The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Willie and his Glasses (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/45138-willie-his-glasses.html)

kcg NC2Ablu Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:51am

Willie and his Glasses

:cool: Anyone see willie not take of his sunglasses when a coach was talking/yelling in the wcws? It was almost as if willie was thinking " If Coach isnt I'm not" any thoughts?

DaveASA/FED Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:57am

Didn't see it, don't know Willie but IMO anytime you are discussing something with a coach you should remove sunglasses, just common courtsey to look someone in the eyes when you are talking to them. If they don't return the courtesy that is not your problem you were the "bigger" man in the situation. Again JMO, and I am not implying anything about the umpire with my statements.

Rachel Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:40pm

Perhaps Willie has prescription sunglasses and if he takes them off he cannot see. :D

kcg NC2Ablu Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Didn't see it, don't know Willie but IMO anytime you are discussing something with a coach you should remove sunglasses, just common courtsey to look someone in the eyes when you are talking to them. If they don't return the courtesy that is not your problem you were the "bigger" man in the situation. Again JMO, and I am not implying anything about the umpire with my statements.

Willie is the guy who worked the scissors

kcg NC2Ablu Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel
Perhaps Willie has prescription sunglasses and if he takes them off he cannot see. :D

You know thats actually what I thought about last night when ASU's Coach was talking to him about a girl who wille rung up (which was a good call)

socalumps Wed Jun 04, 2008 01:26pm

Later in same game he appeared to be wearing regular prescription glasses.

bbsbvb83 Wed Jun 04, 2008 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalumps
Later in same game he appeared to be wearing regular prescription glasses.

They sound like Transition lenses to me.
The only prescription glasses I own are Transitions, and at the last clinic I attended, the clinician said that these types of glasses would not be allowed at the state finals. It's always something new with the IHSA.

socalumps Wed Jun 04, 2008 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbsbvb83
The only prescription glasses I own are Transitions, and at the last clinic I attended, the clinician said that these types of glasses would not be allowed at the state finals. It's always something new with the IHSA.

Sunglasses were black framed oakley wraparounds....other glasses were silver framed narrow lens...doubt they were transition...except that maybe they transitioned from carry case to face.:)

DNTXUM P Wed Jun 04, 2008 05:17pm

HTML Code:

Anyone see willie not take of his sunglasses when a coach was talking/yelling in the wcws? It was almost as if willie was thinking " If Coach isnt I'm not" any thoughts?
Maybe with everything going on in the world series and all of the concentration involved to work that level of ball with the pressure, he forgot. It happens to me sometimes even though I try to remember to remove them, but sometimes I forget when in the heat of the moment and I don't come close to work the level of ball that Willie works.

Skahtboi Wed Jun 04, 2008 07:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNTXUM P
[HTML]....and I don't come close to work the level of ball that Willie works.

Uh-huh. :cool:

Skahtboi Wed Jun 04, 2008 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbsbvb83

How can they "ban" glasses? If they ban any style of prescription glasses, they may as well ban them all. (Not to mention the non-prescription as well.)

What was their reasoning???

wadeintothem Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:29am

I ALWAYS, and I do mean ALWAYS take my sunglasses off when talking to a coach.

Well unless I forget I have them on.

Which is most times, I forget.. and then go "Doh! I forgot!".. ah well.. I'm sure nothing about the convo changed... but usually I can remember for the plate meeting. Usually anyway.

After that well all bets are off.

orangeump Thu Jun 05, 2008 02:47am

I dont really know where this started or why taking your glasses off is a big deal at all really.

It's not like you are shaking someone's hand while sitting down and with a glove on.

kcg NC2Ablu Thu Jun 05, 2008 05:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
How can they "ban" glasses? If they ban any style of prescription glasses, they may as well ban them all. (Not to mention the non-prescription as well.)

What was their reasoning???

several college assignors i know will not allow you to wear sunglasses on the dish and if you have transistions they are fine for the bases but get a pair of regular lenses for the plate...
Quote:

Originally Posted by orangeump
I dont really know where this started or why taking your glasses off is a big deal at all really.

It's not like you are shaking someone's hand while sitting down and with a glove on.

Its a respect thing. The thinking behind it is that sociologically our society equates respect with eye contact and sunglasses limit the ability for that eye contact. The coach's dont respect us enough to remove theirs but we should have the sense to take ours off because we should display the respect that we are asking from the coaches

RKBUmp Thu Jun 05, 2008 07:14am

So, they would rather you be squinting, looking directly into the sun on a 110 degree day in Phoenix, rather than wear a good pair of sunglasses and actually be able to see?