The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   National Umpire School in NC (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/39841-national-umpire-school-nc.html)

NCASAUmp Sun Nov 25, 2007 05:10pm

National Umpire School in NC

Anyone going? My understanding is that it will be in Cary, NC, sometime in January. I've already told my UIC that I intend to go, and I was just wondering if anyone else has any plans to go.

AtlUmpSteve Sun Nov 25, 2007 08:20pm

From information recently circulated:

It will be held the weekend of January 19-20, 2008, in Cary, N. C. beginning promptly at 9:00 am. The school will be conducted at Middle Creek Community Center, 123 Middle Creek Park Avenue, Apex, N. C. 27539. Cost of the school is $80.00 and checks should be made payable to North Carolina ASA.

Instructors for this year’s school are:
Dick Gayler, Regional UIC
Kevin Ryan, Supervisor of Umpires
Mark Ingrao, Regional UIC

MichaelVA2000 Mon Nov 26, 2007 01:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Anyone going? My understanding is that it will be in Cary, NC, sometime in January. I've already told my UIC that I intend to go, and I was just wondering if anyone else has any plans to go.

I'll be attending the one that's being held in Northern VA being held in January.

cpa Mon Nov 26, 2007 01:16am

I've been thinking about going to the NC one or the one in Plant City, FL -- Where is Cary? Is is closer to Georgia or Virginia?

That would have some bearing on whether I go or not

NCASAUmp Mon Nov 26, 2007 08:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpa
I've been thinking about going to the NC one or the one in Plant City, FL -- Where is Cary? Is is closer to Georgia or Virginia?

It's just next to Raleigh, NC, which is roughly in the middle of the state, but slightly closer to Virginia.

Try this Mapquest link.

I believe it's being held at Middle Creek Park, which is a pretty decent park. If anyone needs directions, let me know.

Fozzie Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:01am

I'm planning on attending. Hopefully with a bunch of other Charlotte area umpires.

Jeff "FOZZIE" Merriman

AtlUmpSteve Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpa

Cary is about 2 to 2-1/2 hours closer to you than Plant City. However, the weather might be better in central Florida in mid-January!!

NCASAUmp Mon Nov 26, 2007 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Cary is about 2 to 2-1/2 hours closer to you than Plant City. However, the weather might be better in central Florida in mid-January!!

Bah! Cold weather? No such thing in North Carolina. ;)

Then again, I'm from Wisconsin, so my view of what's actually "cold" is a little skewed.:cool:

IRISHMAFIA Mon Nov 26, 2007 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
I'll be attending the one that's being held in Northern VA being held in January.

Not ASA

AtlUmpSteve Mon Nov 26, 2007 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Not ASA

There is the ASA/USA Coaches Clinic?? But no ASA National Umpire School, according to the National ASA site.

MichaelVA2000 Mon Nov 26, 2007 07:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
There is the ASA/USA Coaches Clinic?? But no ASA National Umpire School, according to the National ASA site.

At our last association meeting it was mentioned that the National Umpire School would hold a weekend session in Northern Virginia sometime in January 2008. As of now the dates have not been posted on our website or arbiter. I just left a voicemail requesting further information from our UIC.

NCASAUmp Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:03pm

Quote:

At our last association meeting it was mentioned that the National Umpire School would hold a weekend session in Northern Virginia sometime in January 2008. As of now the dates have not been posted on our website or arbiter. I just left a voicemail requesting further information from our UIC.

Totally possible. I'd heard rumblings about the NC school as far back as September or October, but didn't want to jump the gun and say anything about it here until I knew it was official (I got the confirmation this last weekend). But if the VA school is true, they'd better get crackin' and get it set up ASAP. They've got less than two months! :)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:38am

Quote:

I can assure you that there is no ASA National School in Region 3 this year.

There is, however, a Central Atlantic Regional Umpire Clinic, most likely in MD (but you never know, location has not been locked in yet) on the first weekend in February, 2/2 & 2/3.

The last two years it was in Dulles, VA area (Holiday Inn) on the third weekend of January. It was moved there from a traditional March date to avoid college schedules. Turns out that the umpire associations dealing with the NCAA decided to move their "clinics" to the last couple of weekends in January, hence the change to the first weekend in Feb.

MichaelVA2000 Tue Nov 27, 2007 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I can assure you that there is no ASA National School in Region 3 this year.

There is, however, a Central Atlantic Regional Umpire Clinic, most likely in MD (but you never know, location has not been locked in yet) on the first weekend in February, 2/2 & 2/3.

The last two years it was in Dulles, VA area (Holiday Inn) on the third weekend of January. It was moved there from a traditional March date to avoid college schedules. Turns out that the umpire associations dealing with the NCAA decided to move their "clinics" to the last couple of weekends in January, hence the change to the first weekend in Feb.

Got feedback lat night from my UIC and the ASA clinic I mentioned is a regional clinic and will be held the first weekend in February in the Sterling Virginia area. Sorry for any confusion.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Nov 27, 2007 09:17pm

Quote:

regional clinic and will be held the first weekend in February in the Sterling Virginia area. Sorry for any confusion.

Hmmmm. It was in Sterling in 2005 & 2006, in Dulles last year and was supposed to move into MD this year. Guess I shouldn't be surprised they went back to the familiar territory.