The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

We had a playoff game yesterday. I am BJ. QB threw a ball toward the sideline and no one there. Specifically, no one even outside the hash mark to throw to. I am watching the receivers, didn't see the QB do it. Play is over and coach from the other sideline is yelling for IG. White hat walks toward the open area and the linesman and me. He asks if there was anyone in the area. (coach still yelling as we work on this) We both say no. White hat throws a flag (got lots of air under it). One of the best examples of talking it over and getting it right. This kind of officiating makes me proud of the job we did yesterday. Both teams got a good job from us. Last year we had a similar situation and it was a no-call but the white hat didn't check with us. We agreed after that game to confer next time.

Between the white hat and me, we have about 65 years of officiating experience. Just shows we can ALWAYS get better.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Nice example of working as a crew to "get it right." Great job and thanks for sharing!
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
We normally work it the other way round. If the R believes that there was reason to flag the play he will. If there was a player that was near and wasn't seen, or a player fell down on the way into the area, etc. then the official in that area will communicate to the R the situation.
If the R believes that this has a bearing he will pick-up the flag.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I had something similiar but I threw the flag and then questioned my wing an BJ if there was a receiver in the area the QB was trying to throw to. The actual throw hit a lineman in the back as the QB was starting to go down when he threw the ball. The was a receiver downfield so I waved off the flag. Better to flag it and then wave it off then to throw it a minute of two late and not be sure of the spot the QB threw it from I feel.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

Similar with me recently.
First time ever as deel offical (SJ!!)
I see hard contact on my key and shortly after the ball in the air so I aired my flag for OPI.
Coming in I had to get the LJ's attention to ask him if it was over the LOS or not (he lost focus I guess). It wasn'T so I just reported to the WH to wave off the flag. But throw it, then check and sort it out.

James