The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Willie and his Glasses (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/45138-willie-his-glasses.html)

kcg NC2Ablu Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:51am

Willie and his Glasses
 
:cool: Anyone see willie not take of his sunglasses when a coach was talking/yelling in the wcws? It was almost as if willie was thinking " If Coach isnt I'm not" any thoughts?

DaveASA/FED Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:57am

Didn't see it, don't know Willie but IMO anytime you are discussing something with a coach you should remove sunglasses, just common courtsey to look someone in the eyes when you are talking to them. If they don't return the courtesy that is not your problem you were the "bigger" man in the situation. Again JMO, and I am not implying anything about the umpire with my statements.

Rachel Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:40pm

Perhaps Willie has prescription sunglasses and if he takes them off he cannot see. :D

kcg NC2Ablu Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Didn't see it, don't know Willie but IMO anytime you are discussing something with a coach you should remove sunglasses, just common courtsey to look someone in the eyes when you are talking to them. If they don't return the courtesy that is not your problem you were the "bigger" man in the situation. Again JMO, and I am not implying anything about the umpire with my statements.

Willie is the guy who worked the scissors

kcg NC2Ablu Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel
Perhaps Willie has prescription sunglasses and if he takes them off he cannot see. :D

You know thats actually what I thought about last night when ASU's Coach was talking to him about a girl who wille rung up (which was a good call)

socalumps Wed Jun 04, 2008 01:26pm

Later in same game he appeared to be wearing regular prescription glasses.

bbsbvb83 Wed Jun 04, 2008 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalumps
Later in same game he appeared to be wearing regular prescription glasses.

They sound like Transition lenses to me.
The only prescription glasses I own are Transitions, and at the last clinic I attended, the clinician said that these types of glasses would not be allowed at the state finals. It's always something new with the IHSA.

socalumps Wed Jun 04, 2008 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbsbvb83
They sound like Transition lenses to me.
The only prescription glasses I own are Transitions, and at the last clinic I attended, the clinician said that these types of glasses would not be allowed at the state finals. It's always something new with the IHSA.

Sunglasses were black framed oakley wraparounds....other glasses were silver framed narrow lens...doubt they were transition...except that maybe they transitioned from carry case to face.:)

DNTXUM P Wed Jun 04, 2008 05:17pm

HTML Code:

Anyone see willie not take of his sunglasses when a coach was talking/yelling in the wcws? It was almost as if willie was thinking " If Coach isnt I'm not" any thoughts?
Maybe with everything going on in the world series and all of the concentration involved to work that level of ball with the pressure, he forgot. It happens to me sometimes even though I try to remember to remove them, but sometimes I forget when in the heat of the moment and I don't come close to work the level of ball that Willie works.

Skahtboi Wed Jun 04, 2008 07:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
[HTML]....and I don't come close to work the level of ball that Willie works.

Uh-huh. :cool:

Skahtboi Wed Jun 04, 2008 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbsbvb83
They sound like Transition lenses to me.
The only prescription glasses I own are Transitions, and at the last clinic I attended, the clinician said that these types of glasses would not be allowed at the state finals. It's always something new with the IHSA.

How can they "ban" glasses? If they ban any style of prescription glasses, they may as well ban them all. (Not to mention the non-prescription as well.)

What was their reasoning???

wadeintothem Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:29am

I ALWAYS, and I do mean ALWAYS take my sunglasses off when talking to a coach.

Well unless I forget I have them on.

Which is most times, I forget.. and then go "Doh! I forgot!".. ah well.. I'm sure nothing about the convo changed... but usually I can remember for the plate meeting. Usually anyway.

After that well all bets are off.

orangeump Thu Jun 05, 2008 02:47am

I dont really know where this started or why taking your glasses off is a big deal at all really.

It's not like you are shaking someone's hand while sitting down and with a glove on.

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jun 05, 2008 05:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
How can they "ban" glasses? If they ban any style of prescription glasses, they may as well ban them all. (Not to mention the non-prescription as well.)

What was their reasoning???

several college assignors i know will not allow you to wear sunglasses on the dish and if you have transistions they are fine for the bases but get a pair of regular lenses for the plate...
Quote:

Originally Posted by orangeump
I dont really know where this started or why taking your glasses off is a big deal at all really.

