 14 sites (1 opening round site, 8 first/second rd sites, 4 Regional sites, and 1 Final Four location). It's not THAT big of an expense for the NCAA.....there must be some other rationale as to why they don't use it.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

As far as the concern of using PT for the first time in a tournament game, that is not a factor. Precision time can be used to only stop the clock on a whistle. The clock can then be re-started by the table. It has been used this way during the past two years at the Kentucky High School Athletic Association state tournaments with absolutely no problems. The officials do not have to worry about 'being used to' the system. They are just fitted with the microphones and then they work the game just like they usually do.
Old Mon Apr 03, 2006, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbduke
One problem with using precision timing is that if it's implimented, then there's no justification for the stop-clock signal on out-of-bounds plays.
The timer operates the clock just as he normally does. Therefore, the same signals are required.