The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

At the ASA Gold Regional we were instructed by the UIC not to allow the glove to be used by the pitcher in the game.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
At the end of the inning, as he crosses past me back to his dugout, I say, "Guess her glove wasn't so distracting, after all".
Why do that? Sure, I'd think it...but why be confrontational?
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Ya know, I have six major areas of concern when I am doing the dish:
Strike
Out
Fair
Foul
Safe
Ball

If I concentrate on thoseand and use positive self-talk to reinforce good mechanics and maintain concentration, then frankly I don't have time to worry about some logo on the glove. Perhaps I am fortunate and have not been impacted by that bright yellow M or W or whatever on the glove. I have had one coach mention the glove over the past three years and told him I was not distracted by it.

As for clothing (kneepads and shoelaces in particular) I believe we had something straight from Kevin Ryan last year for all ASA umpires to not pay attention to that clothing. I could be wrong about the source, but at any rate,

(mounting soapbox) IMHO we have more to worry about than clothing. If we took the time to mentor other umpires that some of us spend worrying about things like shirttails, logos and sliding pads, we'd have a lot better umpiring. (dismounting soapbox)
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
I don't think that is in the rulebook, in regards to the optic yellow coloring on the glove. I thought it just said there can't be any coloring or logos that are the color of the ball. Don't have my book here with me so I will look it up later. I personally think it's an illegal glove, but the procedure here (so far anyway) as been to ignore it unless it is brought to our attention then disallow it.

Since it was never stated what code you are using, you have been given the interpretation for NCAA. For NFHS, it could also be a legal glove, since their rule states "glove lacing and manufacturers logo are not to be considered one of the two colors permitted" for a glove to be. It also states that only gloves that are entirely grey, white, or optic yellow are to be considered illegal. The rest it leaves up to umpire discretion.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGKBLUE
At the ASA Gold Regional we were instructed by the UIC not to allow the glove to be used by the pitcher in the game.
That was a very liberal interpretation of 3:4 on his part. Extremely. Me, being the person I am, may have had to ask him what he was basing this interpretation on.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

In defense of those who state their UIC told them to call it illegal (assuming ASA), and to note why Mike has likely not responded, at last year's National UIC Clinic (Feb 2007), Kevin Ryan directed and interpreted the rule to make that spcific glove illegal. I have never seen that put into writing, nor do believe it ever has been.

I do know that several individuals passed that interpretation to Mizuno representatives, who certainly had extended conversations with Kevin Ryan, and presumably others, about that interpretation. It was specifically communicated that both NCAA and NFHS rules needed no such interpretation, that logo's and writing were not considered an intrinsic part of the glove, and that it had been stated multiple times that we were making efforts to eliminate unnecessary and unintended differences in interpretation between ASA/NFHS/NCAA whenever possible, without changing the inherent intended differences which do exist.

I will admit that I did not follow-up since, as I disagreed with him then, still do, and hoped that no news and an unstated and unwritten policy had been changed by those involved. I was and have been in "don't ask, don't tell" mode regarding ASA; but NCAA and NFHS are clear. If (Irish) Mike felt strongly that the interpretation was correct, he surely would have spoken up in this thread by now.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Coach: Blue, she can't use that glove, it is optic yellow.
Me: Really, Coach? I don't see it.
Coach: How can you miss it?
Me: Coach, I just cannot see it.
Coach: You can't see the "M" and "Mizuno" on that glove?
Me: Sure, Coach, I see that.
Coach: Well, the pitcher cannot use a glove which includes the color of the ball.
Me: That's right, Coach. If part of the glove was optic yellow, I would tell her she cannot use it.
Coach: THE LOGO AND NAME IS OPTIC YELLOW!!!!
Me: Oh, no, Coach. That's not optic yellow.
Coach: It's NOT?!?!
Me: No, Coach. In my judgment, that's green.

BTW, I'm pretty much with Steve on this issue.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

2006 ASA National Umpire School, Seattle: J. Craig to umpire students: That glove is illegal if worn by the pitcher.

2006 ASA/USA 16A National, Seattle: J. Craig to umpire crew: That glove is illegal if worn by the pitcher.

2007 ASA National Umpire School, Alaska: J. Craig to umpire students: That glove is illegal if worn by the pitcher.

2007 ASA Advanced Fast Pitch Camp, Georgia: K. Ryan to umpire students: That glove is illegal if worn by the pitcher.

Seems pretty consistent to me.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Since it was never stated what code you are using, you have been given the interpretation for NCAA. For NFHS, it could also be a legal glove, since their rule states "glove lacing and manufacturers logo are not to be considered one of the two colors permitted" for a glove to be. It also states that only gloves that are entirely grey, white, or optic yellow are to be considered illegal. The rest it leaves up to umpire discretion.
Yeah I meant ASA.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
2006 ASA National Umpire School, Seattle: J. Craig to umpire students: That glove is illegal if worn by the pitcher.

2006 ASA/USA 16A National, Seattle: J. Craig to umpire crew: That glove is illegal if worn by the pitcher.

2007 ASA National Umpire School, Alaska: J. Craig to umpire students: That glove is illegal if worn by the pitcher.

2007 ASA Advanced Fast Pitch Camp, Georgia: K. Ryan to umpire students: That glove is illegal if worn by the pitcher.

Seems pretty consistent to me.
Nobody is arguing what the ASA stance is on the glove. It's just that a couple of personal opinions fall on the side of overkill. That "coloring" is not more distracting than ....well, never mind.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Ya know, I have six major areas of concern when I am doing the dish:
Strike
Out
Fair
Foul
Safe
Ball

If I concentrate on thoseand and use positive self-talk to reinforce good mechanics and maintain concentration, then frankly I don't have time to worry about some logo on the glove. Perhaps I am fortunate and have not been impacted by that bright yellow M or W or whatever on the glove. I have had one coach mention the glove over the past three years and told him I was not distracted by it.

As for clothing (kneepads and shoelaces in particular) I believe we had something straight from Kevin Ryan last year for all ASA umpires to not pay attention to that clothing. I could be wrong about the source, but at any rate,

(mounting soapbox) IMHO we have more to worry about than clothing. If we took the time to mentor other umpires that some of us spend worrying about things like shirttails, logos and sliding pads, we'd have a lot better umpiring. (dismounting soapbox)
Amen brother!

Preach it.

The shirt tail thing especially drives me nuts when I have a partner so worried about that, its a continuous thing throughout the game and part of the pregame!!! and then!! come up to me between inning "you know shortstops shirt is not tucked in all the way around"

Gimme a break.

I will admit a certain amount of joy when working mens FP and I ask the batter to at least give me a "girl tuck" on the front of his shirt...
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
I do know that several individuals passed that interpretation to Mizuno representatives,
Maybe that's why Mizuno put their name on the middle finger of the glove. Kind of a statement in itself.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
Maybe that's why Mizuno put their name on the middle finger of the glove. Kind of a statement in itself.
I like this statement! Even when Mizuno fooled me also the first time I saw this glove: A dutch national-team pitcher was standing on the plate, ball in bare hand and I'm pretty sure I saw the ball in her glove!I could see the ball between her fingers... We don't have two ball's in this game, I've asked myself.
Well this pitcher has played since then with this glove several games for the national championships, for the European Cup and - championships, Olympic Qualifiërs and was in feb. on a tour with the Dutch Olympic softball team in San Fran. and on Hawahi. If all the umpires in those games didn't tell her to change her glove, why would I?

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?