The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Working the rim

I started out in hardball and was trained as BU in a 2 man system to always move into the infield from A when the ball is hit to the outfield. I started doing softball with NSA last year and was trained the same, so I thought that this was a cardinal rule for all umpiring. Now I may be working some PONY this year and have been looking at thier umpire manual. It describes a mechanic called working the rim where if the BR has the possibility of a triple on a ball hit to the left half of the outfield, BU follows her to 2B outside of the basepath and then moves inside the basepath to take BR to third.

I'm curious about other levels of softball, ASA, NCAA etc., do they teach the "rim," and also would like to hear any comments on these 2 different approaches.

I'd like to try the rim. I'm scheduled to do an NSA tournament this w/e and if I tell my PU that I'll be working the rim, he'll probably think I'm a heretic.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

As far as I know ASA is strictly inside the diamond taking the BR to 3rd, that is when starting with no other runners on base on a hit to the outfield.

Seems like NCAA says (for 2 umpire system) on a hit to the left side of the outfield the BU can stay "outside" and take the runner to 2nd. The PU then has 3rd if it goes that far (the help ahead theory).

I haven't done NCAA 2 man and don't have the manual handy, but I'm pretty sure that it says something very close to that.

When in Rome (NSA) do as the Roman's (NSA Manual) do.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue
I started out in hardball and was trained as BU in a 2 man system to always move into the infield from A when the ball is hit to the outfield. I started doing softball with NSA last year and was trained the same, so I thought that this was a cardinal rule for all umpiring. Now I may be working some PONY this year and have been looking at thier umpire manual. It describes a mechanic called working the rim where if the BR has the possibility of a triple on a ball hit to the left half of the outfield, BU follows her to 2B outside of the basepath and then moves inside the basepath to take BR to third.

I'm curious about other levels of softball, ASA, NCAA etc., do they teach the "rim," and also would like to hear any comments on these 2 different approaches.

I'd like to try the rim. I'm scheduled to do an NSA tournament this w/e and if I tell my PU that I'll be working the rim, he'll probably think I'm a heretic.
If outside the baseline to 2nd:
1) How does the BU get inside 2nd to make the call if the play goes there?
2) Why take longer to get to 3rd if the play goes there?
3) What is the advantage?
4) Why have to make so many judgements (triple or double, left or center) besides watching the runner and fielders?
If the system calls for PU to cover a BR at 3rd, same Q about covering 2nd?
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
If outside the baseline to 2nd:
1) How does the BU get inside 2nd to make the call if the play goes there?
2) Why take longer to get to 3rd if the play goes there?
3) What is the advantage?
4) Why have to make so many judgements (triple or double, left or center) besides watching the runner and fielders?
If the system calls for PU to cover a BR at 3rd, same Q about covering 2nd?
Cecil,
When I work the rim, a double is the maximum I expect the BR to get, most stop at 1B. So,
1-I easily get a 90-degree for the tag play at 2B.
2-I'm not expecting BR to go to 3B and if she does and my PU partner does not get to 3B, I really have to move quickly to get there.
3-see #1
4-good question - this method does have the advantage of never having to turn to pick up either BR or the ball. When the BR does stop at 1B, I'm already at my starting position for the next pitch.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Cecil,
When I work the rim, a double is the maximum I expect the BR to get, most stop at 1B. So,
1-I easily get a 90-degree for the tag play at 2B.
No easier than if from the inside if the umpire is doing his/her job.
Quote:
2-I'm not expecting BR to go to 3B and if she does and my PU partner does not get to 3B, I really have to move quickly to get there.
And then you have an issue if the ball gets passed F5. Seems to me it is much easier to keep the PU one base ahead of the runner.
Quote:
3-see #1
See response to #1.
Quote:
4-good question - this method does have the advantage of never having to turn to pick up either BR or the ball. When the BR does stop at 1B, I'm already at my starting position for the next pitch.
Yeah, IF the ball is to LF with no one on. Very situational that allows for around 10% of all possible action with a batted ball to any part of the outfield by any one batter.

BTW, I have worked this system for Billy P. We were all introduced to it less than 4 hours prior to the first game on which I had 1B at the Men's Major. After about 2 innings the crew had an impromptu meeting in the infield and agreed to go back to the standard ASA mechanics. By the next day, it was a piece of cake WITH A 3-UMPIRE CREW. I would not suggest it for a 2-umpire adult game.

As it was presented to us, it is a mechanic that should be used at the advanced level by advanced umpires, not necessarily as the default for all.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
You're right, it is very situational. And I think your 10% is probably on the high side.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

In a 3 umpire crew, as presented in NCAA, there is no reason to go inside; there is an umpire waiting at second, and both that umpire and trailing plate are inside, so staying outside brackets any possible play.

In a 2 umpire crew, the only better coverage is when the BR returns to first. In that case, you are not in the line of the possible throw, and, as noted, are already close to where you want to end up for your B position.

If/when the runner goes to 2nd, you are not in as good a position as being inside. Yes, you can get a 90 from there, but the inside 90 is a better look at the play, and does not place in the line of the possible overthrow.

If/when the runner goes to 3rd, you are trailing, not ahead of the play; or else your partner has to pick up YOUR play, and be out of optimal position if the runner turns and goes home. Sure, they can; but shouldn't need to.

Given that all mechanics are a trade-off of advantages and disadvantages, I would say that, except for 3 man, or coasting in 2 man on a sure single, this is a bad mechanic to prescribe as a default.