The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Throat Guard

What is acceptable for ASA as far as type of detachable throat guard? Also, what is acceptable by umpires as far as being "uniform"? I just purchased one from ASA and I am confused it has the big white Wilson logo and the MLB Logo on it.

Very weary of busting this thing out this weekend. Have another from a local sporting goods store but do not like it even though it is all black- it is to small.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

AFAIK, there is no official restriction from ASA on the design (including logos) of a detachable throat guard.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev1967
What is acceptable for ASA as far as type of detachable throat guard? Also, what is acceptable by umpires as far as being "uniform"? I just purchased one from ASA and I am confused it has the big white Wilson logo and the MLB Logo on it.

Very weary of busting this thing out this weekend. Have another from a local sporting goods store but do not like it even though it is all black- it is to small.
As has been stated before, not every item available for purchase from ASA Properties is fully accepted by all the UIC's as-is. While not mandatory, I would recommend getting a black indelible marker (Sharpie) and blacking out the visible logos. In that way, you will please the most conservative critic.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The book states that the throat protector be black though those sold by officialgear.com (ASA's vendor) all seem to have a trademark logo.

Don't know the size of the MLB logo, but some may think that is a bit pretentious for an umpire to wear it.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, not enough umpires use a throat protector. I bought one this year (4", plain black, velcro straps) and I only had one incident where I the throat protector get lodged between my shirt and the chest protector. Two seconds later, I was ready to go. I did not notice a single NFHS umpire with a throat protector this season, but they all seem to have metatarsal protectors on their plate shoes!

Just my two cents.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

As Steve said, a Sharpie can take care of most logos.

I also highly recommend the use of the throat guard. I used to think that the extension on the mask was enough until a pitched ball bounced in front of the catcher, came up, and caught me just left of my adams apple several years ago. It took me few minutes to recover from that one. Have worn the throat guard ever since.

Now the "funny" part of the story....My partner that day was an umpire who had a side business selling officials equipment. After I was hit and in obvious discomfort, he comes running in from his position as BU and says....

"Hey, Andy......wanna buy a throat protector????"
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
The book states that the throat protector be black though those sold by officialgear.com (ASA's vendor) all seem to have a trademark logo.
But money is more important!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Don't know the size of the MLB logo, but some may think that is a bit pretentious for an umpire to wear it.
Hmmm
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Mines black with a white W on it and has saved my life at least twice.

I recommend highly recommend wearing one. My throat is shorter which is just fine with the extended mask.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

I know that Lester's used to sell plain black, no logo throat protectors. Might want to check them out.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
"Hey, Andy......wanna buy a throat protector????"
A hallmark of a good salesman is recognizing an opportunity.

I thought I had the opportunity to get my daughter in a gameface after a line drive grazed her chin/cheek/neck last fall. The batter's father even offered to give us his daughter's (which she refuses to wear). Nothing broken, so no dice on mine, either.
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I too am a proponent of the extended throat guard. I have taken probably 3 or 4 shots on it. I don't believe the attached one offers as much protection as I want. I attach the 4" model onto the throat guard and I feel a lot more secure. I can see where a person could get a crushed windpipe without one. Dave
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
A hallmark of a good salesman is recognizing an opportunity.

I thought I had the opportunity to get my daughter in a gameface after a line drive grazed her chin/cheek/neck last fall. The batter's father even offered to give us his daughter's (which she refuses to wear). Nothing broken, so no dice on mine, either.
Let me see.

Parent - daughter
Adult - child
Wear protective gear - refuses to wear protective gear
Refuses to sign roster - doesn't get to play softball

I don't see the debate. This is why thousands of stupid parents whine and moan about ASA mandating certain pieces of safety equipment.

Well, if as a parent, it is so damn important that your daughter wear a piece of safety equipment, why do YOU let her play without it and then expect someone else to make a rule to take you off the hook?

Oops, thought I was no eteamz for a moment (Had to beat Tom to that one).
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Mines black with a white W on it and has saved my life at least twice.

I recommend highly recommend wearing one. My throat is shorter which is just fine with the extended mask.
agree - gotta have one ....... with or w/o a logo and good lord, who cares if a throat protector has a logo? geez, enuf already
Old Thu May 22, 2008, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

I was just asking to make sure about the logo. Hell I took a sharpie to the logo on my jock.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was just asking to make sure about the logo. Hell I took a sharpie to the logo on my jock.
Uhhh, you are supposed to wear THAT inside your pants.