The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

How to widen your stance

Ok everyone tells everybody I have seen work they need to widen their stance, myself included. So I have a question, maybe I am the only one with this issue, maybe some of you have overcome it. If you have that is why I am asking.

When I get real wide I feel off balance, and I have pain in groin area almost like I am stretching my muscles farther than they can go when I try to squat. This makes me bring my legs back together slightly as I squat to position. I know I am doing something wrong I have seen others get wider than I can without any issue, so I ask you all what am I doing wrong?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:36pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Ok everyone tells everybody I have seen work they need to widen their stance, myself included. So I have a question, maybe I am the only one with this issue, maybe some of you have overcome it. If you have that is why I am asking.

When I get real wide I feel off balance, and I have pain in groin area almost like I am stretching my muscles farther than they can go when I try to squat. This makes me bring my legs back together slightly as I squat to position. I know I am doing something wrong I have seen others get wider than I can without any issue, so I ask you all what am I doing wrong?
I am comfortably 33"-34" wide. Before the release of the pitch I drop my butt about 4" lower.
Don't be uncomfortable, it weakens the concentration.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED

When I get real wide I feel off balance,
Then you are too wide, for now.

Quote:
and I have pain in groin area almost like I am stretching my muscles farther than they can go when I try to squat.
This is something, like metal spikes, that you just don't slip into and go. Takes a fair amount of stretching and gradual steps.

Whatever you do, make sure you are comfortable with whatever you do. If you are getting into the strike zone, seeing the entire plate without killing your back or leaning into the swing zone, that's fine. Not everyone can be exactly the same, we are all built a little different than the next guy/gal.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
Let's get a starting point here. About how wide has your stance been - when you have been comfortable. Then, how wide do you think you need to be.
I'm a proponent of a wide stance. I am about 6'1 and my feet are probably about 38-40 inches apart when I get into my plate stance.
Part of my daily exercise is stretching. Part of my weekly routine includes lifting with the legs.
Mike is right - you need to begin to move to that stance you want - not move to that wide all at once (however wide that is).
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 08:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Dave,
Let's get a starting point here. About how wide has your stance been - when you have been comfortable. Then, how wide do you think you need to be.
I'm a proponent of a wide stance. I am about 6'1 and my feet are probably about 38-40 inches apart when I get into my plate stance.
Part of my daily exercise is stretching. Part of my weekly routine includes lifting with the legs.
Mike is right - you need to begin to move to that stance you want - not move to that wide all at once (however wide that is).
Okay, Tall Feller,
My being 5'10" causes me to give up 3" on each side. My inseam is 32", I suppose your's is 36".
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Okay, Tall Feller,
My being 5'10" causes me to give up 3" on each side. My inseam is 32", I suppose your's is 36".
Actually, Mick, my inseam is 32 also. It's the waist that's a bit over 36 - "bit" being a realtive term.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 08:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Actually, Mick, my inseam is 32 also. It's the waist that's a bit over 36 - "bit" being a realtive term.

For the heckuvit, I did some calculating:

Me : 5'10" feet spread at 34" with back straight -> head height = 5'5-1/2"
You : 6'1" feet spread at 40" with back straight -> head height = 5'6 "

Now the big unknown: Is the width of stance measured from insoles or out soles ?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Now the big unknown: Is the width of stance measured from insoles or out soles ?
Nothing on TV?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 09:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Nothing on TV?
I have one eye on House and a kid with a big "softball-sized" growth.

Staying on topic, eh? ...Sorta?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It's measured from the inside - too hard to look at the outside when I'm in the stance.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2007, 10:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
It's measured from the inside - too hard to look at the outside when I'm in the stance.
Me, too.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice guys...I feel like I see the zone good and have really never been reviewed negatively on my zone, but I repeatedly hear "you could stand to be a little bit wider" and I know the wider I get the less strain there is on the old knees, of course if I lose some weight I would help the knees out too....but anyway I will work on that. I have never measured myself in my stance, never thought about it, I will have to try that and see how I compare on width with the measurements you all got....I am right about 6' tall, note I almost put around 6' but that is a measurement Id rather not share as Steve said a bit over 36 is relative...about 50# would be missed in a good way! But anyway it will be interesting to see how wide I really am.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

My advice is to widen gradually. It isn't appropriate or necessary to get 12" wider next time out.

Go to the point you feel some discomfort, then come back 2" to a more comfortable position. Stretch it there for a while (a game or two, maybe a week or two), until that is easy and natural. Then try to widen again, to a new point of discomfort, then come back 2". Do this repeatedly over time, stretching regularly to keep everything loose, and pretty soon you can be as wide as anyone would wish, without any discomfort on the groin, and with limited pressure on the knees, back, or even your quads.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2007, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
My advice is to widen gradually. It isn't appropriate or necessary to get 12" wider next time out.

Go to the point you feel some discomfort, then come back 2" to a more comfortable position. Stretch it there for a while (a game or two, maybe a week or two), until that is easy and natural. Then try to widen again, to a new point of discomfort, then come back 2". Do this repeatedly over time, stretching regularly to keep everything loose, and pretty soon you can be as wide as anyone would wish, without any discomfort on the groin, and with limited pressure on the knees, back, or even your quads.
That is exactly how I approached widening my stance several years ago.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

You guys should try getting to the strike zone (SP coed game) of this exceptionally good looking but extremely short 4'9" young lady that plays locally (to me). She has a slight squat on top of her already being a bit short (and I'm 72" tall with 33" inseam).