The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Not in general, but how about this... pitch, batter swings and misses for 3K on a low pitch. You believe the ball was caught, but it was close. Batter starts running, F2 stands and shows you the ball. Would you glance at the BU to look for a signal, or just rule the batter out?

The signal is not useful on EVERY 3K, just on the ones where you, as PU, aren't sure.
My question would be: why do I need to rule the batter out? Its not an immediate concern. Its all live ball. I am more than willing to check for a short hop or something I missed. I'm not going to yell "youre out" to a "BR" running down to 1B. If that batter is out, she is out. We'll get it sorted out. If the catcher is standing there showing me the ball.. thats on F2 if she didnt really catch it.

Would you stop a the runner from running?
Old Thu Mar 13, 2008, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
My question would be: why do I need to rule the batter out? Its not an immediate concern. Its all live ball. I am more than willing to check for a short hop or something I missed. I'm not going to yell "youre out" to a "BR" running down to 1B. If that batter is out, she is out. We'll get it sorted out. If the catcher is standing there showing me the ball.. thats on F2 if she didnt really catch it.

Would you stop a the runner from running?
I agree it is not an immediate cocern, giving you time to glace at the BU. If the ball was caught, I'm not going to stop the runner from running, but I am going to declare her out. I realize it is not REQUIRED, and that the play, if any, is on the players. It is just what I'd do.