It's not like you are shaking someone's hand while sitting down and with a glove on.

Its a respect thing. The thinking behind it is that sociologically our society equates respect with eye contact and sunglasses limit the ability for that eye contact. The coach's dont respect us enough to remove theirs but we should have the sense to take ours off because we should display the respect that we are asking from the coaches

RKBUmp Thu Jun 05, 2008 07:14am

So, they would rather you be squinting, looking directly into the sun on a 110 degree day in Phoenix, rather than wear a good pair of sunglasses and actually be able to see?

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jun 05, 2008 07:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp
So, they would rather you be squinting, looking directly into the sun on a 110 degree day in Phoenix, rather than wear a good pair of sunglasses and actually be able to see?

I didnt say I agree but the assignor for the ACC SEC Big 12 and a few other conferences HATES them behind the plate.... gues its a good thing she doesnt have the PAC-10 for those people in ARIZ.

wadeintothem Thu Jun 05, 2008 07:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangeump
I dont really know where this started or why taking your glasses off is a big deal at all really.

It's not like you are shaking someone's hand while sitting down and with a glove on.

Its one of those things that is invented to give those people who invent things purpose; without such, they would have no reason to exist.

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jun 05, 2008 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Its one of those things that is invented to give those people who invent things purpose; without such, they would have no reason to exist.

No there are good sociological reasons for it.... go back and read one of the previous posts on here and it is explained....

wadeintothem Thu Jun 05, 2008 08:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
No there are good sociological reasons for it.... go back and read one of the previous posts on here and it is explained....

I read every post before posting.. and went back just now.

I dont see good sociological reasons for it.

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jun 05, 2008 08:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
Its a respect thing. The thinking behind it is that sociologically our society equates respect with eye contact and sunglasses limit the ability for that eye contact. The coach's dont respect us enough to remove theirs but we should have the sense to take ours off because we should display the respect that we are asking from the coaches

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I read every post before posting.. and went back just now.

I dont see good sociological reasons for it.

If we were somewhere where eye contact wasnt so part of our culture then okay but it is a HUGE part of our culture. No eyecontact means sneaking or lying in our culture so thats a SOCIOLOGICAL reason and a good one

Skahtboi Thu Jun 05, 2008 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
several college assignors i know will not allow you to wear sunglasses on the dish and if you have transistions they are fine for the bases but get a pair of regular lenses for the plate...

Guess I am lucky that I don't know any of those.

wadeintothem Thu Jun 05, 2008 08:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
If we were somewhere where eye contact wasnt so part of our culture then okay but it is a HUGE part of our culture. No eyecontact means sneaking or lying in our culture so thats a SOCIOLOGICAL reason and a good one

We arent making eye contact, we are squinting and looking down and away as its 107F, in between trying to see through the coaches sunglasses which are reflecting more sunlight into our eyes.

DaveASA/FED Thu Jun 05, 2008 08:44am

I think you two might be missing each other on this one. I think Wade is saying there is NO reason to "ban" an umpire from wearing sunglasses, KC is saying there is a good soci..... reason for taking the glasses off when talking to someone. I agree with both of you.... 1) you should be able to wear glasses, any glasses (within reason, look professional not flashy, or mirrored to shine light at someone, no rhinestones down the sides like my daughters...etc.) and 2) you should take them off and look someone in the eye if you are discussing something with them.

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jun 05, 2008 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
We arent making eye contact, we are squinting and looking down and away as its 107F, in between trying to see through the coaches sunglasses which are reflecting more sunlight into our eyes.

So because the coach is an idoit your going to be one too... hmmm if the coach decides to dress up in a clown uniform are you going to wear a rainbow wig way to big shoes and a big red ruber nose to your next game... or do you already do that?

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jun 05, 2008 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
I think you two might be missing each other on this one. I think Wade is saying there is NO reason to "ban" an umpire from wearing sunglasses, KC is saying there is a good soci..... reason for taking the glasses off when talking to someone. I agree with both of you.... 1) you should be able to wear glasses, any glasses (within reason, look professional not flashy, or mirrored to shine light at someone, no rhinestones down the sides like my daughters...etc.) and 2) you should take them off and look someone in the eye if you are discussing something with them.

