The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Running lane

Dropped third strike that is also a passed ball. Catcher is in foul and batter/runner is in fair when the thrown ball hits her. The running lane has not been put down. I caller the batter out, but now I am not sure. We are using USGF rules. Any opinions?
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjack5150
Dropped third strike that is also a passed ball. Catcher is in foul and batter/runner is in fair when the thrown ball hits her. The running lane has not been put down. I caller the batter out, but now I am not sure. We are using USGF rules. Any opinions?
If the catcher caught the pitch for the third strike and dropped the ball on the transfer, I have an out on the batter and immediately verbalize the dropped ball was on the release and give the voluntary release mechanic.

A non-caught third strike is a different issue. Depending on the rules being played under, the batter may be able to run to first base. I'm not familiar with USGF rules, what are they?

Just because the running lane is not marked does not mean it no longer exists. That's where the umpire's judgment comes into play.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I generally look at lines as a courtesy of the facility. Sometimes, they're there. Sometimes, they're not. Sometimes, they're there, but they're wrong (since when do the coaches' boxes go towards the outfield?). Use your best judgment when the lines are wrong or not present.

In ASA, I'd probably have nothing on this play. The throw is coming from foul territory.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

As Dave said, the throw is coming from foul territory - and I'll assume from the 1B side
I've got nothing there.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

I googled USGF and found an organization called United Southern Girls Fastpitch, which seems to be Tennesee group. Their rule book is online and rule 9-17-F says the batter-runner is out
Quote:
When he runs outside the three-foot running lane (last half of the distance from home plate to first base) while the ball is being fielded or thrown to first base.
EXCEPTION: This infraction is ignored if it is to avoid a fielder who is attempting to field the batted ball or if the act does not interfere with a fielder or a throw.
Apparently, this rule is copied from somewhere (OBR? - I don't have a copy of OBR, so just guessing here), since a girls fastpitch group's rule book is written generally using male pronouns.

Notice that running outside the running lane is an infraction in any case, but the infraction is ignored in specified circumstances. Doesn't say "taking the throw at first base" as ASA does, just interfering with the throw.

Based on that, perhaps the call was correct.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't know about USGF, but speaking any assn. of which I know which uses a double-base, the BR would not be out.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Don't know about USGF, but speaking any assn. of which I know which uses a double-base, the BR would not be out.
I dunno USGF either.
If there is no double base AND the throw is coming from the 1B side of the field in foul territory, the throw is off-line, not a quality throw - so there is no interference with the fielder receivingthe throw.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Well...for only $55.00 each we can all become USGF umpires!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.