The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

GD Stance

Does anyone have any diagrams/pictures of the Gerry Davis stance?
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Dan:

Go to the home page of this website. Find the Carl Childress Archive Section and there is a two part srticle with pictures on the FREE portion of the site.

Regards,
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

And here is a pic of Mr. C working the GD himself:

http://www.umpire.org/modules.php?na...r=asc&start=15
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Nice socks T.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Nice socks T.

Good Lord, those are his Carlucci shinguards. Did you really think Tee would wear royal blue socks with his uniform?

Another fargin amazing post.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Oct 31, 2006 at 01:32am.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys i found them. Also yeah the blue shins look funny as hell
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

He must have a hard time calling the lower part of the strikezone. From the picture (and it could be the angle) but it looks like he can't see anything lower the belt and if he's lined up on the inside corner he has to be guessing on the low outside corner.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

Yet again someone who doesn't understand the GDS and criticizes without merit.

Expected considering the source.

Carlucci Blue leg guards match my Carlucci CP and my mask. Just one of my more favorite fashion statements.

The dolts are in charge of this sight, how sad.

Regards,
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

HAHAHAHA

Tim, for someone who criticizes others so quickly and harsly, you look like a friggin moron.

What a joke.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Yet again someone who doesn't understand the GDS and criticizes without merit.

Expected considering the source.

Carlucci Blue leg guards match my Carlucci CP and my mask. Just one of my more favorite fashion statements.

The dolts are in charge of this sight, how sad.

Regards,
Without getting "snarky", I thought I asked a legitimate question.

From the picture provided, the angle from your eyes over the catcher is at best belt high. Assuming you're lined up on the inside corner how can you make the low outside corner call??

It would appear that anything below the belt is in your blindspot because of the catcher. I setup exactly the same way you do but much closer to the catcher so I can see the strike zone.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

tibear:

You're right I reacted to "who" made the post rather than talk to what was actually asked.

When an umpire criticizes the stance without ever using it it is disconcerting.

"From the picture provided, the angle from your eyes over the catcher is at best belt high. Assuming you're lined up on the inside corner how can you make the low outside corner call??"

This confuses me as most think GDS forces the umpire to work "higher" -- my opinion is that my eyes are basically just above the catchers head . . . when a cathcer work high I also work higher.

"It would appear that anything below the belt is in your blindspot because of the catcher. I setup exactly the same way you do but much closer to the catcher so I can see the strike zone."

There is no more of a blind spot working GDS as toe-to-instep. I would respectfully comment that even when you are closer to the catcher you cannot see the outside corner (famous Harry Wendelstat quote when told he couldn't see the outside corner: "I don't NEED to see it I know where it is!" -- that reference is only noting that all (except for the box) stances have "blind" spots.

Guys many of us now work the GDS and many of us are criticized even in our local area. It is my opinion that we are criticized "mostly" because we are doing something "different" and change is hard for some people to accept.

That is human nature.

And I apologize for the tone and words of my original post.

Regards,

"The Moron"
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

T,

By sitting on the inside corner and being nice and high I'm able to see the entire strike zone. Granted, by being on the inside corner, I'm not able to see exactly where the outside corner is because my eyes are on the other side of the plate, but at least I see the pitch all the way across the strikezone and simply have to guess about the outside corner.

I like the GDS because of the stability it gives you and I guess it works for you being that far from the catcher. However, if I saw an umpire that far from catcher, I would question the strikezone. Of course, I wouldn't say anything because you'd toss me but inside I would be thinking, "How can you call something when you can't see ball cross the plate?"

Perhaps with enough experience you can extrapolate where the ball is going without actually seeing it. If it works for you, great.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Hmm,

tibear:

I'm sorry as I just don't understand "why" you think I cannot see the ball.

You actually get a "longer" look at a pitch and that is one of the +'s of the stance.

See I am on the inside corner . . . "slot" . . . I am solid (head height the same every time) and I can look "down" and see the whole plate.

Also I ask you to remember that I am not the only person using this stance. While it is my picture in this thread many, many others use the stance successfully.

"However, if I saw an umpire that far from catcher, I would question the strikezone."

This is the EXACT reason that I am considering going back to the traditional stance. tiBear it is the same with any "new and coming thing" when people first saw the horseless carraige they scoffed and said it would never work . . . maybe this stance is the "horseless carriage" of umpiring.

If I give up the stance it will be ONLY because it cannot be "sold" to the coaching and evaluator masses.

Thanks for your points.

Regards,
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

T,

I think you misunderstood my position on the GDS.

I also use the stance, exactly as you do BUT I'm much closer to the catcher and higher so I can see the entire zone. From this location, on virtually every pitch, except for the ones where the catcher jumps up, I can see the pitch from the release right into the glove of the catcher.

From looking at the picture, I find it hard to believe you can "look "down" and see the whole plate." unless the catcher is setting up on the outside corner.

If the catcher is setting up inside can you really see the plate or are you going with the "I know where the plate is" theory?
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

I have tried the GDS a couple of times and I find that the catcher's head blocks my view of the outside of the plate. I like the fact that I have more time to see the ball, but just feel uncomfortable that I can't see part of the plate.
Any suggestions?
Closed Thread