Thats exactly what I am saying ... maybe I didnt understand wade .. if he means ban glasses all together then ok I see that but if he means not taking them off when talking to a coach.... thats dumb p.s. the NCAA does not have a ban on wearing sunglasses that was speciffic to an assignor and only while on the plate

wadeintothem Thu Jun 05, 2008 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
So because the coach is an idoit your going to be one too... hmmm if the coach decides to dress up in a clown uniform are you going to wear a rainbow wig way to big shoes and a big red ruber nose to your next game... or do you already do that?

I just want to make sure we are clear, before we go further.

ALL people who talk to people while wearing sunglasses are idiots?

That is your opinion, correct?

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jun 05, 2008 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I just want to make sure we are clear, before we go further.

ALL people who talk to people while wearing sunglasses are idiots?

That is your opinion, correct?

Thats a slippery slope ... Im talking about a coach talking/yelling at an umpire with sunglasses on is disrespectfull which thus makes him an idiot so if you are going to do the same then the equation would fit the bill.... don't be rediculous and draw conclusions or try to back me into a corner. I have said what I mean and pretty clearly I cant help if you want to attack me because you are wrong

3afan Thu Jun 05, 2008 09:48am

i for one will disagree ... keeping on one's sunglasses (or not) really has nothing to do with respect - its just not taking sunglasses off. some things are so overanalyzed ...

having said that - I DO take my shades off when speaking to a coach because as an official thats what I was taught to do. but if I walk up to somone on the street I'm not going to ...

:cool:

wadeintothem Thu Jun 05, 2008 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
Thats a slippery slope ... Im talking about a coach talking/yelling at an umpire with sunglasses on is disrespectfull which thus makes him an idiot so if you are going to do the same then the equation would fit the bill.... don't be rediculous and draw conclusions or try to back me into a corner. I have said what I mean and pretty clearly I cant help if you want to attack me because you are wrong

It is indeed a slippery slope. I am suprised a man of your conviction on this subject did not want to fall down it.

Since you are truely not as dedicated to this philisophy as you once presented yourself to be...

I'll let you be. That is not very much conviction at all. In fact, you are very weak in your conviction about sunglasses and speaking to other people while wearing same.

Your rule is actually "when a coach yells at me, even when he has sunglasses on, I hurry up and take my sunglasses off so I dont appear to be an idiot."

I'm thinking "golf clap" on that one.

argodad Thu Jun 05, 2008 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
It is indeed a slippery slope. I am suprised a man of your conviction on this subject did not want to fall down it.

Since you are truely not as dedicated to this philisophy as you once presented yourself to be...

I'll let you be. That is not very much conviction at all. In fact, you are very weak in your conviction about sunglasses and speaking to other people while wearing same.

Your rule is actually "when a coach yells at me, even when he has sunglasses on, I hurry up and take my sunglasses off so I dont appear to be an idiot."

I'm thinking "golf clap" on that one.

I know I should keep my nose out of this little p***ing contest, but I think you just slid back into your Forum Jerk mode, Wade.:(

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
It is indeed a slippery slope. I am suprised a man of your conviction on this subject did not want to fall down it.

Since you are truely not as dedicated to this philisophy as you once presented yourself to be...

I'll let you be. That is not very much conviction at all. In fact, you are very weak in your conviction about sunglasses and speaking to other people while wearing same.

Your rule is actually "when a coach yells at me, even when he has sunglasses on, I hurry up and take my sunglasses off so I dont appear to be an idiot."

I'm thinking "golf clap" on that one.

Actually when dealing with a coach I like to appear calm and collected when a coach comes out on me I make them walk accrossed the field to me. I also Take my sunglasses off upon the arrival of the coach in a calm collected mannor. Truely that is my rule ... not the mindless drivel that you spit out of your ever-running mind and somehow it eventually arrives on the screen. Im thinking...... "boos" for you or maybe just an "awkward silence" because you cant seem to wrap your minimally capable mind around the fact that not taking your sunglasses off when talking to a coach is seen as disrespectful and as te golden rule from kindergarden, all though Im not sure you got passed that point, states," do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Skahtboi Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad
I know I should keep my nose out of this little p***ing contest, but I think you just slid back into your Forum Jerk mode, Wade.:(

"Just slid back???" What are you talking about??? Isn't that normal "Wade Mode?" :D

CecilOne Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:17am

How about civility as expected on this forum and sticking to the subject without personal attacks? :( :o


Through the last several posts, I've been thinking that who has to be respectful boils down to is who hires who and that the neutral, unemotional person has the presence of mind to be courteous.

