The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Used Equipment

Do any of you know of any system for re-distributing officiating apparel? Wow, such verbiage. Let me try again.

I'm interested in finding ways to trade in used officials' clothes, not as a business, but to help new officials. The problem is the physical management of the items. If you knew of a system for managing that, I'd be interested in learning about it.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Why not just some postings on the web site of the local officials association. Make the new and experienced officials work out the transfer details.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Why not just some postings on the web site of the local officials association. Make the new and experienced officials work out the transfer details.
Our website is "managed". I mean, we pay Camron's business to do the work. They don't have a place for that, do you, Camron? Still, it's not a bad idea...

Are there folks out there that do this?
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

I take stuff I want to get rid of to my lower level games. If I work with someone that is new (I work with some college students from time to time) I just say, "Here, take this" and pass it on. I'm sure your association could do something similar.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Our association has an appointed person that has the "Closet" for new officials. He or she is usually present at new training at the start of each year to offer their wardrobe services.

Members are encourcaed to recycle used apparel this way
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
Our association has an appointed person that has the "Closet" for new officials. He or she is usually present at new training at the start of each year to offer their wardrobe services.

Members are encourcaed to recycle used apparel this way
That was my original thought, but it seems like a lot of work for one person. How physically do you do it? They bring all the stuff in in boxes or something? We have a store that brings in new stuff, but they have some hope of making a profit. I can't quite see how someone could be motivated to do all that for no personal gain.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
That was my original thought, but it seems like a lot of work for one person. How physically do you do it? They bring all the stuff in in boxes or something? We have a store that brings in new stuff, but they have some hope of making a profit. I can't quite see how someone could be motivated to do all that for no personal gain.
Unless your association is exceedingly generous, how much gear can it really be? A few shirts and maybe a jacket or two during the season? Keep a box in the trunk of your car. When people donate stuff it goes in the box. When you're at a place where new officials congregate, bring the box in with you. If the box overflows, keep a good mix of stuff in your trunk box, and add a seperate box at home. If there gets to be more than one box at home, donate some of it to a local rec league or church league.