The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Batter runner moves toward home

R1 on 2b, R2 on 1B, batter drops a bunt down the firstbase line. F3 comes up with and the BR then stops and backs up towards home.

PU comes up with "dead ball'. BR out, and returned the two runners back to 1b & 2B.

1. Correct for NCAA ?

2. Correct for Fed ?

3. Correct for ASA ?
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA, this is the correct call if F3 attempted to tag the BR
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

correct in all three.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
correct in all three.
Not necessarily.

In ASA and Fed, the runners are returned to the base occupied at the time of the interference - this move is considered interference. In NCAA, the runners are returned to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. It is entirely possible and likely that both of your runners had obtained the advance base prior to the batter-runner stepping backward toward home - since they are likely breaking on the pitch.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

had this come up today in training. vet ump did not know the anwser
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump4all
had this come up today in training. vet ump did not know the anwser
hopefully now he/she does - we learn every day!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

had this come up today in training. vet ump did not know the answer

Training under what code?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quick sidebar

I don't want to hijack this thread, but...

This is similar to a call I had in a championship game (14U) at a TCS tournament about 3 years ago; I was PU and my mentor was BU. Same situation but I had a runner on 3rd that I had to send back when the batter/runner moved toward home. I had called the BR out on her first step back. OC comes out and asks me to explain the rule, which I did. He then goes to the more experienced BU and BU comes to me for a conference (OC was livid, he's down by 1 late in the game). BU said he wasn't sure of this rule in the TCS rulebook, so we decided to go with my call. OC protests. TD and UIC come over and, after 5 minutes, we continue the game, BR is out. My first protest won, and in front of my mentor. Nice moment for me. OC comes over after the game and tells me good job. Even nicer. Sort of a Master Card moment.

BR out in TCS too.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Not necessarily.

In ASA and Fed, the runners are returned to the base occupied at the time of the interference - this move is considered interference. In NCAA, the runners are returned to the base occupied at the time of the pitch. It is entirely possible and likely that both of your runners had obtained the advance base prior to the batter-runner stepping backward toward home - since they are likely breaking on the pitch.
Yes, there is a techincal difference, but I have never had a baserunner advance to the next base prior to the infraction.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Yes, there is a techincal difference, but I have never had a baserunner advance to the next base prior to the infraction.
I have. Bunt-and-run. Runner was clearly around 2B before the BR retreated. Would have been ruled differently had it been a college game.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You must have had some slow runners, Scooby. With runners off with the pitch, they'd almost have to be at their next base by the time the B-R stepped back. I've seen this in ASA and in college.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA version of this reminds me of a play (originally an OBR discussion) I posed to my NCAA/ECAC softball group (and nobody is certain of the answer). But I'd like to propose a variation with BR stepping backward toward home:

NCAA softball:

Abel on 3B, 1 out. On a suicide squeeze, Baker bunts the ball on one hop to F1, who throws home too late to get the sliding Abel. F2 now throws to F3, who had charged the bunt and is now on the 1B line 15 feet from the bag. When F3 attempts to tag Baker, Baker retreats toward home to delay/avoid the tag.

Baker is out. But the question is, Do you now send Abel back to 3B?

Of course, under ASA and Fed rules, the run scores since the "interference" came afterward. The book rule in NCAA would be to send Abel back to 3B. However, that's also the book rule in OBR, but Abel's run does score.

Note: The original play involved the BR being called out for running lane interference. Unlike ASA (and I guess Fed), NCAA (and OBR) return runners TOP of the BR commits interference before reaching 1B.

Last edited by greymule; Mon Feb 11, 2008 at 04:27pm.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
The NCAA version of this reminds me of a play (originally an OBR discussion) I posed to my NCAA/ECAC softball group (and nobody is certain of the answer). But I'd like to propose a variation with BR stepping backward toward home:

NCAA softball:

Abel on 3B, 1 out. On a suicide squeeze, Baker bunts the ball on one hop to F1, who throws home too late to get the sliding Abel. F2 now throws to F3, who had charged the bunt and is now on the 1B line 15 feet from the bag. When F3 attempts to tag Baker, Baker retreats toward home to delay/avoid the tag.

Baker is out. But the question is, Do you now send Abel back to 3B?

Of course, under ASA and Fed rules, the run scores since the "interference" came afterward. The book rule in NCAA would be to send Abel back to 3B. However, that's also the book rule in OBR, but Abel's run does score.

Note: The original play involved the BR being called out for running lane interference. Unlike ASA (and I guess Fed), NCAA (and OBR) return runners TOP of the BR commits interference before reaching 1B.

I assume you mean Alpha and Bravo...