NCASAUmp Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:34am

I'm jumping in on this one late, and I've more or less skimmed what everyone's said.

If your assignor says, "no sunglasses," then no sunglasses. It's stupid, but hey, they hold all the cards. Our org says PU in ASA SP has ALL calls at 3rd and home. I think it's stupid, but that's their call. Let's not debate that one, though. :)

If you have a discussion with a coach, I agree that glasses should come off, even if it's 115 degrees under the bright afternoon sun. I personally like to stand side-by-side with a coach when I'm talking with him/her, so I think that it's perfectly reasonable to say, "hey, coach, let's turn this way so we're not facing the sun." You're showing the coach that you're accommodating and not adversarial. At that point, now you've got the coach where you want him. If he wants to turn towards you and get in a shouting match, he'll have to do so with the sun in HIS eyes, not yours. This may deter him from doing so, but if he does, he may not last long before giving up. How long does a coach really want to argue when he's being blinded?

If I discuss things with a coach, I take my sunglasses off, even if I have the clear lenses in. :cool:

And let's tone it down, guys. We're starting to act like the coaches we're discussing. :eek:

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I'm jumping in on this one late, and I've more or less skimmed what everyone's said.

If your assignor says, "no sunglasses," then no sunglasses. It's stupid, but hey, they hold all the cards. Our org says PU in ASA SP has ALL calls at 3rd and home. I think it's stupid, but that's their call. Let's not debate that one, though. :)

If you have a discussion with a coach, I agree that glasses should come off, even if it's 115 degrees under the bright afternoon sun. I personally like to stand side-by-side with a coach when I'm talking with him/her, so I think that it's perfectly reasonable to say, "hey, coach, let's turn this way so we're not facing the sun." You're showing the coach that you're accommodating and not adversarial. At that point, now you've got the coach where you want him. If he wants to turn towards you and get in a shouting match, he'll have to do so with the sun in HIS eyes, not yours. This may deter him from doing so, but if he does, he may not last long before giving up. How long does a coach really want to argue when he's being blinded?

If I discuss things with a coach, I take my sunglasses off, even if I have the clear lenses in. :cool:

And let's tone it down, guys. We're starting to act like the coaches we're discussing. :eek:

I can do that... time for lunch anyhow

Dakota Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:00am

Wade discusses a call with the coach
 
Here is a picture of wade, showing himself to be open and approachable in a discussion of rule interpretation with a coach....

http://bp3.blogger.com/_jBs6ozWyKgc/...te+trooper.bmp

MichaelVA2000 Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
Here is a picture of wade, showing himself to be open and approachable in a discussion of rule interpretation with a coach....

http://bp3.blogger.com/_jBs6ozWyKgc/...te+trooper.bmp

Looks approachable. He's not pointing weapons at anyone.:D

ntxblue Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
Actually when dealing with a coach I like to appear calm and collected when a coach comes out on me I make them walk accrossed the field to me.


What kind of respect is given the coach by holding your ground and making him come to you? Seems like you are are talking out of both sides . . .

That being said . . . sunglasses should come off. . . and I let the coach come to my position.

ntxblue Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
Looks approachable. He's not pointing weapons at anyone.:D

But we can't see the hands . . .

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jun 05, 2008 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntxblue
But we can't see the hands . . .

thats because they're on the gun:D

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 05, 2008 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbsbvb83
They sound like Transition lenses to me.
The only prescription glasses I own are Transitions, and at the last clinic I attended, the clinician said that these types of glasses would not be allowed at the state finals. It's always something new with the IHSA.

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Dakota Thu Jun 05, 2008 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Aw, c'mon, Mike... I don't buy that for a second. You do, after all, umpire a fair amount of AA games! :D

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 05, 2008 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
Aw, c'mon, Mike... I don't buy that for a second. You do, after all, umpire a fair amount of AA games! :D

But those folks are not the voices of authority for the sanctioning body.

CecilOne Thu Jun 05, 2008 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
But those folks are not the voices of authority for the sanctioning body.

