The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I was talking about Americans... I have no clue what you dutch are up to.
Wade,
They play some pretty good ball over there. I saw a number of players over there that could play just about anywhere.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Wade,
They play some pretty good ball over there. I saw a number of players over there that could play just about anywhere.

Anyone can play anywhere..

The real test is... could they hang in CA? (land of the best players, best softball, and best umpires)

Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anyone can play anywhere..

The real test is... could they hang in CA? (land of the best players, best softball, and best umpires)

Now, that's funny!
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I consider NFHS to be mid level at best, and easy to do.. pay your dues, attend a couple of meetings, and go do it. No big deal.
Wow. Is that really the way they do things in your area? It's quite the opposite here.

(And, no, this isn't a "baseball vs. softball" rant, or an argument why one is better than the other. I do both, enjoy both and try to do each with the proper mechanics and guidelines provided for either.)

Around these parts, the FED baseball and softball groups are two separate entities. If you're doing baseball, attendance is mandatory for at least eight two-hour meetings and a field clinic. Your first year, you must pass the FED test with a minimum of 80% or you'll never step foot on the field.

Your first year will be sub-varsity games only. Your second year requires more mandatory classroom time, another test (this one closed-book), another passing score and another field clinic to advance. Before getting your first varsity games you must schedule and pass a "live" game evaluation performed by two senior members of the local association.

In short, it takes a lot more than "paying your dues and going to a couple meetings" to get assigned to FED baseball in this area. And there's no getting certified for both FED baseball and softball in one association. If you want to do softball, too, then you have to go through a similar process with a different group.

I wish that our local ASA group had half as much training. They truly are closer to "pay and show up". You need only attend two meetings and pay your dues to get put on the field. The ASA test is not required and neither are any local clinics or evaluations. (We do happen to have the National Umpire School coming to our state this year and I hope to avail myself of that opportunity.)

Then there are the other "alphabet soups" playing one form of ball or the other- NSA, USSA, PONY, LL, etc.- which truly are "pay and you're in", with no training or testing required at all.

Baseball or softball- for me, neither is better than the other. But the training and certification for baseball in this area far exceeds anything that is offered for softball. Only FED softball comes close, and ASA is a very distant third.

Last edited by BretMan; Sun Feb 10, 2008 at 09:57pm.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
Around these parts, the FED baseball and softball groups are two separate entities. If you're doing baseball, attendance is mandatory for at least eight two-hour meetings and a field clinic. Your first year, you must pass the FED test with a minimum of 80% or you'll never step foot on the field.

Your first year will be sub-varsity games only. Your second year requires more mandatory classroom time, another test (this one closed-book), another passing score and another field clinic to advance. Before getting your first varsity games you must schedule and pass a "live" game evaluation performed by two senior members of the local association.
Similar in requirement if you want regionals.. not so much just to work. In fact, I am known, and have been asked to cover NFHS BB and NEVER attended a NFHS BB meeting ever (same assigning organization for FP and BB)... I declined out of fairness to myself and the players (I dont know NFHS BB rules, only OBR).

Quote:
In short, it takes a lot more than "paying your dues and going to a couple meetings" to get assigned to FED baseball in this area. And there's no getting certified for both FED baseball and softball in one association. If you want to do softball, too, then you have to go through a similar process with a different group.
Same here, technically, you must do both.

Quote:
I wish that our local ASA group had half as much training. They truly are closer to "pay and show up". You need only attend two meetings and pay your dues to get put on the field. The ASA test is not required and neither are any local clinics or evaluations.
Well, the clinics are always mandatory. Aside from that.. it depends on what you want to do for Travel... Prior to this year, there was an informal process whereby the assignor pretty much knew everyone and where to put them. Now in our area, it is a formal evaluation process with levels. The criteria for each level is fairly strict. I work 18 Golds and Mens FP so have nearly met the highest level for non-elite umpires (but have a few more edges to smooth out) and hopefully can get elite in the next few years.

I also teach my own clinic for my own local, most of whom just work the Rec and Beer league.

There are the umpires who just do that, and I wouldnt think it should be more than "pay your dues and attend a clinic" to get on the field. Beyond that, it is up to the UIC's to provide training OJT.

Quote:

(We do happen to have the National Umpire School coming to our state this year and I hope to avail myself of that opportunity.)
I'll be in Dublin for the National School this weekend.. should be great fun (will be my 3rd of 4 clinics this year!)

MIKE should come out and be a surprise guest speaker!

Quote:
Then there are the other "alphabet soups" playing one form of ball or the other- NSA, USSA, PONY, LL, etc.- which truly are "pay and you're in", with no training or testing required at all.
LOL! The ASF offered a free shirt and membership.. NO CLINIC.. to work their little mens FP thing.

Lame.

Quote:
Baseball or softball- for me, neither is better than the other. But the training and certification for baseball in this area far exceeds anything that is offered for softball. Only FED baseball comes close, and ASA is a very distant third.
I just have to disagree there in general with that principle for those who want to advance..

I would agree, if you want to toss a cold one back and trot onto the beer league fields with the good ole boys.. you dont have to do much..

If you want high level regionals and nationals and top level tournies.. quite a bit of training, evaluation, and hard work is required... at least in our area.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll be in Dublin for the National School this weekend.. should be great fun (will be my 3rd of 4 clinics this year!)

MIKE should come out and be a surprise guest speaker!

Me too.

wade check your PM
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Me too.

wade check your PM
Awesome! Will be the first umpire I've met off this board. I'll be looking fer ya.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just have to disagree there in general with that principle for those who want to advance..

I would agree, if you want to toss a cold one back and trot onto the beer league fields with the good ole boys.. you dont have to do much..

If you want high level regionals and nationals and top level tournies.. quite a bit of training, evaluation, and hard work is required... at least in our area.
Yep, Wade, I imagine that there are about as many different variations on training, certification, assigning, evaluations, practices, etc. as there are different regions handling umpires.

Heck, you can get variation from one ballpark to the next, let alone from one city, county or association to the next. Multiply that on a national level and it's easy to see things just aren't the same all over!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...Admit baseball is what got you started...
Virtually the only exception, .. or a strange exception for an individual..
I guess I am the strange exception then. I never really played any serious baseball growing up..more into basketball. The small town I grew up in had a town men's fastpitch team that played in a statewide league. Almost every Friday and Saturday night was spent at the local field watching the Mens FP games.

I became a HS basketball official after college and did that for about 12 years. When the legs couldn't handle the pounding on the hardwood any more, one of my buddies convinced me to try FP...that was about 10 years ago and I have been hooked ever since.

I have done a few baseball games as a favor to assignors, but found that I just did not like it.

FP softball is where I started umpiring, and it's where I will stay.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 08:04am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Well, that would depend on what level and the mentality of the participants. I Personally, I don't buy into the animosity that does exist in many markets. In this area and others I have visited, it has ALWAYS been the baseball-only umpires looking down their noses at the softball umpires.
To a one. I enjoyed calling softball; anywhere I can wear shorts callin ball in in Georgia, I'm in!

Quote:
AFAIC, if you are a sports official, you are a sports official. The game you do is irrelevant. Obviously, there is much more respect to those who strive to do it better than others, but money isn't always a motivator or sign of a better official. Will I give a baseball umpires and other sports officials some ribbing over the length of their games and sometimes the mechanics? Sure, but that is because I'm recruiting them to work softball
You're full of it. A sports official is a sports official until you have to spend a day behind the plate watching 80+ mph baseballs dancing all over the place.

Softball guys need to understand that baseball guys who look down on you are cretins. But don't for a second think the level of profficiency is the same. It ain't. What you do is good enough, I'm a basball guy but I don't spend my time measuring weenie lenghts with Delta Force guys either.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 08:05am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy

FP softball is where I started umpiring, and it's where I will stay.
Best ball I ever called.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 08:15am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I have not been overly impressed in the manner some of these "professionals" act the last couple of decades. I've never really understood why an umpire would argue with a coach or player or make a production out of an ejection. Other than succeeding in looking childish on TV, what does it accomplish?
It's called entertainment. MLB is entertainment first, all things second. ProoF? Steriods, modern ballparks and haf inning times - commercial lenghts.

Quote:
And for a position which is supposed to be the authority officiating the game instead of a participant, why are there so many different uniforms? Why the need for a fashion statement?
Why not? teams do, fans do, dogs and cats do.

Quote:
And numbers? Why are numbers even used for any sports official? The players and coaches know who the umpires are? The spectators certainly have no need to know who the official is. If they do, why not just put their name on the back of their shirt/jacket?
Jeez, you're full of issues, Mr. Issues. Nubers are easily read from distances.

Quote:
Okay, now that I have that out of my system, I agree that it is prestigious to be an umpire in the major leagues. Are they the best? Let's say they are the best that survived. It takes a lot of perseverance to get the opportunity to work at that level. There are many other umpires who just cannot make the commitment of the long hours, lots of travel and less than prestigious money. It doesn't mean they are not better umpires, just that their priorities are not the same.
So is all of life

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not sure many know the rules that well. Then again, I'm always thought the MLB rules are presented in a pretty convoluted manner.
They do, they are, and they have as many issues as you do. Maybe.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

I started this post many times then went back to remove all the sarcastic comments about this post. After about 20 minutes, this is what I ended up with:

Thanks,

Mike
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

First my perspective, I only umpire NFHS softball and ASA JO girls FP. I think there are elite umpires in both sports softball and baseball. I also feel like to each their own. BUT I also feel like there softball umpires are looked down upon by baseball umpires. I think it has to do with the male ego thing of a mans sport is more important that a girls sport (remember my softball is only girls FP). I think the guys see themselves living vicarously through their sons so the mans sport is ranked higher. Personally I beleive that is total BS, but there is that sort of feeling in my area.

On the topic of FED vs ASA (all I can speak to) I think they both have the ability to have off the street umpires. In my state all you have to do in FED is take an open book test and you are registered to umpire. For ASA all you have to do is send in money and you are an ASA umpire. So both are easy to get, there are no requirements to do any mentoring any clinics nothing...just get ahold of people who schedule and you are ok to work....

Now if you want to move on, state tournament series in FED, you have to go to a certification clinic (every two years) and take part !! of the NFHS test (every year) and be ranked high enough by ADs (basically coaches) and have a strong enough schedule. All of those go into a formula and you get a rating, the highest 100+ get sectional games, then from those some get regional then a smaller amount get state assignments.

ASA, to do state tourneys (Run by state ASA) you have to attend a clinic every three years, rules meeting every other year, complete the ASA test, and be judged as acceptable by the state UIC staff. To go to Nationals, both regionals and championships you have to have worked several years at the state level and been given high evaluations and reviews by the UIC's at these state tourneys. Then the state UIC and Commisioner have to approve your appointment to a National.

To me the ASA has the best program in our area. It has umpires evaluating umpires. There is a LOT more chance for feedback, ability to get constructive advice. FED is kind of a free for all work with a partner tonight and who knows who will show up tomorrow night.....and there are a lot of people who do it just for the money and care not to improve their skills! Nowhere is there a UIC kind of setup in FED until you get into the Regional or State level.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Just ran across something interesting that kind of fits in with this thread...

My two areas of certification/registration are NFHS baseball and ASA softball. My region is one of those where the NFHS baseball and softball umpires are in totally different groups, with different associations, meetings, assingors, etc.

I thought that I would look into becoming certified for NFHS softball, so I searched for and found the web site run by their local umpire group. On the first page, there was a plea for more umpires! It said that they have a severe shortage and were begging their members to accept more games to their schedules.

Cool. Sounds like a favorable "supply/demand" situation and a good chance to get my foot in the door!

So I contact their association president for more info. Come to find out that their mandatory meetings are held on exactly the same the same nights, at the exact same hour, as the mandatory NFHS baseball meetings are held.

This makes it impossible for an umpire to meet the classroon requirements and get certified for both sports in this area. My only option in doing NFHS softball would be to attend the meetings for a different association- one is about an hour south of me, the other about an hour north- and then I would only be assigned games in those far-off districts.

Guess I won't be doing any high school softball anytime soon...