The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

McDavid Hexpad from gerry Davis

Does anyone use the McDavid Hexpad from gerry Davis, PR2748?

http://www.gerrydavis.com/Merchant2/...gory_Code=CPRO

A friend of mine bought one two weeks ago and loves it.

I need other opinions before I buy one.

Thanks
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

west vest = dont need it.

Ive though about the undergarment pants which have the thigh protectors, but so many game I work are so hot, I've pretty much decided no.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2008, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Can't see any reason for a shirt like this, especially at the price listed. That is about the same as the Pro Nine chest protector, which will protect you to the point where you don't need "extra padding." Just another way for a company to try to get in our pockets, it seems to me.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Not an under garment

The selling point is, this takes the place of your chest protector for softball umpires. With that in mind, now what do you think?

Sorry that I have not answered before now, but I was out of town without internet access.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4
The selling point is, this takes the place of your chest protector for softball umpires.
No it doesn't. That's what I think. A glorified blanket is not a chest protector.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
No it doesn't. That's what I think. A glorified blanket is not a chest protector.
I agree. Nice summation of the product.

Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Gerry Davis had McDavid design it specifically for softball umpires using the Hex Pad technology. It has extra protection over the shoulders and collarbone areas. The person who wears it said he has been hit between the shoulder and collarbone several times. I know he has owned a Honig and pro-nine in the past. He is really sold on it.

I am withholding my judgement until it has been used for a longer period of time. It would be nice if it lives up to its advertisement.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gerry Davis had McDavid design it specifically for softball umpires...
And it very well may match exactly the level of protection a MLB umpire believes is required by a "soft" ball umpire.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gerry Davis had McDavid design it specifically for softball umpires using the Hex Pad technology. It has extra protection over the shoulders and collarbone areas. The person who wears it said he has been hit between the shoulder and collarbone several times. I know he has owned a Honig and pro-nine in the past. He is really sold on it.

I am withholding my judgement until it has been used for a longer period of time. It would be nice if it lives up to its advertisement.
You can try it if you want. But I will tell you this. I used to use the old foam style All Star chest protector that had the hard shoulder protection. With some of the 4 and 5 A HS around here, not to mention the colleges that I work, it didn't take me long to realize that was not enough protection. I took one to the collarbone, and one to the chest in the heart area. The second one felt like I was literally dying. I went out and purchased the Pro Nine with the hard plates sandwiched between foam and the extensive shoulder and collarbone protection. I have never regretted that decision. There is no way that anybody, including God himself, could convince me that I would be better off wearing a quilt disguised as a shirt over a decent chest protector.

Last edited by Skahtboi; Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 06:57pm.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 02:25pm
Never Stop Learning

It is also the wrong color for ASA play and is a mock turtle neck that can't be hidden.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Maybe it would work for indoor play that really does use a soft ball - but I don't use any chest protector for those games. I do not see ample protection for some high school ball, let alone college, and forget about it for the men's game.