The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Softball Baseball

Quote:
Unlike a lot of Softball umpires, I do not pretend I umpire softball because it's better than baseball.
Well, that would depend on what level and the mentality of the participants. I quit baseball after 22 years because of the condition of the game.

Sandlot baseball is probably the purest form of the game and I would take working that over anything else. Why? Because the "prima donnas" are basically dressed down by their fellow players. There are no adult coaches/daddies living vicariously through their team/children. There are no parents from River City who honestly believe the "Think System" works and their child is the star. There are no whining wannabes thinking every at bat is their chance to win the World Series. There are no valid stars who believe they deserve millions for playing a child's game, every pitch at which they do not swing MUST be a ball, and it is always interference or obstruction on the other guy.

Of course, you have the equivilant whiners and criers in softball, but the same applies. The more childish adults you remove from the game, the better it is. That is not to be confused with good coaches who know how to coach and control their players, and in turn, the manner in which the game is played.

Quote:
I LOVE baseball, always have, always will.
Me, too, until it became a business for the players and not a game.

Quote:
I do it because there is a LOT more money to be made umpiring softball in our area than baseball. Money talks and bs animosity between baseball/softball walks in my mind...
Last time I heard that phrase (money talks, bull**** walks) was when they caught Joey Coyle, the South Philly putz who found some money that fell out of an armored car on Swanson Street in South Philly.

Personally, I don't buy into the animosity that does exist in many markets. In this area and others I have visited, it has ALWAYS been the baseball-only umpires looking down their noses at the softball umpires. AFAIC, if you are a sports official, you are a sports official. The game you do is irrelevant. Obviously, there is much more respect to those who strive to do it better than others, but money isn't always a motivator or sign of a better official. Will I give a baseball umpires and other sports officials some ribbing over the length of their games and sometimes the mechanics? Sure, but that is because I'm recruiting them to work softball

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sat Feb 09, 2008 at 11:23pm.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

As I thought about that post at todays clinic, I'll also add there is a lot more opportunity in softball for the "hobbyist" umpire than baseball.

Virtually, the highest pinnacle of hobby/part time umpiring in baseball is NFHS. I consider NFHS to be mid level at best, and easy to do.. pay your dues, attend a couple of meetings, and go do it. No big deal. But if you talk to some (especially on this BB forum), you'd think NFHS was the Mount Sinai of umpiring.

In softball, the opportunities are much better for higher level of ball than NFHS.

Length of games?

I dont see how you can rib them about that, considering I will be working 12-14 games on a weekend consisting of 10+ hour days.

Boredom between pitches though... yep softball has baseball beat by a mile.

Attitude.. excluding mens games, softball is also the big winner there.

Baseball IS the sport though. That is just fact. The beginning and the end. Its where we probably all started and it the 2nd greatest sport there is (2nd only to football).
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA

Personally, I don't buy into the animosity that does exist in many markets. In this area and others I have visited, it has ALWAYS been the baseball-only umpires looking down their noses at the softball umpires.
There is some animosity, and I would agree, typically it is baseball types looking down on softball... which is just plain ignorance of the sport of Fast Pitch Softball... personified by many of our brethren a few links up.

I probably work a higher levels of baseball than most of them, and I dont even try. I get found on the softball field and recruited by their peeps.

lol
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Baseball IS the sport though. That is just fact. The beginning and the end. Its where we probably all started and it the 2nd greatest sport there is (2nd only to football).
Uh-oh! Do we need to start a thread about the origins of baseball and how it resembles softball much more than baseball?
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Uh-oh! Do we need to start a thread about the origins of baseball and how it resembles softball much more than baseball?
Not unless you started umpiring 100 years ago.... other than that, you likely learned the love of the game in baseball..

and that is exactly the type of stuff I was talking about in my post, btw.

Admit baseball is what got you started. Not rounders.. not some lame history lesson.

Virtually the only exception, IMO, would be a female who started with softball and never payed attention to baseball.. or a strange exception for an individual.. for most, we played baseball.. and now umpire.

Just admit it.

The highest level of umpire you can be is a MLB umpire.. plain and simple.

I'm no MLB umpire groupie who knows all the umpires names, numbers and underwear sizes like some of our bros up top there, but its fair to admit simple truth.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not unless you started umpiring 100 years ago.... other than that, you likely learned the love of the game in baseball..

and that is exactly the type of stuff I was talking about in my post, btw.

Admit baseball is what got you started. Not rounders.. not some lame history lesson.

