The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Are you seeing metal cleats in summer play?

This past week was the first tournament (USSSAA) since high school play ended in this area. Sure enough, there were several U16 teams with metal cleats. I took the issue to the TD and he decided to let them play. (Hard to eject every team member, and some teams were 30 to 50 miles from home.) Scary liability issue.

Actually, my experience with a full H.S. season and now one tournament weekend, is that metal cleats are not a safety issue. I am aware of zero injuries. Still - when it is against the rules and you're letting them play, you have to feel some concern.

So - how many of you have faced this issue? How have you, or the TD's handled it?

WMB
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Actually had a very tough situation this weekend... tournament. I'm standing there watching the pitcher warm up (2nd inning).. she is gardening the circle... Metal Cleats. "Rule changed they are allowed this year blue etc etc etc etc"... short stop metal cleats. I tell the coach he needs to get em all legally equipped if I catch one after this they are ejected.

The right fielder also has metal cleats

Ok so pitcher starts changing her pegs from metal to plastic, ss puts on street shoes (coach comment "be careful out there, hopefully this doesnt get you hurt"), RF has another pair of cleats.

Waiting. Other coach starts complaining that this real tournament etc. To be honest, I wasnt sure what to do.

So I started calling balls. One walk and 3 balls on the next batter and pitcher is in the circle.

That team of course loses by 2 runs.

It is really starting to suck.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 09:38am.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Speaking USSSA:

Rule 2.4A:...Metal cleats and metal toe plates are prohibited in the 8 and under thru the 18 and under, including 18 and under major division. PENALTY: Metal cleats is a serious offense and results in the offender being ejected. Metal toe plates must be removed prior to continuing play.

I believe ASA has a similar ruling. I've yet to see a problem with any on the tournament teams wearing metal cleats in this area. However, I didn't see any metal cleats during the spring high school season, so this is probably just a carry over from that.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Ejecting 3 players wasnt happening. To do so in reality at a regular tournament would have been big trouble. I did seek out TD but of course, no where to be found.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

We've had minimal issues with it. We see it, then tell them they can't wear metal in ASA... they change shoes. No big deal.

However, I've been reminding coaches at the pre-game about it now. I just mention that, "as a reminder, no metal cleats are allowed today. If your players have them on, they need to change. If we find a player with cleats, they'll not be allowed to play until they remove them from their feet." It fixes itself at that point.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Actually had a very tough situation this weekend... tournament. I'm standing there watching the pitcher warm up (2nd inning).. she is gardening the circle... Metal Cleats. "Rule changed they are allowed this year blue etc etc etc etc"... short stop metal cleats. I tell the coach he needs to get em all legally equipped if I catch one after this they are ejected.

The right fielder also has metal cleats

Ok so pitcher starts changing her pegs from metal to plastic, ss puts on street shoes (coach comment "be careful out there, hopefully this doesnt get you hurt"), RF has another pair of cleats.

Waiting. Other coach starts complaining that this real tournament etc. To be honest, I wasnt sure what to do.

So I started calling balls. One walk and 3 balls on the next batter and pitcher is in the circle.

That team of course loses by 2 runs.

It is really starting to suck.
Was this not an official suspension of play? That is the way I think I would have handled it.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Two weeks ago in Rock Hill, SC a player was wearing metal cleats. Games were being played under ASA rules. TD just had her switch to tennis shoes since she did not have other cleats.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
However, I've been reminding coaches at the pre-game about it now.
I definitely do agree with that,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
"as a reminder, no metal cleats are allowed today
Is it possible that this sounds arbitrary or temporary, as opposed to "no metal cleats are allowed under XXX rules"?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Was this not an official suspension of play? That is the way I think I would have handled it.
actually, I could have walked 10 batters in the amount of time this took probably. I had to do something.. they sat there screwing and unscrewing cleats things, digging in bags, whimpering. The other coach was the offended party and was definitely complaining after about 5 mins. I did not stop the clock. Like I said, I did not know really what to do. How is this an official suspension of play? I dunno, maybe you are right!

LUCKILY it was pool play but still, I will be talking to my bosses and finding out what they want done.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Saw this situation this weekend.

What a mess and such a time waster.

At the point the blue noticed metal cleats he called the coaches together and instructed the coaches to have all metal removed. At that point the entire infield left the field to change, borrow and steal rubber cleats. Later in the game one of the coaches made a pitching change. Before the pitcher could warm up the pitcher leaving had to change shoes with the incoming pitcher.

I really would like too see ASA, have penalties, similar to high school, for non compliance with certain rules, i.e. jewelery, metal cleats, batting helmets without straps, etc.

Currently the girls will try and get away with these infractions as long as possible as there is no penalty.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGKBLUE

I really would like too see ASA, have penalties, similar to high school, for non compliance with certain rules, i.e. jewelery, metal cleats, batting helmets without straps, etc.
ASA does have a penalty for anyone who violates the rules after a warning. It is a forfeit and that is something you would like to avoid.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

NSA has an ejection. Also an out if found on offensive
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
ASA does have a penalty for anyone who violates the rules after a warning. It is a forfeit and that is something you would like to avoid.
I agree that a forfeit should be avoided whereever possible. I would think that in a tournament where forfeits need to be approved by the UIC and tournament director, that no such forfeit would be approved for metal cleats or jewelery.

That is why I would like to see another form of penalty, like the high school penalty, restrict the head coach and player to the bench for the remainder of the game.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGKBLUE
I agree that a forfeit should be avoided whereever possible. I would think that in a tournament where forfeits need to be approved by the UIC and tournament director, that no such forfeit would be approved for metal cleats or jewelery.

That is why I would like to see another form of penalty, like the high school penalty, restrict the head coach and player to the bench for the remainder of the game.
Even that is going to be heavy handed.

The response I got from my higher up

"You didnt notice it before the game?"

I'll bring it up at the board meeting I guess. I'm not going to press it if I'm going to get dumb answers like that. Obviously ASA was ill prepared for what everyone knew was going to happen... well except ASA.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Even that is going to be heavy handed.

The response I got from my higher up

"You didnt notice it before the game?"

I'll bring it up at the board meeting I guess. I'm not going to press it if I'm going to get dumb answers like that. Obviously ASA was ill prepared for what everyone knew was going to happen... well except ASA.

You shouldve ejected the players not only is it a rule with an effect .... but that wouldve got your tournement director over there in a hurry

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA