The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Bama-ASU

Watching replay of Bama-ASU. 4th inning, PU requested a conference with his partners to discuss a foul ball.

He stated that he was blocked by the C, but clearly saw the C pick up the ball in foul territory.

I can appreciate the effort to get it correct, but what else could it possibly be other than a foul ball? The runner did not really go anywhere until after the catcher started chasing her, so it wasn't like she was it by the ball outside of the box. Any other thoughts?

Also, been watching all weekend and just realized the umpires are not wearing the NCAA patch on their shirt.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sun Jun 01, 2008 at 10:35pm.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I can appreciate the effort to get it correct, but what else could it possibly be other than a foul ball? The runner did not really go anywhere until after the catcher started chasing her, so it wasn't like she was it by the ball outside of the box. Any other thoughts?
My wife said exactly the same thing. Picked it foul. No one near it in fair territory to touch it, so no way it could have been a fair ball.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
My wife said exactly the same thing. Picked it foul. No one near it in fair territory to touch it, so no way it could have been a fair ball.
The discussion was about did it touch anyone before it went foul because PU was blocked. and your right about the shirts but if you look on the right or left sleeve they have the NCAA softball logo with the girl swinging the bat embroidered on one of them
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
The discussion was about did it touch anyone before it went foul because PU was blocked. and your right about the shirts but if you look on the right or left sleeve they have the NCAA softball logo with the girl swinging the bat embroidered on one of them
I know what the conversation was about, I listened to it. However, other than the batter, there was nothing else in fair territory which the ball could have touched that would have changed it's status.

As noted, The batter knew immediatedly it was foul and really did not go anywhere until the catcher chased her. My post was about the status of the ball and why I didn't think a fair ball was the option. I'm looking for any other possibilities.

You would think that if either BU saw the ball hit the batter, the PU wouldn't need to ask.

And, yes, I did notice the left sleeve, but I'm still surprised I did not notice it earlier.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I know what the conversation was about, I listened to it. However, other than the batter, there was nothing else in fair territory which the ball could have touched that would have changed it's status.

As noted, The batter knew immediatedly it was foul and really did not go anywhere until the catcher chased her. My post was about the status of the ball and why I didn't think a fair ball was the option. I'm looking for any other possibilities.

You would think that if either BU saw the ball hit the batter, the PU wouldn't need to ask.

And, yes, I did notice the left sleeve, but I'm still surprised I did not notice it earlier.
It was odd and true u1 and u3 should have killed it if they thought it hit the batter but I think the PU was concerned that it may have hit a defensive player not so much the batter. and yeah the sleeve is a pretty cool substitution for the patch if you ask me