Shhh, don't tell them! :D

NCASAUmp Thu Jun 05, 2008 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
But those folks are not the voices of authority for the sanctioning body.

They sure as hell think they are!

wadeintothem Thu Jun 05, 2008 06:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan
i for one will disagree ... keeping on one's sunglasses (or not) really has nothing to do with respect - its just not taking sunglasses off. some things are so overanalyzed ...

having said that - I DO take my shades off when speaking to a coach because as an official thats what I was taught to do. but if I walk up to somone on the street I'm not going to ...

:cool:

This is why I take my sunny's off... I'm told too (when I remember, and I DO really try to remember.)

Its not because of some revelation regarding sunglasses. And its not because someone who does or doesnt is an idiot.

BTW, It was not me calling people an idiot. I was not the one being a jerk.

But everytime, I get the blame!!!

I been framed. Jeez

:D

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 05, 2008 07:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
If your assignor says, "no sunglasses," then no sunglasses. It's stupid, but hey, they hold all the cards.

I will disagree with this one. First things first. The assignor is NOT the one out on the field in front of God and the world trying to be perfect. If you cannot see the play, the odds of perfections are greatly diminished. BTW, when the umpire on the field doesn't get it right, it's the umpire who is replaced, not the assignor. Also, I don't believe the assignor has the authority to circumvent the guidelines of sanctioning body sponsoring the contest. If I had stopped umpiring when I was told by quite a few people that I would go no where in softball with a beard, I probably would have stopped 15 years ago.

I have little use for assignors who abuse their position and ability to negatively affect someone else's life for the purpose of promoting their own agenda or personal beliefs.

NCASAUmp Thu Jun 05, 2008 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I will disagree with this one. First things first. The assignor is NOT the one out on the field in front of God and the world trying to be perfect. If you cannot see the play, the odds of perfections are greatly diminished. BTW, when the umpire on the field doesn't get it right, it's the umpire who is replaced, not the assignor. Also, I don't believe the assignor has the authority to circumvent the guidelines of sanctioning body sponsoring the contest. If I had stopped umpiring when I was told by quite a few people that I would go no where in softball with a beard, I probably would have stopped 15 years ago.

I have little use for assignors who abuse their position and ability to negatively affect someone else's life for the purpose of promoting their own agenda or personal beliefs.

So you're saying that you'd risk getting the number of games reduced for years simply because of a disagreement in style?

I'd rather hash it out with my assignor than take that risk. Fortunately, my assignor is a very good guy to work for, and he wouldn't put something like that on us. However, I still have to remember who holds all the cards, and I don't bite the hand that feeds.

Then again, I don't do everything my boss tells me to at work, either... :rolleyes:

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
So you're saying that you'd risk getting the number of games reduced for years simply because of a disagreement in style?

It has nothing to do with style. It has to do with what I can within the guidelines of the sanctioning body to properly do the job for which I am being paid. If that means pissing off the assignor, so be it. I'm not in this for the money.
Quote:


I'd rather hash it out with my assignor than take that risk. Fortunately, my assignor is a very good guy to work for, and he wouldn't put something like that on us. However, I still have to remember who holds all the cards, and I don't bite the hand that feeds.
I'm not looking to start a pissing contest with the assignor, but I am not going to do a subpar job and look incompetent because some desk jockey has an old-school hard on for something with which really isn't any of their concern. And with an assignor like that, I don't need to sacrifice my integrity for his wallet.

wadeintothem Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:30pm

so.. um..

Glasses or no glasses irish? :cool:

Oh wait, i need to take those off my smiley dude ;)

Oh wait, i'm only talking to another umpire, so I dont need to show respect... :cool:

WAIT!! He's and ASA Elite UIC top dog.. do I show them respect or not???? :confused:


Crap, if it was some daddy mope pretending to be able to coach a 12U rec team I would know if I should take them off or not...

kcg NC2Ablu Fri Jun 06, 2008 05:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
so.. um..

Glasses or no glasses irish? :cool:

Oh wait, i need to take those off my smiley dude ;)

Oh wait, i'm only talking to another umpire, so I dont need to show respect... :cool:

WAIT!! He's and ASA Elite UIC top dog.. do I show them respect or not???? :confused:


Crap, if it was some daddy mope pretending to be able to coach a 12U rec team I would know if I should take them off or not...

well your oh so funny but when.. and when you get gigged for it on an evaluation ... we will see who is laughing then... of course you wont have the gaul to admit that you did get gigged on it so we will probably never know. As for your rediculous antics Im over the fact that because you cant understand it you attack it.... sounds like a caged animal to me....

