The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Pitchers

We use the free substitution rule in our local Cal Ripkin 11 / 12 yr. old league. My question to you guys,,,,Should or does the free substitution rule apply to the pitcher also. I never knew the pitcher could re-enter as a pitcher as many times as wanted or needed in a game. I thought a pitcher could only re-enter as a pitcher one time.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 02:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxt
We use the free substitution rule in our local Cal Ripkin 11 / 12 yr. old league. My question to you guys,,,,Should or does the free substitution rule apply to the pitcher also. I never knew the pitcher could re-enter as a pitcher as many times as wanted or needed in a game. I thought a pitcher could only re-enter as a pitcher one time.
If you are using free substitution, any player can play any position at any time. All pitching restrictions go right out the window.

The league might want to reconsider free substitution, as it is loaded with problems. There are batting orders and pitching regulations for a reason, and organization and order are big considerations.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxt
Is this a local league rule? If so, you'll have to ask the local league.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxt
Our 11-12 league uses a continuous batting order and free substitution on defense, with a special restriction on the pitcher. Once he leaves the mound, he cannot pitch again in that game.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
Our 11-12 league uses a continuous batting order and free substitution on defense, with a special restriction on the pitcher. Once he leaves the mound, he cannot pitch again in that game.
You're quoting your rule (also the LL rule) for a Cal Ripken league. They don't apply here.

I'd post what does apply except oxt doesn't believe my answer on another board.

Hint: CR uses OBR and the player moved to another defensive position.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
You're quoting your rule (also the LL rule) for a Cal Ripken league. They don't apply here.

I'd post what does apply except oxt doesn't believe my answer on another board.

Hint: CR uses OBR and the player moved to another defensive position.
Sorry Rich,

I misinterpreted what he was asking. I thought he was looking for ways it was handled in other leagues.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

No, no Rich, I believe you. I just wanted to hear what others thought about it. Maybe I can get these guys here to write a ground rule stating otherewise.
I just don't think a coach should use a child that way, just to win games !! I like to win, but hey, I'll use all the boys I have to play the game. Thats why they'e out there. It ain't like they are being paid to play yet.
Thanks for replying,,,, have a good year.