The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

what rule are they violating? Again when I saw it replayed 10 times on my DVR....it appeared to me the contact was made as, or slightly after the BR touched first base. At that point there is no running lane anymore (at least not for the INT rules sake) guess there is a possible swipe tag after the base if BR tries for 2nd....but I still think from the way I saw it there was a better case for OBS in this play...again I agree BR could have, maybe should have been in running lane sooner, maybe even farther into it....but when contact was made one foot on line, other on or over base she is in the lane, so more chance of OBS then INT, again just my opinion, we all got one!
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
what rule are they violating? Again when I saw it replayed 10 times on my DVR....it appeared to me the contact was made as, or slightly after the BR touched first base. At that point there is no running lane anymore (at least not for the INT rules sake) guess there is a possible swipe tag after the base if BR tries for 2nd....but I still think from the way I saw it there was a better case for OBS in this play...again I agree BR could have, maybe should have been in running lane sooner, maybe even farther into it....but when contact was made one foot on line, other on or over base she is in the lane, so more chance of OBS then INT, again just my opinion, we all got one!
The rule is interference the ball and runner had not reached the base yet becase f3 stepped acrossed the base path which is where the runner ran into f3 bc the runner was not in the 3ftlane watch it again

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Thu Jun 05, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

I do not have access to the play so I can not review it again.

However, in all the discussion about the play, I have yet to read or missed the following and wonder if it is pertinent. I believe the third baseman fielded the bunt picking it up with her right hand and threw the ball off her left foot and with her momentum carrying her towards the first baseline. Nevertheless, at the point f5 looked up and started her throw, where was the br (I assert that at this point, at least one her feet was in fair territory but I also believe that f5 had an unobstructed view and lane to throw the ball to 1B.)? At this point, is the runner obligated to be in the 3 foot running lane? If she is and a throw is made and it is reasonably close to either side of the bag, do we not have interference?

As I recall the play from one of the replays, the plate umpire bumped the catcher coming to the line and then almost immediately started signaling dead ball. I believe this was well before the throw made it to first base. I speculate that she saw the fielder pick the ball up, determined where the br was when f5 made a throw that looked close to 1b and ruled interfence at that precise moment.

Hope that is clear. If not, I will give a shorter version without the narrative.

Ron