The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 02:48pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Did I witness the (in)famous fist pump?

Last night's Co-Ed Softball Game:

We had a fairly decent umpire (if one ignores the usual "deep" and "hit the plate" stuff anyways. )

A few times, though, I noticed him signalling where he put his fists together as if he was holding an imaginary bat and banging them together twice. All I could think of was "Is this the first-pumping I read about on the officiating forum?"

I'm not quite sure what it means, but my top two choices would be:

(1) Pitch is a ball because it jammed the player, or
(2) Ok guys, I'd like to get a chance to bat, too.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Wed Jun 25, 2008 at 02:50pm.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Is that not hitting the plate? I know from doing USSSA if it hit the plate it was not a strike. I am pretty sure that is what he was doing. Did he do it instead of calling a strike or ball? If so, it signals the ball hitting the plate. If he did it some other time, your guess is as good as mine.

Another one is the ump tapping his shoulder. Used to tell the pitcher he was deep and over the front shoulder.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

I hate it when...

umpires "commentate" pitches. "Ball, deep" or "Ball, outside" with the "appropriate hand signal".

I asked a partner of mine one night during our slow pitch league how he would call a pitch that was no higher than 10' and landed 3" behind the tip of the plate. His response was "Strike". I then asked him why he wouldn't say "Strike, right down the middle". I made my point and he is working losing this bad habit.

There is no hand signal for the ball hitting the plate. Nor is there one for a pitch that is "deep" or "inside" or "outside". They are all just "Ball".

Also, the hitting of the hands together as if you are holding a bat has been known to signify "good call" from your partner.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

I stopped doing the "Mashed Potato" behind the plate a long time ago.

Yep, sounds like you witnessed it. No, it's not an approved ASA hand signal.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Did the same guy ever call out "Gotta be"?
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 04:09pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorman75
Is that not hitting the plate? I know from doing USSSA if it hit the plate it was not a strike. I am pretty sure that is what he was doing. Did he do it instead of calling a strike or ball? If so, it signals the ball hitting the plate. If he did it some other time, your guess is as good as mine.

Another one is the ump tapping his shoulder. Used to tell the pitcher he was deep and over the front shoulder.
In this league, the umpire usually just says "hit the plate," but maybe he threw in that signal for variety.

In the first game I attended this year, we had an umpire call a ball that hit the plate as such and I had to keep from calling out "yeah, but is it a ball or a strike?" (since honestly, I didn't know that hitting the plate is a ball in SP up until that point)

I've seen the deep signal used so often this summer, I'm thinking of bringing swim trunks to the playoffs if our team qualifies

Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 05:11pm
softball_junky

I don't use it but I have seen this before. I think he was saying 3 balls 2 strikes (full count)
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 05:14pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by softball_junky
I don't use it but I have
seen this before. I think he was saying 3 balls 2 strikes (full count)
I hate that "mechanic". I have yet to see any of my partners use the double fist pump but pitch location commentary has been plenty. I think I confuse some of the players by just calling ball, strike or illegal with the DDB signal. I haven't gotten all of the "advanced mechanics" such as the deep signal and low and not quite over the plate down yet.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
I hate that "mechanic". I have yet to see any of my partners use the double fist pump but pitch location commentary has been plenty. I think I confuse some of the players by just calling ball, strike or illegal with the DDB signal. I haven't gotten all of the "advanced mechanics" such as the deep signal and low and not quite over the plate down yet.
Sounds like someone needs to hit a few more clinics.

Oh wait... I'm not talking about you. It's them!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When i first started I know I confused them by just calling balls,strikes and DDB illegal pitch.

But my favorite is when the pitcher, usually with 2 strikes, pitches one into the ozone layer, I call illegal and then asks "TOO high blue ? "

I've thought about replying something smart-a$$ey but they might not get it....
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

I called one illegal the other night.

PITCHER: "How high was it?"

ME: "Twelve-one"
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 09:42pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

AA Moments

Last night, the opposing pitcher bounced one off the plate and wanted to know what was wrong with the pitch.

