The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I was just "assuming" the OP said "before they can reach first base, ... snip ... slow down and alter their base path prior to reaching first base"
Well, as I said before, I'm looking at this as "the runner was obstructed while rounding first base." Splitting the hair of before vs. after, in this sitch, is taking it a little too far. I think I'd protect them between 1st and 2nd, as the OBS, in my judgment, occurred AT 1B.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
For example, a batter gets a hit to the outfield, and before they can reach first base, they realize F3 is standing inches off the second base side of first base. They slow down and alter their base path prior to reaching first base. Are they now protected between home and first, or are they protected between first and second?
Cecil, I understand what you are saying; I also understand what Mike is saying.

If F3 is standing on 1st base, or, as stated, "inches off the second base side", I don't just rule based on the "slow down and alter prior to reaching first base." As I see this, the runner was hindered starting then ("prior to"), and continued to be hindered as she turned, and until she was again running in the path she chose, and at the speed she would have had absent the obstruction (and that includes SOME place after the base). So, even though I don't believe that BR is awarded 2nd unless I judge she would have made it, I do believe she needs to be protected if she makes that attempt.

I hope that is what Mike is trying to say; regardless, it is how I rule on any obstruction at or on a base, the one the NCAA calls "rounding" obstruction.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve

If F3 is standing on 1st base, or, as stated, "inches off the second base side", I don't just rule based on the "slow down and alter prior to reaching first base." As I see this, the runner was hindered starting then ("prior to"), and continued to be hindered as she turned, and until she was again running in the path she chose, and at the speed she would have had absent the obstruction (and that includes SOME place after the base). So, even though I don't believe that BR is awarded 2nd unless I judge she would have made it, I do believe she needs to be protected if she makes that attempt.

I hope that is what Mike is trying to say; regardless, it is how I rule on any obstruction at or on a base, the one the NCAA calls "rounding" obstruction.
Same idea, different words. Thanks
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Me too, and I also agree that the OBS would continue/reoccur after 1st.

It's just that if you don't say OBS affected the BR before 1st, there would be a possibility of a play making an apparent out at 1st. I guess not in the OP the way Bob presented it, but some balls to the outfield are played to 1st; not always expected by the BR.