The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Equipment bag

I need a new equipment bag. The one I have is oversized, but I like it and want the same size. The 26" standard bag is smaller, won't easily fit shoes, shinguards, chest protector and mask in the center. Also, I want side pockets that hold a lot.
I've looked through several web sites, including Nike which made/sold the olde one; even a google search and have not found anything but standard; or super-expensive with wheels and all that. I know I saw a 30" ad somewhere. Do you know where I can find such a bag?
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I just use a large duffel style bag from the general luggage department at Target (or Wal-Mart or ...). I'm with you that I like it large enough to hold everything (except pants, shirts, jackets - those are in separate hanging garmet bags).

Mine has wheels and was not expensive. It only has one outside pocket, where I keep the small stuff; my next one will have more pockets.

The ones marketed to umpires always appeared overpriced to me.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I need a new equipment bag. The one I have is oversized, but I like it and want the same size. The 26" standard bag is smaller, won't easily fit shoes, shinguards, chest protector and mask in the center. Also, I want side pockets that hold a lot.
I've looked through several web sites, including Nike which made/sold the olde one; even a google search and have not found anything but standard; or super-expensive with wheels and all that. I know I saw a 30" ad somewhere. Do you know where I can find such a bag?
Depends on how much you want to spend. The bags at Offiical Gear seem a good size, but pricey.

Or you can just call Tom Noseblower.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

I picked up a black Adidas bag from Dick's Sporting Goods. It holds my size 10 shoes perfectly (and has a vent on the side for the... scent), my indicators, hat, sunglasses, brushes, soccer-style shin guards, jacket, keys, cell phone, etc. It's got good height, which makes up for the fact that it's a 23" bag.

For a fast-pitch or modified-pitch umpire with larger leg guards and chest protector, it might work. Depends on how long those leg guards are.

The one I bought is here. For $30, it's not a bad deal.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

I use a regular suitcase (26-28 inch). Has wheels, lots of pockets for storage (inside and outside), and lots of room for everything.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

I've got this one from Honigs.

http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=1&Sub=4&Item=85
It didn't survive a flight from Amsterdam to Prague as well as I hoped it would, but it's still a good bag.

Even if it don't survive my next flight (to Sophia, Bulgaria in September), I will buy the same as I have now.
I'm so glad that Honigs has opened a European store in Germany, cuts down a lot expenses by taxes!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sat Apr 26, 2008, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
cuts down a lot expenses by taxes!
Taxes? You guys and gals pay taxes on stuff you buy?

Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
I use a regular suitcase (26-28 inch). Has wheels, lots of pockets for storage (inside and outside), and lots of room for everything.
Yesterday I found this BIG Samsonite on sale for $49. Used 1 time and returned. Store manager showed me the same one on the floor for like $299. I took the used 1 time and returned one.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Like Dakota, I got one of those huge rolling duffel bags with the extending handle. Probably 35 bucks at wally world? or wherever I got it. Nothing special, just standard huge rolling duffel. Its on its 3rd year and doing just fine. My equipment fits in their fine. My shirts and pants are in a garment bag that I attach to it with those clips.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Yes, we do. Don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Taxes? You guys and gals pay taxes on stuff you buy?

If it's bought inside the European Union the V.A.T. (Value Added Tax) will be 3,5% up to 7%. The costs for our social secrurity system has to be payed by someone (or if you like: everyone). And even our participation in let say the Afghanistan war (another bottomless well ) must be payed by all the dutch.
If it's bought outside the European Union we have to pay Import Taxes. Customs can open every package coming into the country if they think it's from a store and charge afterwards the tax.
The first time I bought something at Honigs (when they didn't have the shop in Germany) the total amount was about $70,=. I was charged another Euro70,= import taxes afterwards...

Last week I've heared about a woman living inside the USA who will buy what you order her to. She'll repack it as if it's a private package (not from a store) and send it to Europe. That way you can avoid the import tax law.
I don't know however if it works.
One US-umpire in Spain works as a civilian for the US Army. He umpires in the Spanish league and in the European competitions. He can order in the US, let it ship to his US-Mail box in Spain and pay no import tax... I think I have to e-mail him again soon

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?