I'll definitely look to see if the double fist pump comes when the ball hits the plate or on the rare full count.

It's been interesting after scoring 10 years of high school fastpitch to transition to slow pitch. Even with the non-mechanics and occasional AA moments, it has been fun.

Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

I don't officiate slowpitch, but in the USSSA league I play in many of the PU's use the aforementioned hand signal to mean "ball hit the plate".
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 12:54am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
When i first started I know I confused them by just calling balls,strikes and DDB illegal pitch.

But my favorite is when the pitcher, usually with 2 strikes, pitches one into the ozone layer, I call illegal and then asks "TOO high blue ? "

I've thought about replying something smart-a$$ey but they might not get it....
After tonight, I might be starting to understand why some of these guys need things like this explained to them in greater detail.

In one of tonight's men's games, I had an R1 at 2B with 1 out. Batter hits a fly to center, which is caught. R1 tags and runs for third, arriving there safely without a play. The pitcher calls for the cut off and goes to appeal that R1 left too soon. R1 panics and leaves 3B, sprinting back to 2B. R1 runs past the pitcher, and the pitcher doesn't think to tag him. The pitcher steps on 2B to appeal and I rule the runner safe just as R1 steps on 2B without being tagged. The pitcher then turns his back to R1, who has stepped off the bag towards 1B (his dugout is on the 3rd base line so I have no idea what in the Hades he is doing). R1 realizes I never called him out and steps back on 2B.

We finally call time and R1 looks at me and says "So what do I do now?" I reply, "Be thankful you're still safe and stay on 2B."

"But blue...I WAS on 3rd."

I give him the "You've gotta be kidding me" look, just then the light bulb goes off in his head and we resume play.

This is one of the strangest "simple" plays I've seen in quite some time. I think I need to start calling "low, high, deep" and maybe even "gotta be".
Old Thu Jun 26, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After tonight, I might be starting to understand why some of these guys need things like this explained to them in greater detail.

In one of tonight's men's games, I had an R1 at 2B with 1 out. Batter hits a fly to center, which is caught. R1 tags and runs for third, arriving there safely without a play. The pitcher calls for the cut off and goes to appeal that R1 left too soon. R1 panics and leaves 3B, sprinting back to 2B. R1 runs past the pitcher, and the pitcher doesn't think to tag him. The pitcher steps on 2B to appeal and I rule the runner safe just as R1 steps on 2B without being tagged. The pitcher then turns his back to R1, who has stepped off the bag towards 1B (his dugout is on the 3rd base line so I have no idea what in the Hades he is doing). R1 realizes I never called him out and steps back on 2B.

We finally call time and R1 looks at me and says "So what do I do now?" I reply, "Be thankful you're still safe and stay on 2B."

"But blue...I WAS on 3rd."

I give him the "You've gotta be kidding me" look, just then the light bulb goes off in his head and we resume play.

This is one of the strangest "simple" plays I've seen in quite some time. I think I need to start calling "low, high, deep" and maybe even "gotta be".
It's not just Men's SP.....

Working solo Tues night, 18u FP, ASA rules, R1 on 2nd. B2 squares to bunt, pitch comes in high and inside. As B2 backs away from pitch, she sticks her bat out trying to bunt the ball and misses. F2 does not catch the pitch and the ball goes to the backstop. R1 takes off for 3rd. I point at the bat and say, "Yes, she did!" then give the hammer for the strike.

Ball is returned to F1, I get set behind F2 and notice R1 now jogging back to second base. I didn't see if she left the base while the ball was in the circle, so I didn't say anything at that point. the pitcher turned and watched R1 go back to second, then prepared to pitch.

After the inning, the first base coach came by and asked why I sent the runner back to second...my reply; "I didn't."

Come to find out later in the game one of the other coaches told me, "I heard the ball hit the bat, so I sent her back"

On the other hand...they were all male coaches, probably SP players.....