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 06, 2008 07:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
well your oh so funny but when.. and when you get gigged for it on an evaluation ... we will see who is laughing then... of course you wont have the gaul to admit that you did get gigged on it so we will probably never know. As for your rediculous antics Im over the fact that because you cant understand it you attack it.... sounds like a caged animal to me....

If that happened, the evaluator should be the target of any questions, not the umpire. Sunglasses are permitted, so who does the evaluator think s/he is to say otherwise? There was a time where umpires who wore full battle armor for a "little girls game" was mocked and considered no worthy of a good evaluation. And don't laugh, I have seen it and it held the umpire back for years.

bkbjones Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
... of course you wont have the gaul to admit that you did get gigged on it so we will probably never know. As for your rediculous antics Im over the fact that because you cant understand it you attack it.... sounds like a caged animal to me....

So, what does the nation of France have to do with anything? If someone does have the gaul, might they also have the prussian, hispanic or even russian? You have an award winning post. Enjoy!

kcg NC2Ablu Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones
So, what does the nation of France have to do with anything? If someone does have the gaul, might they also have the prussian, hispanic or even russian? You have an award winning post. Enjoy!

sorry if I didnt spell it correctly for you how about I edit it to say balls just for you ... by the way dont mess up in your typing because Ill be there when you do

Skahtboi Fri Jun 06, 2008 01:07pm

Everytime I read this thread I think of this, so since it has morphed into meaninglessness, I thought I would contribute.

Quote:

I know a cat named Way-Out Willie,
Got a cool little chick named Rocking Millie.
He can walk and stroll and Susie Q
And do that crazy hand jive, too.

Mama, mama, look at Uncle Joe
Doing the hand jive with sister Flo.
Grandma gave baby sister a dime;
Said, "Do that hand jive one more time."
By the way, gaul=gall (as in gallstones), and rediculous=ridiculous. Just trying to be helpful. And while I am at it, everyone, then and than are not interchangeable.

Then: at that time: soon after that : next in order of time "I searched the room, then I saw her standing there by the record machine."


Than: a function word used in comparison. "Wow, this is heavier than that."

Not picking on anyone, just placing a few observations out there in an attempt to educate.

Dakota Fri Jun 06, 2008 01:55pm

continuing that thought...

your is not the same as you're.
's does not mean plural (usually)
mute does not mean moot
there is not the same as they're or their

OTOH, "fixing" DOES mean "getting ready" and "went" IS the past tense of "to say".

ain't it grand to be edgeumicated?

bkbjones Fri Jun 06, 2008 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
sorry if I didnt spell it correctly for you how about I edit it to say balls just for you ... by the way dont mess up in your typing because Ill be there when you do

I may very well mess up my typing (although not very likely). But a wrong spelling because I don't know better...won't happen. The difference between Gaul and gall is much like the difference between french fries and calf fries.

Edited to make the last one gall...because like it says, I am an ucking fidiot...and messed up my typing

Skahtboi Fri Jun 06, 2008 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones
The difference between Gaul and gaul is much like the difference between french fries and calf fries.

Huh???????????????????? :confused:

Dakota Fri Jun 06, 2008 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Huh???????????????????? :confused:

calf fries... ref: Rocky Mountain Oysters, Prairie Oysters, Mountain Tendergroins, Cowboy Caviar, Swinging Beef ...

Skahtboi Fri Jun 06, 2008 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
calf fries... ref: Rocky Mountain Oysters, Prairie Oysters, Mountain Tendergroins, Cowboy Caviar, Swinging Beef ...


Yeah. I know that. What I was talking about was where he said "the difference between Gaul and gaul." Think he might have meant the "difference between Gaul and gall?" That's why I hightlighted those words where I quoted him. Come on, keep up.

Dakota Fri Jun 06, 2008 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Yeah. I know that. What I was talking about was where he said "the difference between Gaul and gaul." Think he might have meant the "difference between Gaul and gall?" That's why I hightlighted those words where I quoted him. Come on, keep up.

