The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Willie and his Glasses (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/45138-willie-his-glasses.html)

wadeintothem Thu Jun 05, 2008 06:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan
i for one will disagree ... keeping on one's sunglasses (or not) really has nothing to do with respect - its just not taking sunglasses off. some things are so overanalyzed ...

having said that - I DO take my shades off when speaking to a coach because as an official thats what I was taught to do. but if I walk up to somone on the street I'm not going to ...

:cool:

This is why I take my sunny's off... I'm told too (when I remember, and I DO really try to remember.)

Its not because of some revelation regarding sunglasses. And its not because someone who does or doesnt is an idiot.

BTW, It was not me calling people an idiot. I was not the one being a jerk.

But everytime, I get the blame!!!

I been framed. Jeez

:D

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 05, 2008 07:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
If your assignor says, "no sunglasses," then no sunglasses. It's stupid, but hey, they hold all the cards.

I will disagree with this one. First things first. The assignor is NOT the one out on the field in front of God and the world trying to be perfect. If you cannot see the play, the odds of perfections are greatly diminished. BTW, when the umpire on the field doesn't get it right, it's the umpire who is replaced, not the assignor. Also, I don't believe the assignor has the authority to circumvent the guidelines of sanctioning body sponsoring the contest. If I had stopped umpiring when I was told by quite a few people that I would go no where in softball with a beard, I probably would have stopped 15 years ago.

I have little use for assignors who abuse their position and ability to negatively affect someone else's life for the purpose of promoting their own agenda or personal beliefs.

NCASAUmp Thu Jun 05, 2008 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I will disagree with this one. First things first. The assignor is NOT the one out on the field in front of God and the world trying to be perfect. If you cannot see the play, the odds of perfections are greatly diminished. BTW, when the umpire on the field doesn't get it right, it's the umpire who is replaced, not the assignor. Also, I don't believe the assignor has the authority to circumvent the guidelines of sanctioning body sponsoring the contest. If I had stopped umpiring when I was told by quite a few people that I would go no where in softball with a beard, I probably would have stopped 15 years ago.

I have little use for assignors who abuse their position and ability to negatively affect someone else's life for the purpose of promoting their own agenda or personal beliefs.

So you're saying that you'd risk getting the number of games reduced for years simply because of a disagreement in style?

I'd rather hash it out with my assignor than take that risk. Fortunately, my assignor is a very good guy to work for, and he wouldn't put something like that on us. However, I still have to remember who holds all the cards, and I don't bite the hand that feeds.

Then again, I don't do everything my boss tells me to at work, either... :rolleyes:

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
So you're saying that you'd risk getting the number of games reduced for years simply because of a disagreement in style?

It has nothing to do with style. It has to do with what I can within the guidelines of the sanctioning body to properly do the job for which I am being paid. If that means pissing off the assignor, so be it. I'm not in this for the money.
Quote:


I'd rather hash it out with my assignor than take that risk. Fortunately, my assignor is a very good guy to work for, and he wouldn't put something like that on us. However, I still have to remember who holds all the cards, and I don't bite the hand that feeds.
I'm not looking to start a pissing contest with the assignor, but I am not going to do a subpar job and look incompetent because some desk jockey has an old-school hard on for something with which really isn't any of their concern. And with an assignor like that, I don't need to sacrifice my integrity for his wallet.

wadeintothem Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:30pm

so.. um..

Glasses or no glasses irish? :cool:

Oh wait, i need to take those off my smiley dude ;)

Oh wait, i'm only talking to another umpire, so I dont need to show respect... :cool:

WAIT!! He's and ASA Elite UIC top dog.. do I show them respect or not???? :confused:


Crap, if it was some daddy mope pretending to be able to coach a 12U rec team I would know if I should take them off or not...

kcg NC2Ablu Fri Jun 06, 2008 05:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
so.. um..

