The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
No Chest Protector

Last Saturday I was watching several Girls Softball 16/U and 14/U FP games. ISA umpires. They were wearing green shirts. Three out of the four PU's I watched were wearing no Chest protector. I would guess some pitches to be close to 60 MPH. These umpires were not young and dopey like some teenage umpires I have seen working the plate from time to time without a chest protector on. The one with chest protection on was the oldest of the four. He was probably in his mid 50's. The others were all probably in their late 30's or early 40's. While sitting in the stands a lady umpire sat next to me. She was getting ready to work the next game on the same field. I asked her if she noticed the PU wasn't wearing any chest protection. She said he never does. Then she told me she doesn't either. So I asked if she ever took a good shot to the shoulder, chest, or rib area. She said: " I took one to the shoulder over a month ago and it still hurts". She said she hides behind the catcher.

My question is this...Is this pretty common with ISA? I have seen a lot of games and can't remember one single umpire at 16/U or 14/U without chest protection on. I am really puzzled that someone would risk getting hurt like that. Couldn't a ball hitting someone around the heart area be a major problem? ....Al
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
Last Saturday I was watching several Girls Softball 16/U and 14/U FP games. ISA umpires. They were wearing green shirts. Three out of the four PU's I watched were wearing no Chest protector. I would guess some pitches to be close to 60 MPH. These umpires were not young and dopey like some teenage umpires I have seen working the plate from time to time without a chest protector on. The one with chest protection on was the oldest of the four. He was probably in his mid 50's. The others were all probably in their late 30's or early 40's. While sitting in the stands a lady umpire sat next to me. She was getting ready to work the next game on the same field. I asked her if she noticed the PU wasn't wearing any chest protection. She said he never does. Then she told me she doesn't either. So I asked if she ever took a good shot to the shoulder, chest, or rib area. She said: " I took one to the shoulder over a month ago and it still hurts". She said she hides behind the catcher.

My question is this...Is this pretty common with ISA? I have seen a lot of games and can't remember one single umpire at 16/U or 14/U without chest protection on. I am really puzzled that someone would risk getting hurt like that. Couldn't a ball hitting someone around the heart area be a major problem? ....Al
They probably keep it in their equipment bag with their indicator.

I must admit, that I have worked games with no chest protector, but that was years ago. I'm a little smarter now.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al

Dunno 'bout ISA, but can you say damn fool? There is nothing soft about a softball. While I do not umpire levels younger than high school agge, I wear all the gear all the time. In the higher levels of ball, I'll wear a heavier chest protector - but I've got one on in all plate games.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Dunno 'bout ISA, but can you say damn fool? There is nothing soft about a softball. While I do not umpire levels younger than high school agge, I wear all the gear all the time. In the higher levels of ball, I'll wear a heavier chest protector - but I've got one on in all plate games.
Aren't you supposed to be in Allentown?
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Aren't you supposed to be in Allentown?
The game starts at 7, so we'll leave within the hour.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
They probably keep it in their equipment bag with their indicator.

I must admit, that I have worked games with no chest protector, but that was years ago. I'm a little smarter now.
We have one guy in our crew who works Men's Modified ball without a chest protector. I don't think he even wears leg guards. All the protection I've ever seen on him was a mask.

We all think he's nuts for doing so.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

We have some knuckleheads in our association that only wear a mask while behind the plate. It's quite the show watching them juke and jive back there with their happy feet.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

My first year doing hs softball, I was encouraged by a mentor who did state games every year to work the plate with only leg guards and a mask. I had to call her to take my next game because I had a bruised rib. I don't even work slow pitch - mat-strike games without at least a mask.

her rationale was to get me in tighter to the catcher...it worked, i guess. I got the lesson at least.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

No chest, nuts.

I moved to hockey shin guards a few years ago. Love them, much lighter. I was doing a little league game Wednesday, kid is throwing 60+ and catcher is over whelmed. I almost asked for a glove. I got hit with 3 STRIKES. One got me right off the knee cap. Well I know wish I had my old huge baseball shin guards. Bruised my knee through the guard.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

My DD is playing an ISA tournament this weekend. Every PU has had a chest protector on. Some were more bulky and obvious than others, but they all had them.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 08:59pm
GrumpUmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
My DD is playing an ISA tournament this weekend. Every PU has had a chest protector on. Some were more bulky and obvious than others, but they all had them.
Is this the tournament in Lexington? I call ISA (among others) and every year at the pre-season meeting the UIC and the State Director tell umpires they are complete idiots if they do not wear a complete set of protective equipment.

A few years ago in a Fall dome game in MA we had an umpire who did not wear a chest protector and had her collar bone broken.

Does the insurance cover this type of stupidity?
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
We have one guy in our crew who works Men's Modified ball without a chest protector. I don't think he even wears leg guards. All the protection I've ever seen on him was a mask.

We all think he's nuts for doing so.
I don't wear a chest protector in men's modified either. None of the umpires in the league do. Some (including me) wear shin guards (or soccer shins) and all wear masks. I have never taken a shot to the chest or shoulders and have worked Men's modified from c to championship.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Sat May 31, 2008, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is this the tournament in Lexington?
That's it.
Quote:
do not wear a complete set of protective equipment.
I didn't check anywhere else.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 09:06pm
Administrator

I umpire both baseball and fast pitch softbal, BUT basketball is my primary officiating sport, so it is very important that I protect myself while umpiring that would keep me from officiating basketball, such as broken toes, ribs, and shoulders. That is why I always wear plate shoes and chest protector whenever I am behind the plate. Oh yeah, I also wear a breathing apparatus, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I umpire both baseball and fast pitch softbal, BUT basketball is my primary officiating sport, so it is very important that I protect myself while umpiring that would keep me from officiating basketball, such as broken toes, ribs, and shoulders. That is why I always wear plate shoes and chest protector whenever I am behind the plate. Oh yeah, I also wear a breathing apparatus, .

MTD, Sr.
I'm a pretty big guy.....6'3,225 lbs and that ain't fat. I played D1 football. I would wear the Michelin man stuff if they sold it. And I wouldn't even dream off getting back there without my full on battle armour. Even with the gear I've taken shots that were not pleasant.....