The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking
New Guy? If the BU stays outside the baseline, does the BU base the timing of the tag up on the PU catch signal?
Not sure if you were referencing me or not on this post. I didn't do a good job of clarifying I was meaning with no one on base and a base hit to the left side. My bad.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Because the PU is covering home
I understand that this is what the 'book' tells us to do. My point is this: Since the plate umpire is up the line 20' to 25' to rule on the catch, why is it not OK to let the plate umpire stay there, in the event something extraordinarily odd (since R1 tagging instead of going part way to second is a rarity in itself) happens and R1 advances to third? If R7 did not catch the ball, and R1 advances to third, the PU would have R1. In that situation also, if R1 attempts to advance past third, the PU would still have to beat it to get to the plate to make that call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Which is the RUNNER, not the ball. A lazy umpire has to give up something. Someone who hustles inside can easily get deep enough to see a catch and runner movement with peripheral vision, it isn't that difficult. Another option is to come inside closer to the runner, but you are really going to have to bust down to 2B for a possible play.
I'm far from lazy and I don't give up anything. I back up a step or two, so I have both F7 and R1 in my peripheral vision. When F7 touches the ball, R1 is released and I hustle to get in position to make a call at second, getting a 90 degree angle from the runner's base path going into second. If the ball gets away, my partner has R1 going into third, and I follow around on the outside of the base line in order to box in the runner. If R1 advances past third, PU takes her home, and I move down toward third, once again boxing in the runner.

It's obviously more work for the PU, but this way, we have the runner boxed in the entire way. And of course we pre-game this mechanic. If I have a partner that isn't open to working thisn way, I would have to come in and do the best I can to know when F7 touches the ball.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
And of course we pre-game this mechanic. If I have a partner that isn't open to working thisn way, I would have to come in and do the best I can to know when F7 touches the ball.
Let me quote a philosophy from the NCAA Softball Umpire Manual:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Alexander
Have a pregame with your partners. Review how you will handle tag ups, appeal plays, the tag between home and first , three- foot lane interference, check swings, obstructions and interferences. Do not deviate from standard mechanics in the pregame. Deviation is acceptable only during a play situation. In other words, do not start the game deviating. In order to deviate, the ball must be batted, and there must be a breakdown in a play or rotation. If you deviate, you must communicate.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
I'm far from lazy and I don't give up anything. I back up a step or two, so I have both F7 and R1 in my peripheral vision. When F7 touches the ball, R1 is released and I hustle to get in position to make a call at second, getting a 90 degree angle from the runner's base path going into second. If the ball gets away, my partner has R1 going into third, and I follow around on the outside of the base line in order to box in the runner. If R1 advances past third, PU takes her home, and I move down toward third, once again boxing in the runner.
So why not come inside since you are using the same technique to watch the runner? This way, the umpire can use the same mechanic on EVERY ball to the outfield, not just those to F7.