The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
I've been doing a lot of middle school games alone recently. Your first year is hard enough, nevermind being alone 60% of the time. Being the only target on the floor has been tough. I was going out to a game recently and said to my friend "time to go get verbally abused infront of dozens of people again."

I have asked the assigner if he would like a few more names so we don't have this problem but he has said no, the season is close to being over for this league. Sensing that I will be doing quite a few games solo the rest of the year, what is the mechanic? I have been going about foul line to foul line, drifing with the ball as it goes down low and as it goes across the court. Is there more I can do?

Oh yeah, when I can help it, I run up and down opposite the benches to lessen the ability of the coaches to jump all over me..
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Here is an article written by an official in Corpus Christi, TX. Copied with his permission. It may help...keep your chin up and keep working hard. There may be some slight modifications you will make as you get experince (hopefully your one-man experience will be limited).

Flying Solo: An Article on Self Preservation
- THE ART OF ONE-PERSON MECHANICS -

By Rick South
(Corpus Christi Basketball Chapter ¡V TASO)

Sooner or later every referee works alone. Sometimes your co-official has an emergency, and it is too late to find a replacement. More commonly, your assignor does not have enough officials on a particular date and you receive the honor. Manuals and training in two- and three-person mechanics are readily available, but no formal training exists for one person mechanics. This article intends to provide effective tools and guidelines for performing at a high level as a crew of one.

Most importantly, do not panic. You can do this. Staring wistfully out the gym door and frantically searching among the fans, or (worse) the assistant coaches, for a suitable partner is a waste of valuable time. You are now the R in the game. Act the part. Take care of all normal pre-game duties.

Working solo requires special attention to these key areas:

„h Table: Inform the scorekeeper that once he or she makes eye contact with you during a foul, the report will be made without further eye contact (more on this later). Table personnel should be prepared to assist you if you question whether or not a shot went in the basket.
„h Captains: Make captains aware of three situations during the captains meeting. 1. If you request help on an out of bounds call, the call will be made by the players (players always know this one anyway). If opposing players disagree on the call, you will award the ball according to the possession arrow. Any disagreement at all, period - goes to the arrow. 2. Inbounds plays may require you to make some unusually long bounce passes to the inbounder, even to the point of passing the ball through parts of the playing floor, and these passes must reach the inbounder without interference. 3. In addition to retrieving loose balls you will expect them to hold the ball during any report to the table until you request it.
„h Coaches: Let them know that you will be far too busy to converse with them during the course of the contest.

Now you are ready to toss it up. If you understand three person mechanics you will work primarily from the C and T positions. Work from free throw line extended to free throw line extended. Do not go to the baseline or lead position unless absolutely necessary for play coverage. Drives to the basket will be officiated from behind the play while closing down toward the baseline to maintain an angle. Intelligent sacrifices must be made in off ball coverage. For example, opposing players more than six feet apart do not need your attention. Maintain a wide field of view and referee through the play. Otherwise, it is business as usual with a few exceptions as follows.
Page 2
Flying Solo

„h Always work opposite the table. If the play takes you to the tableside get back to the opposite side as soon as play will allow you to cross the floor. If you have a foul call while tableside, go opposite before you stop to report.
„h Foul reports: Stay wide of the players. Move to a spot, stop, and stand still to facilitate a clear report. Glance at the scorekeeper to make sure you have his or her attention, then give the report without taking your eyes off the players. You work and report from table opposite so your back is never to the players.
„h Free throws: Administer all attempts from the trail position facing the table.
„h Inbounds plays: This one requires common sense on your part. Obtain a position that allows you to see the whole play and bounce the ball to the inbounder from that spot, even if you must pass it between players. Inform the players of where you will pass the ball in unusual situations and say the word "play" as soon as you are certain the inbounder has secured the ball.
„h Time outs: I recommend standing in the center circle facing the table. Do not forget the spot if an inbounds play follows the time out.
„h Transition offense: Trail the play slightly. Do not neglect the players that are trailing but focus on the action at the point of attack.
„h Pressure defense: Maintain position even with or one step ahead of the ball and stay as wide as possible.
„h Trouble spots: The most difficult play coverage occurs when the ball goes to the comer on the other side of the floor. It usually helps to move toward the division line and into the middle of the floor as long as you can stay clear of players at the top of the key. Do not get caught out there in transition.

These recommendations are made with the hope that you will land your next solo flight without incident. Feel free to modify to fit your style or situation as needed. A crew of one is certainly not the ideal situation, but if you can get the players to work with you, a solo game can be a very rewarding experience. In fact, you may be amazed at how well the players respond with one referee and what great sportsmanship they often exhibit in this situation.

I had the honor of working many solo games under the watchful eye of Billy Giaquinto during the summer 2000 "Top of the World Basketball Camp" in Fairbanks, Alaska. Billy's first game in the old PAC 8 (1963) was a solo effort. He was an invaluable source of good information. Also, Nicole South, super soccer official (daughter), fully convinced me that if one referee could handle twenty-two players on a soccer field, surely ten on a basketball court could not be all that difficult.

Recruiting efforts will someday, hopefully, make this article obsolete. Until then, feel free to copy and distribute.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Great article. I think it is a keeper.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 12:58am
We don't rent pigs

I think this applies in every game, but is magnified tenfold when you work alone. Don't be afraid to shrug your shoulders and say "I don't know because I didn't see it."
Don't make a lot of random calls. If you didn't see why 3 players fell to the floor in the lane, it's a no-call. If you look away from the ball and when you look back the ball is up in the bleachers and you don't know how it got there, go to the AP. etc. 2 people cannot watch 10, so 1 person alone is kinda up the creek. Don't try to do more than you can do.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I'm sorry to hear people are so unforgiving in your area. Where I live, referees who go it alone are generally given a break. Especially, if the guy lets the little kids play with his seeing-eye dog while he's reffing.

- Catherine Aird
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by dsturdy5
Being the only target on the floor has been tough. I was going out to a game recently and said to my friend "time to go get verbally abused infront of dozens of people again."

I have asked the assigner if he would like a few more names so we don't have this problem but he has said no, the season is close to being over for this league.
This is the reason it is so hard to keep officials. Every association I have worked in has a problem keeping young officials and situations like this add to the dilemma.