The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Timer / watch (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/46161-timer-watch.html)

Dakota Tue Jul 08, 2008 01:20pm

Timer / watch

Just for fun... when you do timed games, what "equipment" do you use?

RKBUmp Tue Jul 08, 2008 01:33pm

Local ump sent me to Target in the kitchen section. They have a double timer, fairly small unit. Each timer can be set individually so it makes it nice for no new inning and drop dead games. I believe it was $11.95.

AtlUmpSteve Tue Jul 08, 2008 01:36pm

I have broken, lost, or forgotten and left on a fence way too many "timers" over the years to use that item. I have been buying inexpensive Timex, Armitron, or equivalent (in the $20 to $30 range) multifunction sports watches with countdown timers, and use them as my primary watch and timer. I keep it in my pocket, ball bag, or hang it from a belt loop (if/when championship dress isn't an issue).

I generally announce when it is that I am starting the clock, add what time is on mine, and suggest they look at their own to see what time they have. I prefer the countdown function that will beep when time is up, to a count-up timer that requires more attention from me. I also prefer not doing any math to calculate how much time is left, when asked. In any event, the combination of announcing "we're on the clock", and "I have 6:31 on my watch; you can look at your's to see what time YOU have", and answering whenever asked how much time is left, have made the fact that it isn't hanging on a fence "for all to see" (as well to help one or both teams to attempt to manipulate) a non-issue.

If there is both a "no new" time and a "drop dead" time, I set for the "drop dead", then check when necessary to see if/when we are past the "no new" time.

Chess Ref Tue Jul 08, 2008 01:36pm

I use to go with a small Timex in my ball bag...but I've gone to the dark side and now use a kitchen timer....:rolleyes:

It just seems to save the uneeded conversations at the end of games. Now timer goes off EVERYBODY knows time has expired.....:)

CecilOne Tue Jul 08, 2008 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota

Mask,chest protector, cup,shin guards, indicator, brush, flip coin, lineup holder. ;)
Oh, you mean timinq equpment. :)

A stop watch in my pocket (Casio "multifunction sports watch").
A display timer if the tournament or UIC provides one.
I do not synchronize time of day with anyone, just announce "timer starting now".
In most tourneys, that is shortly after the plate conference, when I have told the coaches the above.

SRW Tue Jul 08, 2008 01:41pm

Quote:

My wrist watch, which I put in the half-pocket in my ball-bag.

Before we break from the plate conference, I tell the coaches that the time begins on the first game pitch. After the first pitch comes in and F2 is throwing it back, I look at the time and make a mental note. At the half-inning, I write it on one of the lineups for reference. I then add the time limit (i.e.: do the math) at that time while I'm waiting and write that right below the first time.

When the coach asks me how much time is left, I look at my watch and tell him. If he questions further, I can pull out the lineup and show him that I noted the time earlier.

SRW Tue Jul 08, 2008 01:45pm

Quote:

Put a timer on the fence even though they are banned. I like contributing to the collection.
a$s.

:p :rolleyes:

MichaelVA2000 Tue Jul 08, 2008 02:21pm

Quote:

During tournaments where the UIC wants a timer on the fence, I use an Eagle Timer. Otherwise I use a carabiner clip watch that's worn on a belt loop. It's long enough that the watch enters the top of my front pocket.

NM FP Ump Tue Jul 08, 2008 03:56pm

I put the countdown timer on the fence, after pregame I walk over to the timer, announce we are on the clock and hit the start button. Then I ask the official book what time he has and write it on their lineup card. Covers all the bases, so far.

Stu Clary Tue Jul 08, 2008 05:03pm

None of the above. I cut the straps off of a wrist watch and velcroved it to the back of my indicator.

Stu Clary Tue Jul 08, 2008 05:06pm

BTW...

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=21426

Dutch Alex Tue Jul 08, 2008 05:19pm

I also don't use any of these: I've got the official scorer to keep time...;)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jul 08, 2008 05:32pm

There is no option for me.

I keep a watch in my left hip pocket and have had absolutely no problem with the math since the Kinddergarten.

dtwsd Tue Jul 08, 2008 05:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Clary
None of the above. I cut the straps off of a wrist watch and velcroved it to the back of my indicator.

Ditto

Dholloway1962 Tue Jul 08, 2008 05:53pm

I use countdown time but keep it in vibrating mode. That way I know when it is up and it feels so good when it goes off :cool: