The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Equipment

Where do you guys buy all of your equipment? I am going to get ASA certified and need the whole nine yards. I have a chest protector and face mask. I will need everything else. Also what is the norm, one ball bag or 2??

Thanks!
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Suggestions

I would try honigs.com or ump-attire.com. They have good selections of umpire safety equipment.

Get your pants from the ASA store; I hear they won't let you do any championship games unless you have ASA pants.

One ball bag, just make sure it's right color. Your best bet is to check out the ASA website and research the required uniform. If you are looking for ASA shirts, then the ASA website is the place to shop.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
There are a number of places to get the equipment. You can get ASA stuff from www.officialgear.com Also where I work some wear only 1 bag unless the grass is wet then we wear 2 bags to be able to hold more balls. I kinda prefer 2 since that gives you a place to store the extra stuff you might need during the game (extra balls, extra indicator, chapstick, line-up holder etc.) Also I can see why ASA (as far as I know) doesn't make gray ball bags with ASA on it. I think gray pants with a gray bag looks bad. JMHO, Dave

Last edited by shipwreck; Wed Dec 12, 2007 at 09:29am.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHSAref
Where do you guys buy all of your equipment? I am going to get ASA certified and need the whole nine yards. I have a chest protector and face mask. I will need everything else. Also what is the norm, one ball bag or 2??

Thanks!
Get all of your uniform stuff from ASA - hats, shirts, ball bags, and I get my pants there too. They have Fecheimer pants and I think those, along with Cliff Keen, are by far the best.

I would only get ASA-insignia ball bags from ASA - all other ball bags I get from Honigs. ASA's are slightly smaller. I use 2 bags all the time - it looks better and allows me to carry the "spares".
For just about all of my other stuff, I use Mike Shields' store - good (not great) proce and outstanding service.
In the past, I have used Gerry Davis, Honigs, and Lesters - service is great at all of them, but Davis is overpriced when compared to the others.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

I get my equipment from Honigs and shirt, hat, jacket and ball bags for ASA. For fastpitch I go with two ball bags because I hate having the game stop because all the balls are out of play.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Get all of your uniform stuff from ASA - hats, shirts, ball bags, and I get my pants there too. They have Fecheimer pants and I think those, along with Cliff Keen, are by far the best.

I would only get ASA-insignia ball bags from ASA - all other ball bags I get from Honigs. ASA's are slightly smaller. I use 2 bags all the time - it looks better and allows me to carry the "spares".
For just about all of my other stuff, I use Mike Shields' store - good (not great) proce and outstanding service.
In the past, I have used Gerry Davis, Honigs, and Lesters - service is great at all of them, but Davis is overpriced when compared to the others.
I was going to take exception to the previous post that stated "one ball bag," but I see that you have already pointed that out. I actually have four of each type that I may need. In other words, four grey. four navy no letters, four navy ASA. As I wear two at time, like you stated, for many of the same reasons, I don't have to worry about the appearance of my bags as I always have a clean set waiting in the van.

For a pretty large listing of online equipment/uniform retailers, you can go here.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM FP Ump

Get your pants from the ASA store; I hear they won't let you do any championship games unless you have ASA pants.
Never heard of this. Maybe it is partictular to specific state. It is not the case in Michigan, but you can't just show up in anything.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
Never heard of this. Maybe it is partictular to specific state. It is not the case in Michigan, but you can't just show up in anything.
Just passed this year. National office apparently wants this.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
What I have heard from some of the ASA honchos around here is that at a recent National Championship, the shade of heather gray on some umpires pants was noticeably different. They want all umpires at a national championship event to all purchase their pants from the same vendor so that the uniforms look...well, uniform.

What they did not consider, however, was the umpire that tries to get 10 years out of a pair of pants. If her shows up at a national championship and is asked about his pink-shaded, faded out gray pants, he can still say that he bought them from ASA and meet the requirement.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
What I have heard from some of the ASA honchos around here is that at a recent National Championship, the shade of heather gray on some umpires pants was noticeably different. They want all umpires at a national championship event to all purchase their pants from the same vendor so that the uniforms look...well, uniform.

What they did not consider, however, was the umpire that tries to get 10 years out of a pair of pants. If her shows up at a national championship and is asked about his pink-shaded, faded out gray pants, he can still say that he bought them from ASA and meet the requirement.
But they're politically correct - nevermind.

I have found - with ball bags - that the same color is probably going to be different, unless they have come from the same "lot" (I think that's the right term) of fabric. So, when I buy ball bags, I will buy two of a kind, at a time.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Andy, there was also commentary and general agreement that the grey pants will be policed a little better at Nationals. (Not that they should be worn at Nationals in the first place...but thats another can of worms....)
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...the umpire that tries to get 10 years out of a pair of...pink-shaded, faded out gray pants,...
I doesn't take anywhere near 10 years. After 2 seasons, the gray under the belt is darker. After 5 or so, they are starting to go noticeably pinkish brown. And, this is in MN. Heaven knows how quickly it happens in the year-round season / desert sun of Phoenix!
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I doesn't take anywhere near 10 years. After 2 seasons, the gray under the belt is darker. After 5 or so, they are starting to go noticeably pinkish brown. And, this is in MN. Heaven knows how quickly it happens in the year-round season / desert sun of Phoenix!
I'm not in a year-round area either and I don't get anywhere near 10 years.
I may get 8 years out of the navy's, but the last couple of years I only wear them for league play. I might get 4-5 years out of the grays. I'll usually buy 1 plate and 1 base pair of each color each year.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

If someone comes to a national tourney and looks bad, deal with them. You don't need to make a new rule for everyone.

Last edited by Scooby; Thu Dec 13, 2007 at 02:01pm.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Scooby,
I agree 100% but in my limited National experience (3 years) there are some local umpires that are in the good old boy club....Local UIC, or assistant UIC just won't piss off the local guy. Ya they mention in premeetings to look sharp, but guy shows up in pleated dress pants more of a light gray not even heather and nothing is said to him, or at least he continued to wear these pants the entire tourney. Maybe that has prompted ASA to "be the bad guy" and make the rule, again a cop out deal with the issues and leave everyone else alone!!! But again those few rotten apples make someone create a rule. I also agree with the 10, or maybe 20 year old pants that have were purchased from ASA way back when that should have been retired years ago....it WILL happen, and still nothing will be said. It might help with the people who wear normal dress pants with triple pleats in the front, but there will always be someone who skimps on clothes. Like Steve mentioned rotate your gear, it is an investment. But some still will strive to get as much for as little as possible. ok sorry I will get off my soap box