Glasses or no glasses irish? :cool:

Oh wait, i need to take those off my smiley dude ;)

Oh wait, i'm only talking to another umpire, so I dont need to show respect... :cool:

WAIT!! He's and ASA Elite UIC top dog.. do I show them respect or not???? :confused:


Crap, if it was some daddy mope pretending to be able to coach a 12U rec team I would know if I should take them off or not...

well your oh so funny but when.. and when you get gigged for it on an evaluation ... we will see who is laughing then... of course you wont have the gaul to admit that you did get gigged on it so we will probably never know. As for your rediculous antics Im over the fact that because you cant understand it you attack it.... sounds like a caged animal to me....

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 06, 2008 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
well your oh so funny but when.. and when you get gigged for it on an evaluation ... we will see who is laughing then... of course you wont have the gaul to admit that you did get gigged on it so we will probably never know. As for your rediculous antics Im over the fact that because you cant understand it you attack it.... sounds like a caged animal to me....

If that happened, the evaluator should be the target of any questions, not the umpire. Sunglasses are permitted, so who does the evaluator think s/he is to say otherwise? There was a time where umpires who wore full battle armor for a "little girls game" was mocked and considered no worthy of a good evaluation. And don't laugh, I have seen it and it held the umpire back for years.

bkbjones Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
... of course you wont have the gaul to admit that you did get gigged on it so we will probably never know. As for your rediculous antics Im over the fact that because you cant understand it you attack it.... sounds like a caged animal to me....

So, what does the nation of France have to do with anything? If someone does have the gaul, might they also have the prussian, hispanic or even russian? You have an award winning post. Enjoy!

kcg NC2Ablu Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones
So, what does the nation of France have to do with anything? If someone does have the gaul, might they also have the prussian, hispanic or even russian? You have an award winning post. Enjoy!

sorry if I didnt spell it correctly for you how about I edit it to say balls just for you ... by the way dont mess up in your typing because Ill be there when you do

Skahtboi Fri Jun 06, 2008 01:07pm

Everytime I read this thread I think of this, so since it has morphed into meaninglessness, I thought I would contribute.

Quote:

I know a cat named Way-Out Willie,
Got a cool little chick named Rocking Millie.
He can walk and stroll and Susie Q
And do that crazy hand jive, too.

Mama, mama, look at Uncle Joe
Doing the hand jive with sister Flo.
Grandma gave baby sister a dime;
Said, "Do that hand jive one more time."
By the way, gaul=gall (as in gallstones), and rediculous=ridiculous. Just trying to be helpful. And while I am at it, everyone, then and than are not interchangeable.

Then: at that time: soon after that : next in order of time "I searched the room, then I saw her standing there by the record machine."


Than: a function word used in comparison. "Wow, this is heavier than that."

Not picking on anyone, just placing a few observations out there in an attempt to educate.

Dakota Fri Jun 06, 2008 01:55pm

continuing that thought...

your is not the same as you're.
's does not mean plural (usually)
mute does not mean moot
there is not the same as they're or their

OTOH, "fixing" DOES mean "getting ready" and "went" IS the past tense of "to say".

ain't it grand to be edgeumicated?

bkbjones Fri Jun 06, 2008 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
sorry if I didnt spell it correctly for you how about I edit it to say balls just for you ... by the way dont mess up in your typing because Ill be there when you do

I may very well mess up my typing (although not very likely). But a wrong spelling because I don't know better...won't happen. The difference between Gaul and gall is much like the difference between french fries and calf fries.

Edited to make the last one gall...because like it says, I am an ucking fidiot...and messed up my typing

Skahtboi Fri Jun 06, 2008 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones
The difference between Gaul and gaul is much like the difference between french fries and calf fries.

Huh???????????????????? :confused:

Dakota Fri Jun 06, 2008 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Huh???????????????????? :confused:

calf fries... ref: Rocky Mountain Oysters, Prairie Oysters, Mountain Tendergroins, Cowboy Caviar, Swinging Beef ...

Skahtboi Fri Jun 06, 2008 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
calf fries... ref: Rocky Mountain Oysters, Prairie Oysters, Mountain Tendergroins, Cowboy Caviar, Swinging Beef ...


Yeah. I know that. What I was talking about was where he said "the difference between Gaul and gaul." Think he might have meant the "difference between Gaul and gall?" That's why I hightlighted those words where I quoted him. Come on, keep up.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1