The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to illiniwek8
OK....what is the official ruling here? Batter/Runner hits a home run and while rounding third and before he touches home plate...a few of his teammates slap him high fives. The call here is?????

Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

High Fives

I'd go with a team warning if any of them come out without helmets one (even though the ball is in dead-ball territory) - provided the knucklehead batter doesn't stop running and a teammate has to point him to the plate in which case there would be a problem. I'd not take a home run away for exuberance, although I'd remind them that if they did it during a live ball they could be costing their team a run.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 08:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: High Fives

Quote:
Originally posted by rickfriedmann
I'd go with a team warning if any of them come out without helmets one (even though the ball is in dead-ball territory) - provided the knucklehead batter doesn't stop running and a teammate has to point him to the plate in which case there would be a problem. I'd not take a home run away for exuberance, although I'd remind them that if they did it during a live ball they could be costing their team a run.
OOO alert, whoop, whoop, whoop, OOO alert.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

High Fives

No, not overly officious. Just anticipating what happens later in the game when a runner slips going around third on a live ball drive to right and the coach picks him up. Touching is touching. The POINT was, let the players know what COULD happen. As I said, I'd do nothing in the dead-ball homerun situation except let them consider the impact of running out of the dugout on a LIVE BALL.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, OOO

"Team warning" when they aren't even doing something covered by the rule - you noted, yourself, that the ball is not live.

Threatening to "take away" a run if "touching" happens during a live ball [the rule prohibits assisting a runner, not touching].

Getting your shorts in a tangle over a situation that "might" happen a couple of innings later when an actual rule gets violated, so you jump into a perfectly innocuous situation to coach the players so that the dreaded "coach assist @ 3d" doesn't happen.

That is the very definition of an Officially Officious Official.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Live Ball

Well, the mark of a good official is taking constructive criticism and remembering it - versus remembering the missed call. You're right. Both of you. Leave the "in case" and let the kids have fun. That's what the game should be about.
Thanks for the professionalism in your responses. And thanks for your insights!
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by illiniwek8
OK....what is the official ruling here? Batter/Runner hits a home run and while rounding third and before he touches home plate...a few of his teammates slap him high fives. The call here is?????

After the B/R touches home, give the pitcher a new ball, clean the plate off and get ready for the next batter.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 10:41pm
M.A.S.H.

I believe I'd at least say something and remind the players if the batter runner took his helmet off. If I remember correctly, that's a POE this year. Or.......am I way off base?!
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
I believe I'd at least say something and remind the players if the batter runner took his helmet off. If I remember correctly, that's a POE this year. Or.......am I way off base?!
The POE this year closest to this situation involved players coming into live ball territory while the ball is live. After a homerun, that isn't the case.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:09pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
The POE this year closest to this situation involved players coming into live ball territory while the ball is live. After a homerun, that isn't the case.
Thanks Garth. I don't have my hand out close by...and the more I think about it, I believe our speaker said something about it.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Read this: i think it applies here.

http://www.amateurumpire.com/others/rs/rs14.htm
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:

After the B/R touches home, give the pitcher a new ball, clean the plate off and get ready for the next batter.
I don't even wait that long. I give the pitcher the ball as soon as he's paying attention. I know that you don't want to put a projectile in the hands of an angry pitcher, but I've never had one come back in my direction
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:

Here's the skinny.

Some amateur coaches were playing in NCAA when there was a severe penalty for the action you describe.

Beginning in 1983, the home runner hitter was out when anyone other than the base coach touched him before he touched the plate. (7-11x)

In 1984 they tweaked it a little by adding "after a warning, the batter is out...," etc.

In 1999, the NCAA dropped that statute (7-11x is no longer in the book) and replaced it with: For the action you describe: Warning first offense; ejection, subsequent offenses. (5-2d)

BTW: They also added that other than "preceding base runners" no team member could be on the dirt at home plate. The penalty: Warning first offense; second offense, ejection of "one of the offending players."

That's still the rule in NCAA!

You never mentioned the level of play, so those who rushed to say there is no penalty could be wrong.

Lah, me, everyone is an expert these days. I suppose I had better start reading The Forum daily. (grin)

One thing's sure: The question is not an OOO. In my area, coaches do not permit their players to violate the [non-existent FED] rule. I am always amused when I hear a coach scream: "Stay off the dirt!" It happened in my game Tuesday night. Both coaches had played at the local D1 school.

Personally, I think it would be a positive move for FED to adopt it as well. Some teams visiting in our area clog up the third-base line after a home run. The home team coach always hustles out to demand we enforce the penalty and becomes quite disgruntled when he finds there isn't one.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
[
Lah, me, everyone is an expert these days. I suppose I had better start reading The Forum daily. (grin)
Nahhh. I only recall one poster at the forum who put himself in a class with Evans and Roder.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
[
Nahhh. I only recall one poster at the forum who put himself in a class with Evans and Roder.
And I recall at least one wannabe who gave a ruling without knowing he could be wrong.