The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Working By Yourself

I showed this morning to call some rec games, and my partner never showed. Until a replacement could be called in, I worked two 12 yr old games by myself. Obviously, it can be difficult to work like that, but is there a best place to work from?
I started working basically trail the whole time, but the first game was getting physical with a lot of action underneath, so I started getting down to the baseline anytime I could. This meant I missed some action on turnovers, but I can only do so much!
And, of course, the first game into overtime. Figures right?

Also, in one of the games, there was a fan that just would not shut up. He wasn't swearing, but his comments got worse and worse as the game went along, and he started getting personal (You're an idiot, your pathetic, that kind of stuff). Would you have ejected him? I didn't pay him any attention, though I alerted the gym supervisor that I was considering tossing the guy I never got to that. If it was a coach, he would have been long gone - should I have the same criteria for fans?
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Work from the trail and stay opposite from the table. Get in a position to see as much as you can knowing that most of your time will be on ball. It's 12year olds so this can't be too hard of games.
As for the howler monkey, if he's bothering you get the site person or the coach of the team to either get him under control or get him out of the gym. You stay out of it. Don't take comments too personally. They're almost always about them, not you. But if he does croos the line, have him tossed. Do not restart the game until he's been dealt with.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

When working alone I normally work foul line to foul line on the side opposite the table. Obviously there are times when I need to alter that to see individual plays, or if the style of play requires it. But that's my default way of working.

As for the bonehead in the stands, if he's seriously distracting you, ask the gym manager to take care of him. Otherwise, he paid his money and he can talk all he likes. I feel sorry for his kid; he probably cringes everytime his dad opens his mouth.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach
Also, in one of the games, there was a fan that just would not shut up. He wasn't swearing, but his comments got worse and worse as the game went along, and he started getting personal (You're an idiot, your pathetic, that kind of stuff). Would you have ejected him?
12 yo rec game?

I would have humilated him. Hand him my shirt, hand him the whistle, smile and tell him it's time to find out what he can do. Then I would have sat down next to him to see what happens next. C'mon big guy, get in there...you seem to know how to do this...maybe I can pick something up watching you...

I haven't worked solo in a long time but I usually went free throw line to free throw line. Tell the players and coaches before hand you're gonna miss stuff so don't wait for a whistle and you really don't want to hear any complaining.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
12 yo rec game?

I would have humilated him. Hand him my shirt, hand him the whistle, smile and tell him it's time to find out what he can do. Then I would have sat down next to him to see what happens next. C'mon big guy, get in there...you seem to know how to do this...maybe I can pick something up watching you...

I haven't worked solo in a long time but I usually went free throw line to free throw line. Tell the players and coaches before hand you're gonna miss stuff so don't wait for a whistle and you really don't want to hear any complaining.
I was thinking along the same lines. Tell game management to give him a whistle, don't eject him. Then thank him for volunteering to be your partner. Sh!t, I'd even offer him my pay for the game just to see it happen.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 08:40pm
Huck Finn

I would suggest working from trail to trail. Also, once the ball is in the half court I move closer to the middle of the court. I feel like this is the best location to see as much of the court as possible. I learned this while doing a three-on-three tournament. You can't see it all, but being on the endline cuts off a lot of stuff. Being on the free-throw line extended makes it hard to see the other side of the court. With my technique, the one thing you are going to live with is the fact that you will have to stand your ground during a quick steal because you will be in the way.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

One of the worst officiated games I ever saw was done by a single ref. Now, I understand that you have to be gracious to a guy braving it by himself, but this guy was a piece of work. Fast-paced 8th grade boys game, both teams liked to run. This ref looked mighty sedentary (like he swallowed a VW). He stayed opposite the table, and never strayed more than five feet from the mid-court line. He squatted with his hands on his knees and peered at the action. He didn't call a single foul in the paint that I recall, but he sure saw every ticky-tac bit of contact around the perimeter. Guards were fouling out as kids were getting mauled in the lane. But in all fairness, he 'called it both ways' as they say!
Old Sat Feb 03, 2007, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

1) Free throw line to free throw line
2) Work across from table/bench's
3) Have palyers get you the ball
4) Call early fouls - get game under control
5) Take your time
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Top of the key

The best view is from the top of the key. You can move from one side to the other depending on ball movement. Then, when the ball changes hands, just back up to the sideline, let the players pass, then trail back to the top of the key on the other side.

We cover this in camps and it seems to be the standard in our area.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 11:35am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian
The best view is from the top of the key. You can move from one side to the other depending on ball movement. Then, when the ball changes hands, just back up to the sideline, let the players pass, then trail back to the top of the key on the other side.

We cover this in camps and it seems to be the standard in our area.
The guy in post #6 said something similar. The view from the top of the key is superior to the view from the free throw line extended when you only have one set of eyes.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
The guy in post #6 said something similar. The view from the top of the key is superior to the view from the free throw line extended when you only have one set of eyes.
From "top of Key" you win on OOB Line visability, loose on seeing between players.

For me the "dodging players" requirement is a real disadvantage.

That said I think the key in "1 man" is getting cooperation and support from anywhere - table, players, coach's, etc.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 12:38pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I also go over the issue with the coaches before the game and tell them things such as - I won't be able to watch the ball and the 3 second violations, and I will be out of position to make side-line OB calls, I'll do my best to run the floor, etc. Most coaches are understanding and just glad they have ONE ref and don't have to call it themselves or get that "know it all" fan to do it! Although, THAT would be hilarious!!
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 12:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelcoach
Also, in one of the games, there was a fan that just would not shut up. He wasn't swearing, but his comments got worse and worse as the game went along, and he started getting personal (You're an idiot, your pathetic, that kind of stuff). Would you have ejected him? I didn't pay him any attention, though I alerted the gym supervisor that I was considering tossing the guy I never got to that. If it was a coach, he would have been long gone - should I have the same criteria for fans?
Should you have the same criteria for fans as coaches. Yes, if they get personal.

Would I have ejected him? No!

The minute he got personal, stop the game. Give him a warning. I'm not being paid enough to listen to that. I would ask him if he wants to do this. Offer him the whistle. From here on, everytime he opens his mouth, look at him (the stare) waiting for him to make the next comment. If he says something you don't like. Goodbye.... More often than not, the warning will settle them down. In fact, I have to admit. I am 100% for my warnings. It always settles them down. I also like what Dan_Ref said, classic, I might have to use that one.
Old Sun Feb 04, 2007, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

So baiting fans is as successful as baiting coaches. Check.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 12:03am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
From "top of Key" you win on OOB Line visability, loose on seeing between players.

For me the "dodging players" requirement is a real disadvantage.

That said I think the key in "1 man" is getting cooperation and support from anywhere - table, players, coach's, etc.
Nope, you don't loose on seeing between players unless you are talking about a specific play in a specific area. Tell me another location besides close to the center of the court above the key where you can see as much and loose less than freezing and letting players go by you on a quick steal.