Virtually the only exception, IMO, would be a female who started with softball and never payed attention to baseball.. or a strange exception for an individual.. for most, we played baseball.. and now umpire.

Just admit it.

I'm no MLB umpire groupie who knows all the umpires names, numbers and underwear sizes like some of our bros up top there, but its fair to admit simple truth.

AMEN!!!!

Pretty freakin accurate.....regardless of what many of us want to admit!!!
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just admit it.

That depends on the way you look at it. Many of the umpires on this board know their respective rules and mechanics better than some of the MLB umpires.

I have not been overly impressed in the manner some of these "professionals" act the last couple of decades. I've never really understood why an umpire would argue with a coach or player or make a production out of an ejection. Other than succeeding in looking childish on TV, what does it accomplish?

And for a position which is supposed to be the authority officiating the game instead of a participant, why are there so many different uniforms? Why the need for a fashion statement?

And numbers? Why are numbers even used for any sports official? The players and coaches know who the umpires are? The spectators certainly have no need to know who the official is. If they do, why not just put their name on the back of their shirt/jacket?

Okay, now that I have that out of my system, I agree that it is prestigious to be an umpire in the major leagues. Are they the best? Let's say they are the best that survived. It takes a lot of perseverance to get the opportunity to work at that level. There are many other umpires who just cannot make the commitment of the long hours, lots of travel and less than prestigious money. It doesn't mean they are not better umpires, just that their priorities are not the same.

To be honest, I'm not sure many know the rules that well. Then again, I'm always thought the MLB rules are presented in a pretty convoluted manner.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... you likely learned the love of the game in baseball..

...Admit baseball is what got you started. ...
Uh, in my hometown we only had softbal (FP) for girls, women and man. No baseball at all. In seventeen years of playing, I've only played one season in baseball. And no I didn't enjoy it! I love FP softball. Baseball is just an other game, just as SP softball must be... (never played that game, so I'm not sure)
I've tried one game in cricket, also a member in the great base- and softball-family. That's a game I did like, but I couldn't combine it with my softball umpire- and family-life.

I know that someone must be different from all the others; let that be the dutch-guy...

Next week I wll start a whole new experience in officiating: Rugby. Last September my 5 year old son started to play rugby, now I'm asked to learn how to be their referee. Wish me luck!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex
Uh, in my hometown we only had softbal (FP) for girls, women and man. No baseball at all. In seventeen years of playing, I've only played one season in baseball. And no I didn't enjoy it! I love FP softball. Baseball is just an other game, just as SP softball must be... (never played that game, so I'm not sure)
I've tried one game in cricket, also a member in the great base- and softball-family. That's a game I did like, but I couldn't combine it with my softball umpire- and family-life.

I know that someone must be different from all the others; let that be the dutch-guy...

Next week I wll start a whole new experience in officiating: Rugby. Last September my 5 year old son started to play rugby, now I'm asked to learn how to be their referee. Wish me luck!
I was talking about Americans... I have no clue what you dutch are up to.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have not been overly impressed in the manner some of these "professionals" act the last couple of decades. I've never really understood why an umpire would argue with a coach or player or make a production out of an ejection. Other than succeeding in looking childish on TV, what does it accomplish?
On Rob Drakes site is the video of Bill Haler v. Earl Weaver.. it is a hallmark of unprofessionalism in an umpire IMO, so your point is well taken and very true. I think on some level, MLB umpires must be able to stand their ground in a world of egos that big.. but I agree with you.

And I also agree, some of the "mechanics".. well, they are not mechanics at all.. just goofy flop arounds and dances designed for the show..
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex

Why do they need an official? There aren't any rules in rugby, is there?
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why do they need an official? There aren't any rules in rugby, is there?
if rugby dont work out for em, I'm sure soccer is quite popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjynbUNlvWU
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
if rugby dont work out for em, I'm sure soccer is quite popular.
Soccer is so popular, that most parents along the lines think and act like their son is the next star. Just as in baseball in your USA...
In Holland the most kids playing rugby have British parents (who aready were playing rugby). The dutch kids playing rugby mostly don't like that (nasty)atmosphere on and besides the fields...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I started out as a FP umpire. Then picked up SP and some small ball for a while, but never enjoyed either as much as I did the FP game.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I started out as a FP umpire. Then picked up SP and some small ball for a while, but never enjoyed either as much as I did the FP game.
You must have very clean fingernails.