The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking
Im looking at buying a new indicator. Ive decided on the stainless steel or aluminum indicator, which one is the most durable over time.
thanks
Seems like from the rest of the thread my response will be out of line but I'll make it anyway, I haven't used one in years, try it some time, after a couple of games you'll wonder why you relied on that crutch.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmblue
Seems like from the rest of the thread my response will be out of line but I'll make it anyway, I haven't used one in years, try it some time, after a couple of games you'll wonder why you relied on that crutch.
Here we go, another baseball guy who thinks using a tool is a crutch while at the same time refusing to support his teammate.

I've worked games without a cup or chest protector. Try it sometime, working without those physical restraints which holds back an umpire's mobility. For that matter, let's get rid of the mask that can only get in the way.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Well, most of us who have called for a while don't actually need an indicator for 98% of the game. I know the count, and I find I look down at my indicator to make sure my indicator agrees with the count in my head, not the other way around.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Here we go, another baseball guy who thinks using a tool is a crutch while at the same time refusing to support his teammate.

I've worked games without a cup or chest protector. Try it sometime, working without those physical restraints which holds back an umpire's mobility. For that matter, let's get rid of the mask that can only get in the way.
When I'm umpiring a baseball game I do not bring an indicator onto the field. While umpiring softball games I bring an indicator with me. It remains either in my left front pocket as the BU or my ball bag if I'm the PU. I can always show the indicator if my teammate needs support and it keeps the various UIC's for the different softball associations I belong to happy.
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
When I'm umpiring a baseball game I do not bring an indicator onto the field. While umpiring softball games I bring an indicator with me. It remains either in my left front pocket as the BU or my ball bag if I'm the PU. I can always show the indicator if my teammate needs support and it keeps the various UIC's for the different softball associations I belong to happy.
It is not a matter of making people happy. It is a matter of using an available and prescribed tool to aid an umpire in the performance of his/her duties. I use an indicator because I don't want to have to worry about the count or outs as there are many other issues on the field which demand the umpire's attention.
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
It is not a matter of making people happy.
Actually it can be a matter of keeping people happy. If the UIC's for the various umpire associations I work for are not happy with me, I could become unhappy with my assignments.
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Heck why not just memorize the line ups, too, and avoid that whole crutch of keeping the written line up and taking all that time writing things down.
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
Actually it can be a matter of keeping people happy. If the UIC's for the various umpire associations I work for are not happy with me, I could become unhappy with my assignments.

I'll have to agree with Mike on this one. It is a tool. While 98% of the time I never even look at mine, it is nice to know that when I do need it, I have the count right there. Everyone, at some point in time, is going to lose the count. Better safe than sorry.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Heck why not just memorize the line ups, too, and avoid that whole crutch of keeping the written line up and taking all that time writing things down.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
You don't do that?
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

A bunch of the Fed umpires around here obviously do. I mean, they never pull out the card when a change is made, so they must have it memorized, right?
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
A bunch of the Fed umpires around here obviously do. I mean, they never pull out the card when a change is made, so they must have it memorized, right?
I've never understood why an umpire will not keep a line-up card.

It can make your game so much easier by taking a few seconds to record a change. And God help you if there is a protest over BOO or substitution issues, 'cause the first thing the UIC is going to do is ask for your line-up card.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

i use as an indicator 100% of time.I have seen many a times where both teams are keeping score and start to disagree on outs or count.If you as an official do not have an indicator you are asking for one or even both teams to start jumping all over you.Why not use the tools available.number one rule cover your own ***!

Last edited by umprob; Tue Jan 06, 2009 at 05:41pm.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umprob View Post
i use as an indicator 100% of time.I have seen many a times where both teams are keeping score and start to disagree on outs or count.If you as an official do not have an indicator you are asking for one or even both teams to start jumping all over you.Why not use the tools available.number one rule cover your own ***!
Welcome to board probie...[NCIS fan]
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump View Post
Welcome to board probie...[NCIS fan]
Well, McGeek, this thread is so old, it seems more like something from Cold Case.