The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I'll bring it up at the board meeting I guess. I'm not going to press it if I'm going to get dumb answers like that. Obviously ASA was ill prepared for what everyone knew was going to happen... well except ASA.
Ill-prepared for what?

ASA made no changes and should not have to go out of their way to accommodate people who are not smart enough to know in what tournament/league they are participating.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Ill-prepared for what?

ASA made no changes and should not have to go out of their way to accommodate people who are not smart enough to know in what tournament/league they are participating.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Yes they do. We deal with a lot of teams that "are not smart enough"... and it was predicted many times this would happen. There is absolutely no guidance on how to handle it. I'll be working a huge 18G NQ next week. What do I do? what ever I get told to do, it wont be out of the rule book.. since there is nothing there.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes they do. We deal with a lot of teams that "are not smart enough"... and it was predicted many times this would happen. There is absolutely no guidance on how to handle it. I'll be working a huge 18G NQ next week. What do I do? what ever I get told to do, it wont be out of the rule book.. since there is nothing there.
I believe Wade is correct. Actually, this was even foretold by Nostradamus in one of his last, and most obscure, quatrains. I believe it went something like:

The one with the four letters shall deviate from the palindrome with three,
On the dusty field of combat young women will don blades on their feet,
The one in blue shall wade in to them proclaiming the laws are not set forth,
And he shall be made to take the heat.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
There is absolutely no guidance on how to handle it. I'll be working a huge 18G NQ next week. What do I do?
Rule 3, Section 6

...If a player is requested by the umpire to remove jewelry, illegal shoes or illegal parts of the uniform and they refuse, the player will not be allowed to play.

Handle it exactly like you would the jewelry rule. If they don't comply with your request, they can't play. No ejection, just not allowed to participate. If they want to play, they will comply.

"Coach, player A can't play until she complies with the rule. Who is going to replace her?"

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"

Last edited by MNBlue; Thu Jun 19, 2008 at 08:39am.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

I have to agree that it is not ASA'a fault for maintaining the status quo, and to put the blame on them just doesn't make sense. As MNBlue states above, if they don't comply with the rules, then they don't participate. As far as I am concerned this is really a non-issue.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
I believe Wade is correct. Actually, this was even foretold by Nostradamus in one of his last, and most obscure, quatrains. I believe it went something like:

Thanks Bob. That's a keeper.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
Rule 3, Section 6

...If a player is requested by the umpire to remove jewelry, illegal shoes or illegal parts of the uniform and they refuse, the player will not be allowed to play.

Handle it exactly like you would the jewelry rule. If they don't comply with your request, they can't play. No ejection, just not allowed to participate. If they want to play, they will comply.

"Coach, player A can't play until she complies with the rule. Who is going to replace her?"
Thats a very nice rule when it takes two seconds to remove an ear ring..

What if they agree and 10 minutes later, they are still agreeing, changing the cleat things on the bottom of their cleats, digging in their cars and bags looking for cleats or shoes.. etc.. but the other coach is not so agreeing that get as long as they want to agree and the game is a time limit game?
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob

That is pretty good
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
What if they agree and 10 minutes later, they are still agreeing, changing the cleat things on the bottom of their cleats, digging in their cars and bags looking for cleats or shoes.. etc.. but the other coach is not so agreeing that get as long as they want to agree and the game is a time limit game?
"Coach, who is your sub for player A?"

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
Thanks Bob. That's a keeper.
It mentioned wade, but said nothing about the girls sprawled on the ground, crying.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am surprised at you, wade. You've made this claim a couple of times about no guidance on how to handle it. Phooey. It is illegal equipment, treated the same as any other illegal equipment (other than a bat). Remove it from the game. If the player refuses to remove it from the game, that player cannot play. Simple. No ejections. No threats. No need to get official rulings from higher ups. No ejections. No forfeits (unless the player refusing to remove the cleats makes the team drop below 8 players).

I truly do not understand all the drama here.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
"Coach, who is your sub for player A?"
Actually, the rule book specifically states that such action results in a forfeit. Play under the given rules or go home. Like it or not, that is exactly what the teams agree to when they sign their roster and enter a tournament.

However, as previously stated, that is something that should be avoided and used as an absolute last resort in dealing with a problematic team.

I have no problem just sitting the player until the proper footwear is attained and worn. A little lecture to the coach about how he just avoided forfeiting the game due to your generosity might be in order if the umpire feels it necessary to get a point across.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I am surprised at you, wade. You've made this claim a couple of times about no guidance on how to handle it. Phooey. It is illegal equipment, treated the same as any other illegal equipment (other than a bat). Remove it from the game. If the player refuses to remove it from the game, that player cannot play. Simple. No ejections. No threats. No need to get official rulings from higher ups. No ejections. No forfeits (unless the player refusing to remove the cleats makes the team drop below 8 players).

I truly do not understand all the drama here.
YOu might want to read what I said because I already said they agreed.. they just took forever.

To keep saying "yada yada yada if they refuse remove them from the game" is useless.

And no one is allowing a forfeit... so some real rules and guidance certainly would be nice.

This team was 9+1 sub with their only pitcher having metal cleats and other players with metal cleats.

Its not a drama, its a situation that was handled by making up rules because ASA doesnt have a usable rule.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Thu Jun 19, 2008 at 07:45pm.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...Its not a drama, its a situation that was handled by making up rules because ASA doesnt have a usable rule.
That is just plain not true. The ASA rule says the players are not allowed to play with illegal equipment. If the team cannot field a team of legally equipped players, they forfeit the game.

If forfeits are not allowed, the problem is with those who disallow the forfeits, not with the ASA rules.

Oh, I forgot... you Cali boys all think "ASA" is the same as your local HMFICs.

Last edited by Dakota; Thu Jun 19, 2008 at 09:48pm.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
That is just plain not true. The ASA rule says the players are not allowed to play with illegal equipment. If the team cannot field a team of legally equipped players, they forfeit the game.

If forfeits are not allowed, the problem is with those who disallow the forfeits, not with the ASA rules.

Oh, I forgot... you Cali boys all think "ASA" is the same as your local HMFICs.

So I take it you disagree with ASA needing a new metal cleat rule since their current rule is so wonderful?

I.e. Go ahead, walk on the field with them, play with them until caught, then when caught by the umpire, get told to go change them... go to the dugout and change them come back on the field.

Thats your idea of a good rule?

I disagree.. that is not a good rule.

They should
A) Legalize them.
(preferred)

B) create a usable rule.