The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
NFHS batter stepping out of box

In NFHS, if a batter requests time and it is not granted by the umpire and the pitcher delivers the pitch, doesn't the rule say the pitch SHALL by called a strike? I believe in the same scenario in ASA the rule says the pitch shall be called a ball or strike depending on the location of the pitch. Am I reading both of these correctly and if so then if the pitcher air mailed one 6' over the batter, in NFHS it would be a strike??? What do you say? Dave
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

My understanding:

NFHS....Strike

ASA...our UIC interpretation here is it is going to be a strike most, if not all of the time, in other words a very generous strike zone.
Old Sat Oct 20, 2007, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS 7:3:1:2 does in fact state that the pitch "shall be called a strike."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
if the pitcher air mailed one 6' over the batter, in NFHS it would be a strike??? What do you say? Dave
I would suggest "ball".
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

OK, but pretty regularly on this board it is stated that we should have a rule to reference to, to make or not make a ruling. What rule cites that we can call it a ball. Dave
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
OK, but pretty regularly on this board it is stated that we should have a rule to reference to, to make or not make a ruling. What rule cites that we can call it a ball. Dave
If the request is so late that I will not grant time, I've got a few more things to worry about than the location of the batter's feet.

Yes, I know that it should be obvious the batter isn't there, but you know how blind us umpires are . Once the pitch is on the way, how would you know the batter completely left the box without losing the pitch? And what if you are wrong, what do you call the pitch?
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

That's kind of the way I feel. I bet the majority of coaches don't even realize what the rules actually says. If I called a strike on a pitch that was WAY, WAY out of the strike zone, it would probably be a tough sell to the offensive coach even though I have the rule to back me. Dave
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

And where (rhetorically speaking) are the armpits or knees of a batter who isn't in the batter's box? To me, very generous (in ASA) is more than a suggestion; it is a message that should be sent.

In NFHS, I have zero problem calling it a strike; if the coach doesn't know the rule (even with the 2007 POE directing umpires to NOT GRANT TIME), the coach will learn it very quickly.
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problem with calling a strike if the batter steps out of the box if the pitch is close to a liberal strike zone. But that is ASA.

But if I understand this thread correctly, any time the batter steps out of the box, the umpire should call a strike, end of story. No liability to at least throw a decent pitch for the offense. I think that is a pretty stiff penalty simply for giving up on a pitch.

Next thought, 2-2 count, batter steps out of the box just prior to the release of the pitch and the pitcher throws the ball out of play. Awarding bases? Including the batter/batter-runner who gave up on an uncaught third strike?
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I have no problem with calling a strike if the batter steps out of the box if the pitch is close to a liberal strike zone. But that is ASA.

But if I understand this thread correctly, any time the batter steps out of the box, the umpire should call a strike, end of story. No liability to at least throw a decent pitch for the offense. I think that is a pretty stiff penalty simply for giving up on a pitch.

Next thought, 2-2 count, batter steps out of the box just prior to the release of the pitch and the pitcher throws the ball out of play. Awarding bases? Including the batter/batter-runner who gave up on an uncaught third strike?
Why do you always have to throw reality into a communication exercise?
Now I might have to get out my rule book.
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

I'm out working an 8th grade NFHS game tonight... probably the best team in this league against the worst. Final score was 16-0 in 4.5 innings.

Anyway, Team Best is at bat, and winning like 8-0 at this point. B1 is at bat with a 2-2 count, and for whatever reason, F1 decides to take just a little bit longer than normal with her delivery. B1 asks for time about the same time F1 starts her motion. I go set, B1 backs out of the box thinking she had time, and ...yes, the pitch is about 4 feet above my head and hits the backstop.

Any idea what I called?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Any idea what I called?
Ummm.... Illegal pitch?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I'm out working an 8th grade NFHS game tonight... probably the best team in this league against the worst. Final score was 16-0 in 4.5 innings.

Anyway, Team Best is at bat, and winning like 8-0 at this point. B1 is at bat with a 2-2 count, and for whatever reason, F1 decides to take just a little bit longer than normal with her delivery. B1 asks for time about the same time F1 starts her motion. I go set, B1 backs out of the box thinking she had time, and ...yes, the pitch is about 4 feet above my head and hits the backstop.

Any idea what I called?
Ghostbusters!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Any idea what I called?
Let's see...8th grade game, mismatched teams, 8-0 score....

I may be calling for a cold beer at this point!!!!!
Old Tue Oct 23, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW

Any idea what I called?
Wild guess here, but I'm thinking you either called 911 because team B needed help or 411 for more information about the pitch.