Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Plate Mechanics

What do you see, good or bad?

Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

From the camera angle he looks to be too far back from the catcher. His feet are too close together and his heel/toe positioning is off. Torso lean could be better by not leaning forward as much and his head height could be lower by spreading out his stance. I cannot tell if he is in the slot but if his eyes are at the top of his zone in this picture, he's calling strikes at the chin and his left hand resting on his thigh is not the best location.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

He needs a web belt to keep his shirt halfway nice looking.

Although it's hard to determine in 2D, looks like his wing is sticking out. He'll prolly keep it out there til he takes that foul straight back. Old umpire from the days of my youth used to stick his out -- and he used a balloon. Still broke his arm. His main complaint was that for six weeks, he had to drink one-handed.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
He needs a web belt to keep his shirt halfway nice looking.

Although it's hard to determine in 2D, looks like his wing is sticking out. He'll prolly keep it out there til he takes that foul straight back. Old umpire from the days of my youth used to stick his out -- and he used a balloon. Still broke his arm. His main complaint was that for six weeks, he had to drink one-handed.
Hopefully for his sake, he wasn't right-handed.

That's all I'll say about it.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
. I cannot tell if he is in the slot but if his eyes are at the top of his zone in this picture, he's calling strikes at the chin and his left hand resting on his thigh is not the best location.
I thought that too, but given the height of the batter, I'm not sure how he's going to get his eyes to the correct level unless he drops to his knees. It looks to me that he's (trying to be) in the slot. I'm guessing this is a 10U game?
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Hey, SRW......Did you get a new camera or something??????

Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Apparently, my work network has the images blocked on all these posts. I cannot see a thing besides text.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 11:53am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Apparently, my work network has the images blocked on all these posts. I cannot see a thing besides text.
If you are in Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" at the top and check your pop-up blocker settings. That sometimes will take care of it.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
From the camera angle he looks to be too far back from the catcher. His feet are too close together and his heel/toe positioning is off. Torso lean could be better by not leaning forward as much and his head height could be lower by spreading out his stance. I cannot tell if he is in the slot but if his eyes are at the top of his zone in this picture, he's calling strikes at the chin and his left hand resting on his thigh is not the best location.
I agree with most of this, but looking at their feet, I would say in the slot or at least to left of catcher. If this is his all-the-way-down postion, strike zone will be way high.

NFHS, NCAA, PONY, USSSA, ASA, MPSSAA, DIAA (aka DSSAA), DSUA, UUA, SUM, HARSOA, NASO

Last edited by CecilOne; Fri Nov 09, 2007 at 12:38pm.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
I thought that too, but given the height of the batter, I'm not sure how he's going to get his eyes to the correct level unless he drops to his knees. It looks to me that he's (trying to be) in the slot. I'm guessing this is a 10U game?
I'm thinking that if his legs were spread wider and he had the proper heel/toe alignment his head could be lower.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch
If you are in Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" at the top and check your pop-up blocker settings. That sometimes will take care of it.
My work site is not internet friendly, and yes, I teach for a living. But, needless to say, the pop-up blocker default is not an option for me.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
What do you see, good or bad?

It looks like his head is just a bit tilted - that's going to be harder on the neck than I'd like to feel. I think he's in the slot, but not far enough in the slot - needs to move a bit to the left. The head height looks ok, if he gets 4-6 inches closer and more into the slot - note that the bottom of the mask is at the top of the catcher's helmet.
That height is ok IF he's further into the slot. As for the eyes not being at the top of the strike zone, his knees may not allow him to get that low - mine don't. In fact, I regularly set up with the bottom of my head at the top of the catcher's helmet - and there are no complaints over the bottom or outside of what I see as strikes at any level.
I'd say he's either been taught a long time ago - using the stance that has both feet parallel to the back of the catcher's box OR he works some pretty high level games as that is a stance that is accepted - if not welcomed. But the feet should be wider - that would help to lower his head a bit and straighten his back a bit.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

It looks very tiring.
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

You guys can sure see more in that picture from that angle than I can. Some of you must be pretty good in calling balls and strikes from the dugout, too!
Old Sat Nov 10, 2007, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
You guys can sure see more in that picture from that angle than I can. Some of you must be pretty good in calling balls and strikes from the dugout, too!
I don't know about the dugout, but 50 feet down the third base line in the fifth row of the bleachers, my strike zone is phenomenal. Especially with a right handed batter.