The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

ASA Courtesy Runner

In a league the bats and plays every girl, no subs, should they be allowed to use a courtesy runner for the pitcher or catcher anytime?

They want to use a courtesy runner who was the last out. I would think that Rule 8-10-C would preclude them from doing so.

8-10-C Players who are currently in the game or have participated in the game in any playing capacity are not elegible to serve as a courtesy runner.

edited to add: This league has written rule modifications but no modification that deals with the courtesy runner.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Fri May 09, 2008 at 11:35am.
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump
In a league the bats and plays every girl, no subs, should they be allowed to use a courtesy runner for the pitcher or catcher anytime?

They want to use a courtesy runner who was the last out. I would think that Rule 8-10-C would preclude them from doing so.

8-10-C Players who are currently in the game or have participated in the game in any playing capacity are not elegible to serve as a courtesy runner.
It does, unless there is a league rule that supercedes it. Since this league is already batting the line up, they have done some rule restructuring already.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump

I agree with Scott. Strictly speaking, they cannot have a courtesy runner, but it is customary in these kinds of leagues for them to allow last out to be used as a courtesy runner. They should have that in writing, but it is not at all unusual for the author of the league rules to have forgotten this little detail. In a league of this type (meaning I am assuming it is developmental or recreational), I would be inclined to cover this at the plate meeting and state that last out will be allowed as a CR, and if last out is F1 or F2, the next to last out is allowed.

I've also done tournaments where the coach was allowed to decide whether he wanted to use standard sub / lineup rules or bat the roster / unlimited subs. In this case, sometimes giving up CRs was be part of the deal if he chose the latter.
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

All of our local "Tournaments" allow for the teams to bat their roster, or use an ASA lineup. If they choose to bat their roster, then all must bat. If they want a CR for the F1 or F2, then we use the last person in the lineup who is not on base (i.e.: not the last out). If they have an injury, they can compress the lineup to 9 with no penalty - 8 and take an out.