Oh, THAT'S why you had that in red! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-061.gif

But, if that is what he meant, one thing we know for sure... he KNEW the difference! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sp...smiley-008.gif

charliej47 Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:01am

:eek: Getting back to the OP about sunglasses and their use, I wear regular glasses with snap-on sunglasses. I am light sensitive to bright sun light and my doctor told me to wear sunglasses on bright days. When I am wearing them I can not get them off without removing my glasses and making a production out of it. <o>:p> </o>
I do remove my HSM when I am talking to a coach.:p
<o>:p> </o>
At one of the clinics I attended I was instructed (taught):rolleyes:, to always ask the coach to come to you and then start walking toward the coach so that you meet. At the meeting, ALWAYS try to turn so that the two of you are facing the field and to let the coach have his say. At that point you make your statement and then conclude the conference. If the coach start charging you and you have not asked for him to meet you, then you have different protocols to follow.:mad:
<o></o>
I have been “dinged”:o for wearing glasses/sunglasses, for wearing full gear at softball games, for calling ALL rule infractions and a lot more by partners, assignors and evaluators. It always comes down to the personal preferences of the person making the comments. I was “dinged” ten years ago when I started wearing the HSM and did not get high level games for 3 or 4 years.:cool:
<o></o>
I hustle; I have a neat clean uniform and present a professional appearance and do the best I can.

DNTXUM P Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:21pm

Pardon my lack of understanding as I am a little slow on some things relating to softball umpiring, but please clarify a few things for me:

HTML Code:

I do remove my HSM when I am talking to a coach.
What does HSM stand for? I assume something to do with sunglasses the way you used the term.

HTML Code:

I have been “dinged” ..., for wearing full gear at softball games
What do you mean you were dinged for wearing full gear at softball games? Did you wear chest protector, etc on the field as base umpire, or dinged for wearing a chest protector etc begind the plate, and that confuses me even more.

Could you please clarify for my addled mind?

Thanks

charliej47 Sun Jun 08, 2008 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
Pardon my lack of understanding as I am a little slow on some things relating to softball umpiring, but please clarify a few things for me:

HTML Code:

I do remove my HSM when I am talking to a coach.
What does HSM stand for? I assume something to do with sunglasses the way you used the term.

HTML Code:

I have been “dinged” ..., for wearing full gear at softball games
What do you mean you were dinged for wearing full gear at softball games? Did you wear chest protector, etc on the field as base umpire, or dinged for wearing a chest protector etc begind the plate, and that confuses me even more.

Could you please clarify for my addled mind?

Thanks

HSM 'Hockey Style Mask'
When I am behind the plate I always wear a full set of gear. I have been told that at certain levels I am overdressing.

Dakota Sun Jun 08, 2008 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
Pardon my lack of understanding ...

Pardon mine, too, but there is something I wonder about with your replies...

Why to you use the "HTML" tag around quotes instead of the "QUOTE" tag?

(Besides looking slightly different, it puts in an annoying (IMO) scroll bar for longer quotes...)

Like this:
HTML Code:

Pardon my lack of understanding as I am a little slow on some things relating to softball umpiring, but please clarify a few things for me:

What does HSM stand for? I assume something to do with sunglasses the way you used the term.

Could you please clarify for my addled mind?

Thanks

Instead of this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
Pardon my lack of understanding as I am a little slow on some things relating to softball umpiring, but please clarify a few things for me:

What does HSM stand for? I assume something to do with sunglasses the way you used the term.

Could you please clarify for my addled mind?

Thanks

Just wondering... :confused:

charliej47 Sun Jun 08, 2008 01:55pm

Tom,

I usually create my replies in WORD and then just copy them. WORD can have some funny ways of handling text.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 08, 2008 03:25pm

[quote=charliej47]</O>
I do remove my HSM when I am talking to a coach.:p

Are you wearing a hat during this conversation?

DNTXUM P Sun Jun 08, 2008 04:42pm

Code:

Pardon mine, too, but there is something I wonder about with your replies...

Why to you use the "HTML" tag around quotes instead of the "QUOTE" tag?

(Besides looking slightly different, it puts in an annoying (IMO) scroll bar for longer quotes...)

