The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpUmp
Does the insurance cover this type of stupidity?
They probably would, since all ASA requires is the mask. But don't ask me, since I've never really looked much at the policy. I've been fortunate enough to have never had the imminent need.

I only do slow pitch, and I still wear soccer-style shin guards underneath my pants. That ball always seems to find the same spot on the bone.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 09:31am
softball_junky

I was invited to help with a High School tournament that they were short of umps several years ago. One ump was working the plate with a mask and cup only. I didn't check him so I'm not sure he even had a cup.:-) If you hide behind the catcher your not using the correct mechanics. I do some ISA and there are guys who don't wear their equipment either. I am not one of them. I guess I'm a wimp but I don't care what level of ball it is I wear it all.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by softball_junky
I was invited to help with a High School tournament that they were short of umps several years ago. One ump was working the plate with a mask and cup only. I didn't check him so I'm not sure he even had a cup.:-) If you hide behind the catcher your not using the correct mechanics. I do some ISA and there are guys who don't wear their equipment either. I am not one of them. I guess I'm a wimp but I don't care what level of ball it is I wear it all.
Can you say damn fool - but then I think I may be repeating myself.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I'm also too big to hide behind any catcher (6'3" 255, not all muscle). I always wear a chest protector, but one time, 2nd inning, I realized I wasn't wearing a cup!

I kept my hands over by crotch the rest of the game!
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

I used to never wear a cup when calling SP games. For 13 years, I never got hit. Then, after getting dinged twice in one week, I changed my mind.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

I know a guy who works FP (HS and ASA) who does not don a chest protector, but recently added a throat guard to his mask. Strange, eh?
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

I took a shot today in 18G so hard in the collar bone area .... I'm really not sure how umpires do it with the light weight protectors, let alone with out one at all.
I dont think Im ever giving up my west vest. I start wanting a smaller lighter one, then something like that hits me and I'm all cured.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

I wear a lacrosse chestprotector and I have had no problems with taking pitches off it... and the crappy catchers down here ... if you arent wearing a chest protector you must be asking ASA or PONY to be paying for your hospital trips. Back in the day I knew a guy in Baseball that was working 12 u AAU ball without one he got hit in the chest and his heart stopped. Luckily he was revived by the ambulance the tournement was requiring to be on site.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by softball_junky
....I guess I'm a wimp but I don't care what level of ball it is I wear it all.
heck yeah - me too

I don't like pain - I have enuf without being hit by a ball!
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

No Chest Protector

It's very funny that that I see this posted this morning after the weekend I had.

For the last year I have not been wearing a chest protector. I found that it was a lot cooler and felt very comfy behind the catchers in the area. Well that all changed this weekend. 14U game with a very good pitcher (60 MPH +) and a very good catcher. I ended up take a foul tip to the chest. All I have to say that will never happen again. I will never do a game again without a chest protector.

Chalk it up to being stupid. I very thankful and lucky that I did not break my collar bone.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasoftballump
14U game with a very good pitcher (60 MPH +) and a very good catcher.
Don't believe everything you are told. (Average fastpitch pitch speeds.)

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

In the men's fastpitch league where I play, there are a couple of umpires that do not wear chest protectors. They compensate by getting really low (too low) right behind the catcher. As a result, there is no possible way that they can see the bottom half of the zone, or the outside corner, and their zones are really inconsistent in those areas.

Perhaps even dumber, there are several catchers that wear only a mask- no chest protector or shin guards. I'm out there just waiting to see a broken collar bone or cracked rib! One such catcher took one near the collar bone area and had to leave the game, but by the luck-of-the-draw nothing was broken.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
.... 14U ... (60 MPH +)
wow - faster than some WCWS pitchers!
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...I ended up take a foul tip to the chest....
Since we're picking on iowa, I wouldn't have thought that was possible!
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

I learned my lesson about not wearing equipment in the first few games I umped. First night, 10U game, didnt wear a cup and even before first pitch of game I got nailed. Talking to UIC at backstop, pitcher threw wild pitch, catcher missed, hit concrete curbing at base of backstop and nailed me in crotch.

Got hit in top of foot about 2 weeks later with no plate shoes on, and since have been hit in the end of big toe twice. Plate shoes are on order.

Daughter also had to ump one night and she didnt have a chest protector, so I loaned her mine, thought I would be ok in a 10U game since most of them only throw maybe 35. Well, wouldnt you know it, I got the girl that was the exception and was closer to 45-50.

Last week 12U game, first 2 pitchers threw maybe 40 tops. Then the one team brings in thier ace. Big girl, easily throwing 55 or more. Was very surprised at how hard she threw for the age group. Catcher sets up on outside corner first pitch, pitcher misses on inside corner and gets me square in the shin gaurd. In 2 innings, I got hit 3 times in shin gaurd, twice in the foot, and 3 times in the chest protector. I finally asked the catcher what she was doing setting up outside, she said for the outside pitch. I told her, well, in case you havent noticed, she isnt hitting her spot and Im tired of getting beaned.

So, I have quickly learned to wear all of the equipment all of the time. I have gotten beat up more in the little kids games than I have in the older girls games.