The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

I was looking at getting a new pair of knickers this year. I talked to a guy this weekend who was telling me all knickers are pretty much the same length (inseam). He was explaining how his son puts his pants on first (inside out) up to his knees. Then puts his socks on, then pulls his pants up. He said it look good. My question to you guys...How can I get my knickers to look perfect? Dont get me wrong, they look good, but I want them perfect. I look at the NLF refs, and their pants are besutiful. Do you guys have your pants tailored, or is there a trick to putting them on and bustling them up. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

It always looks nice to "cuff" them under at the knee. Never show the elastic. I buy my stuff from Honigs and they have different styles depending on your body type. For example, they have an "athletic cut" and have different "pocket" types to they don't "pooch out"...things like that.

I'd say having them fit correctly is key to having them look good.
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

I have my knickers tailored to be about three inches below my knee. Prior to a game I tuck two of the extra inches and tape around my upper calf with about an inch overlap over my socks.

A member of my crew has shorter legs so he rolls the knicker and sock together twice and then tapes around his leg.
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

The inside out thing works good but I put the socks on first, then the pants and roll them down so they're inside out below the knees. Then I fold the top of the socks over the elastic and pull the pants back up. Socks stay put and the pants stay put.

I'm thinking of the athletic cut Honigs knickers this year, though. I'm sick of buying the Cliff Keens big in the waist so they'll fit my thighs and ***.
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
The inside out thing works good but I put the socks on first, then the pants and roll them down so they're inside out below the knees. Then I fold the top of the socks over the elastic and pull the pants back up. Socks stay put and the pants stay put.
This is exactly how I do it, it looks very sharp imo. Sometimes it takes a coupel times to get it rigth but once I do it looks crisp.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
This is exactly how I do it, it looks very sharp imo. Sometimes it takes a coupel times to get it rigth but once I do it looks crisp.
I also use this method leaving about an inch of black showing below my “athletic cut “ Honigs knickers.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:
I also use this method leaving about an inch of black showing below my “athletic cut “ Honigs knickers.
REPLY: Who am I to argue with Jim, snake-eyes, and ABoselli. I use the same method. And they're right...it really presents a sharp look.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Wow!

This is sure interesting! I did not realize that there are so many ways to pull your pants up!

I put my socks on first, then the knickers. I pull the bottom of the knickers up so that the elastic bottoms of the pant legs are just under my knee caps. Then I pull the overlaps down about 2 or 3 inches over my socks. My calfs seem to be wide enough to hug the overlap and the pants stay put for the entire game, even with all the bending over, etc. at my umpire position.

Just one thing I noticed is that the Honig's knickers, especially the athletic cut and the elite version, seem to have the best made elastic bottoms on the knicker legs. They hug your legs comfortably and stay put.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

That's it. I'm getting the Honigs ath-a-letic cut.
Old Thu May 27, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I concur with Mike Simonds---
and not just because being an umpire !
also---
I tuck my shirt into a pair of
white shorts so that the stripes
do not show through the pant tops !!
that really looks horrible !!
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Amen with the stripes showing through the pants. I use black compression shorts.

It never ceases to amaze me the vets I see sporting the stripes showing through the pants look. Terrible.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Amen with the stripes showing through the pants. I use black compression shorts.

It never ceases to amaze me the vets I see sporting the stripes showing through the pants look. Terrible.
So the big controversy,

SWFLguy says to use WHITE compression shorts to hide the stripes.

AB says to use BLACK compression shorts to hide the stripes.

What do most of you use? I've heard the white ones make your knickers look "whiter" and if you get a tear, then it's white under white.

Others maintain that the black does a better job covering the stripes and how many times have you torn a pair of knickers in the last 100 years?

What's the consensus?

Since we're on undergarments here, those of you that have gone the UnderArmour route, what advantages do you get that are better than the McDavid-type Intermax stuff?
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 11:34am
Ref Ump Welsch

I use white McDavids. Looks nicer.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN
Quote:

So the big controversy,

SWFLguy says to use WHITE compression shorts to hide the stripes.

AB says to use BLACK compression shorts to hide the stripes.

What do most of you use? I've heard the white ones make your knickers look "whiter" and if you get a tear, then it's white under white.

Others maintain that the black does a better job covering the stripes and how many times have you torn a pair of knickers in the last 100 years?

What's the consensus?

Since we're on undergarments here, those of you that have gone the UnderArmour route, what advantages do you get that are better than the McDavid-type Intermax stuff?
Been using the white shorts for 20 years and it does make the white look whiter, I think. But maybe it is time to look at black shorts.

I tried the Nike Stay-Dri the other night for cycling where I had been using the MCDavid shirt. Really like the Nike stuff because it is lighter and seems to absorb the sweat better.

Also, if you use the McDavid shirt make sure whoever does the wash does not use fabric softener, it ruins the absorbent property.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

I typically wear white McDavid shorts in warmer weather. When it gets colder, I switch to black full length compression tights. Can't say that I have a preference as far as looks go. Either way, you've got to keep the stripes covered up. Looks tacky otherwise.