Like this:

Because I didn't know there was something else. Does this look better? I will remember to use the quote tag in the future. Didn't know there was anything else. Sorry to be annoying, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Now could you please let me know what a "HSM" is?

Dakota Sun Jun 08, 2008 06:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
Now could you please let me know what a "HSM" is?

"Hockey-style mask" also called HSH for hockey style helmet.

http://www.honigs.com/img_item_thumb/WVHFXthum.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
Does this look better? I will remember to use the quote tag in the future. Didn't know there was anything else. Sorry to be annoying, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Well, it's not THAT annoying, just a little.

No better... it is the same except you are using the "CODE" tag instead of "HTML" - pretty much the same result.

Hint: in the lower right of each message is a button that says "quote" if you want to quote that message in your reply. Or you can manually type {quote} and {/quote} around the text you copy/paste (replacing the "{" "}" brackets with the "[" "]") and it will display it in the quote box, but without including the member name of the person quoted.

The tags are called vB tags and are explained here.

DNTXUM P Sun Jun 08, 2008 09:28pm

Thanks

Skahtboi Sun Jun 08, 2008 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliej47
When I am behind the plate I always wear a full set of gear. I have been told that at certain levels I am overdressing.

I would still like to hear more detail on this comment? Are you telling me that there are some UIC's out there who would prefer that you not wear protective gear? If so, are they willing to assume the liability for any medical bills I may incur??

Skahtboi Sun Jun 08, 2008 09:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
Pardon my lack of understanding as I am a little slow on some things relating to softball umpiring...

:confused:

DNTXUM P Sun Jun 08, 2008 09:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
:confused:

Scott, are you just trying to show off that you know how to do quotes correctly and I don't

Hi, Sander

Larry

wadeintothem Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I would still like to hear more detail on this comment? Are you telling me that there are some UIC's out there who would prefer that you not wear protective gear? If so, are they willing to assume the liability for any medical bills I may incur??

Thats a big leap.

You and Irish are leaping tall buildings in single bounds tonight.

LMan Mon Jun 09, 2008 09:38am

I'm still pondering wearing a HSM for softball.....hm.

I always wear sunglasses on sunny days, and the only comment I received one time was that the catcher said they made me look like her coach's parole officer.


Otherwise, perhaps if you join an assoc hurting for umpires, you can wear 'glasses all you want, secure in the knowlege that they can't afford to lose you ;)

charliej47 Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:37am

I informed the assignor/UIC that I would wear what I thought as neccessary to do the game. The one league that banned the HSM, I did not work for for 3 years till they changed their policy. The one association that wanted no glasses wanted everyone to wear contacts. I did not work for them for 4 years.

Skahtboi Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
Scott, are you just trying to show off that you know how to do quotes correctly and I don't

Hi, Sander

Larry

Yeah. Sure. Something like that. ;)

Skahtboi Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Thats a big leap.

You and Irish are leaping tall buildings in single bounds tonight.

Did you read what he said?? He says he wears full gear behind the plate and gets dinged for overdressing. Sounds like to me they want him to go without gear. Not a real big leap, unless you consider a normal step to be a big leap.

NCASAUmp Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Yeah. Sure. Something like that. ;)

Amazing how some people miss the "Quote" button. He's definitely an umpire! Maybe he should appeal to his partner. :D

Oh crap, I've been around too many coaches, haven't I?

kcg NC2Ablu Tue Jun 10, 2008 05:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Amazing how some people miss the "Quote" button. He's definitely an umpire! Maybe he should appeal to his partner. :D

Oh crap, I've been around too many coaches, haven't I?

yeah maybe the only thing that could follow that is the opposing coach yelling at his partner...."He wont learn to get it right if you keep giving him all the answers"

CecilOne Tue Jun 10, 2008 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
"Hockey-style mask" also called HSH for hockey style helmet.

http://www.honigs.com/img_item_thumb/WVHFXthum.jpg

I used to think that HSM referred to the one piece with the "plastic" fully covered facial area. Is there such a thing?
The one with bars/cage like the photo above, I think of as a catcher's style mask and might be an advantage for foul balls off the backstop.
Now I know that the helmet-like top of head covering is called HSM, even though I don't watch enough hockey to know, and is taboo for some.
Or, am I still confused?
Is there any acceptable "mask" with a top of the head protector?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1