The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Willie and his Glasses (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/45138-willie-his-glasses.html)

Dakota Fri Jun 06, 2008 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Yeah. I know that. What I was talking about was where he said "the difference between Gaul and gaul." Think he might have meant the "difference between Gaul and gall?" That's why I hightlighted those words where I quoted him. Come on, keep up.

Oh, THAT'S why you had that in red! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-061.gif

But, if that is what he meant, one thing we know for sure... he KNEW the difference! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sp...smiley-008.gif

charliej47 Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:01am

:eek: Getting back to the OP about sunglasses and their use, I wear regular glasses with snap-on sunglasses. I am light sensitive to bright sun light and my doctor told me to wear sunglasses on bright days. When I am wearing them I can not get them off without removing my glasses and making a production out of it. <o>:p> </o>
I do remove my HSM when I am talking to a coach.:p
<o>:p> </o>
At one of the clinics I attended I was instructed (taught):rolleyes:, to always ask the coach to come to you and then start walking toward the coach so that you meet. At the meeting, ALWAYS try to turn so that the two of you are facing the field and to let the coach have his say. At that point you make your statement and then conclude the conference. If the coach start charging you and you have not asked for him to meet you, then you have different protocols to follow.:mad:
<o></o>
I have been “dinged”:o for wearing glasses/sunglasses, for wearing full gear at softball games, for calling ALL rule infractions and a lot more by partners, assignors and evaluators. It always comes down to the personal preferences of the person making the comments. I was “dinged” ten years ago when I started wearing the HSM and did not get high level games for 3 or 4 years.:cool:
<o></o>
I hustle; I have a neat clean uniform and present a professional appearance and do the best I can.

DNTXUM P Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:21pm

Pardon my lack of understanding as I am a little slow on some things relating to softball umpiring, but please clarify a few things for me:

HTML Code:

I do remove my HSM when I am talking to a coach.
What does HSM stand for? I assume something to do with sunglasses the way you used the term.

HTML Code:

I have been “dinged” ..., for wearing full gear at softball games
What do you mean you were dinged for wearing full gear at softball games? Did you wear chest protector, etc on the field as base umpire, or dinged for wearing a chest protector etc begind the plate, and that confuses me even more.

Could you please clarify for my addled mind?

Thanks

charliej47 Sun Jun 08, 2008 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
Pardon my lack of understanding as I am a little slow on some things relating to softball umpiring, but please clarify a few things for me:

HTML Code:

I do remove my HSM when I am talking to a coach.
What does HSM stand for? I assume something to do with sunglasses the way you used the term.

HTML Code:

I have been “dinged” ..., for wearing full gear at softball games
What do you mean you were dinged for wearing full gear at softball games? Did you wear chest protector, etc on the field as base umpire, or dinged for wearing a chest protector etc begind the plate, and that confuses me even more.

Thanks

HSM 'Hockey Style Mask'
When I am behind the plate I always wear a full set of gear. I have been told that at certain levels I am overdressing.

Dakota Sun Jun 08, 2008 01:41pm

Quote:

Pardon my lack of understanding ...

Pardon mine, too, but there is something I wonder about with your replies...

Why to you use the "HTML" tag around quotes instead of the "QUOTE" tag?

(Besides looking slightly different, it puts in an annoying (IMO) scroll bar for longer quotes...)

Like this:
HTML Code:

Thanks

Instead of this:
Quote:

Thanks

Just wondering... :confused:

charliej47 Sun Jun 08, 2008 01:55pm

Tom,

I usually create my replies in WORD and then just copy them. WORD can have some funny ways of handling text.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 08, 2008 03:25pm

[quote=charliej47]</O>
I do remove my HSM when I am talking to a coach.:p

Are you wearing a hat during this conversation?

DNTXUM P Sun Jun 08, 2008 04:42pm

Code:

Pardon mine, too, but there is something I wonder about with your replies...

Why to you use the "HTML" tag around quotes instead of the "QUOTE" tag?

(Besides looking slightly different, it puts in an annoying (IMO) scroll bar for longer quotes...)

Like this:

Because I didn't know there was something else. Does this look better? I will remember to use the quote tag in the future. Didn't know there was anything else. Sorry to be annoying, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Now could you please let me know what a "HSM" is?

Dakota Sun Jun 08, 2008 06:26pm

Quote:

Now could you please let me know what a "HSM" is?

"Hockey-style mask" also called HSH for hockey style helmet.

http://www.honigs.com/img_item_thumb/WVHFXthum.jpg

Quote:

Does this look better? I will remember to use the quote tag in the future. Didn't know there was anything else. Sorry to be annoying, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Well, it's not THAT annoying, just a little.

No better... it is the same except you are using the "CODE" tag instead of "HTML" - pretty much the same result.

Hint: in the lower right of each message is a button that says "quote" if you want to quote that message in your reply. Or you can manually type {quote} and {/quote} around the text you copy/paste (replacing the "{" "}" brackets with the "[" "]") and it will display it in the quote box, but without including the member name of the person quoted.

The tags are called vB tags and are explained here.

DNTXUM P Sun Jun 08, 2008 09:28pm

Thanks

Skahtboi Sun Jun 08, 2008 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliej47
When I am behind the plate I always wear a full set of gear. I have been told that at certain levels I am overdressing.

I would still like to hear more detail on this comment? Are you telling me that there are some UIC's out there who would prefer that you not wear protective gear? If so, are they willing to assume the liability for any medical bills I may incur??

Skahtboi Sun Jun 08, 2008 09:39pm

Quote:

Pardon my lack of understanding as I am a little slow on some things relating to softball umpiring...

:confused:

DNTXUM P Sun Jun 08, 2008 09:52pm

Quote:

:confused:

Scott, are you just trying to show off that you know how to do quotes correctly and I don't

Hi, Sander

Larry

wadeintothem Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:55am

Quote:

I would still like to hear more detail on this comment? Are you telling me that there are some UIC's out there who would prefer that you not wear protective gear? If so, are they willing to assume the liability for any medical bills I may incur??

Thats a big leap.

You and Irish are leaping tall buildings in single bounds tonight.

LMan Mon Jun 09, 2008 09:38am

I'm still pondering wearing a HSM for softball.....hm.

I always wear sunglasses on sunny days, and the only comment I received one time was that the catcher said they made me look like her coach's parole officer.

Otherwise, perhaps if you join an assoc hurting for umpires, you can wear 'glasses all you want, secure in the knowlege that they can't afford to lose you ;)