The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Pitch

USSSA 16U.

I am PU. After receiving the ball from the catcher, the pitcher bends down and picks up a bit of the chalk from around the circle. She wipes the chalk off on the side of her shorts and prepares to pitch. I think, no problem, she's wiped off the chalk.

Next pitch, same routine but the pitcher now works the chalk between her fingers and the excess falls to the ground. Now I'm thinking, she's pushing it. I don't give the illegal pitch signal until after the pitch. While tracking the ball I see a white blur on the ball (she threw inside, so it was easy to track). I call "illegal pitch" and warn the coach that his pitcher cannot apply a foreign substance to the ball. He didn't argue, just told the pitcher to "wipe it off next time."

Two questions. First, should I have called IP on the first pitch?

Second, do you think chalk is a foreign substance? I can see both sides of the answer. Yes, it is a foreign substance because it is brought to the field to establish the lines of the field, which I agree with. But I may also be swayed, after further thought, that chalk is close to a resin bag and should not be a foreign substance, since a resin bag is legal (Rule 7, Sec. 1. H.).

Feedback, please.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Scott,
The first one, I agree, that is not an IP.
I do not agree with you on the 2nd pitch, that was an IP, immediately. It was illegal because F1 did not wipe her pitching hand before touching the ball. That's applying a foreign object. I know you called IP, but that was much later. I'm calling IP as soon as the unwiped pitching hand touches the ball - the actual, physical pitch is not going to happen.
Now, what is a foreign substance - if it was not on the ball when it came out of the box, that's a foreign substance. And RESIN, applied directly to the ball - as opposed to being applied to the hand & then wiped - is also applying a foreign subsance.
And, when wiping, I am not looking at the hand to make sure F1 got every bit of the chalk/resin/whatever off of the hand. The fact is, the stuff went onto the hand and the hand was then wiped. That's good enough for me to believe that the book requirements have been met.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Scott,
The first one, I agree, that is not an IP.
I do not agree with you on the 2nd pitch, that was an IP, immediately. It was illegal because F1 did not wipe her pitching hand before touching the ball. That's applying a foreign object. I know you called IP, but that was much later. I'm calling IP as soon as the unwiped pitching hand touches the ball - the actual, physical pitch is not going to happen.
Now, what is a foreign substance - if it was not on the ball when it came out of the box, that's a foreign substance. And RESIN, applied directly to the ball - as opposed to being applied to the hand & then wiped - is also applying a foreign subsance.
And, when wiping, I am not looking at the hand to make sure F1 got every bit of the chalk/resin/whatever off of the hand. The fact is, the stuff went onto the hand and the hand was then wiped. That's good enough for me to believe that the book requirements have been met.
I disagree with you on this one Steve. We actually have this arguement in our local board all the time. If you call the IP as soon as the hand touches the ball - she can simply step off the back of the pitcher's plate and you have nothing. By definition, the pitch begins when the hands are separated after they have been brought together (or something like that - don't have my book with me). IMO, when she takes the hands apart - that's when the IP is to be called. It became illegal when the hand touched the ball - it became a pitch when the hands separated.

I should add that I'm looking at this from fed rules . . . not sure if ASA treats it differently.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I disagree with you on this one Steve. We actually have this arguement in our local board all the time. If you call the IP as soon as the hand touches the ball - she can simply step off the back of the pitcher's plate and you have nothing. By definition, the pitch begins when the hands are separated after they have been brought together (or something like that - don't have my book with me). IMO, when she takes the hands apart - that's when the IP is to be called. It became illegal when the hand touched the ball - it became a pitch when the hands separated.

I should add that I'm looking at this from fed rules . . . not sure if ASA treats it differently.
Larry,
We'd be on opposite sides guy. The IP is the penalty - in both Fed and ASA - for going directly to the ball after applying the foreign substance. I don't need the actual pitch to occur.
For Fed, check Rule 6, Penalty for Article 2&3 - it sez immediate
For ASA, I'm going to trust memory and say it's Rule 6, Section 5.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Larry,
We'd be on opposite sides guy. The IP is the penalty - in both Fed and ASA - for going directly to the ball after applying the foreign substance. I don't need the actual pitch to occur.
For Fed, check Rule 6, Penalty for Article 2&3 - it sez immediate
For ASA, I'm going to trust memory and say it's Rule 6, Section 5.
You are correct - we are on opposite sides. Until the hands are taken apart, 6.1.f says that the pitcher can remove herself from the pitching position. If you call an IP before it's a pitch - i.e. when the ball touches the hand, she steps back off the plate and you look foolish. My hope is that once she starts her windup or removes one hand that I call the IP and it causes her not to finish the pitch. At any rate, I still don't see how you can call an IP before you have a pitch.

I did check the reference you stated (albeit a 2005 book) and it doesn't have the word immediate. I agree that an IP is the penalty for applying an illegal substance to the ball - but till she commits to the pitch you have nothing.

BTW, if I were your partner, I'd back you to the coach and disagree with you privately. If I were the coach, you might have to dump me - especially if that call cost me something.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Larry, then you are dumped. It is an illegal pitch for any player to apply a foreign substance, even if the ball is never pitched.

Picture this. Foul ball to third baseman; he fields it, and applies stickum to the ball before returning the ball to the pitcher. What is your call?

My call is illegal pitch; now. The ball is thrown out of play, and the third baseman is warned that repeating that act will result in an ejection.

Play 2; same, but third baseman rubs the ball in the dirt to "rough it up". My call, same result.

Now , play 3, pitcher applies dirt/resin/chalk, whatever. Illegal pitch; now. No pitch is required for that ruling. If the ball is defaced, it is unsafe to be used. Allowing or requirig it to be used isn't prudent or appropriate.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Looking from FED rules, it is 6-2-2 and the penalty states "An illegal pitch shall be called immediately"

In reading the EXCEPTION we are told that if the pitch is completed the coach (may) have the option, and signal with the left arm and so on. Then the NOTE: again states to call it when it becomes illegal.

If we say that "she can simply step off the back of the pitcher's plate and you have nothing" then what is to stop the F5 from applying vaseline (an illegal act per rule 6-2-2) then returning the ball to the pitcher? Or are you arguing that she may step off, remove the foriegn substance (be it vaseline or chalk, or spit) and then throw with still no penalty? These rules are listed under the title "INFRACTIONS BY PITCHER". If there is an infraction, how can there be no penalty?

Mountaineer I really think you need to re-consider somewhat.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Larry...

Don't want to beat up on you, but the Steves are correct. For this type of infraction, the IP needs to be called when it occurs. This is according to ASA, NFHS, and the OP's USSSA. Stepping back and abandoning the pitch does not nullify the infraction.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BTW, if I were your partner, I'd back you to the coach and disagree with you privately. If I were the coach, you might have to dump me - especially if that call cost me something.
Larry,
I appreciate this - and would do the same.
And I think we'd have a ball on the field and then after.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Just got off the phone with a member of the NFHS rules committee and he agrees with me. If you call an IP before you have a pitch (by rule) and she steps off - you have nothing. If a girl toes the rubber with her hands together, do you call that immediately too? While I can certainly see the validity of calling it the minute her hands come together, I also see more confrontation. Once the hands separate, she's committed to the pitch and there's nothing to argue about. My contact also agrees that if I call an IP when her hands come together and she steps back off the rubber - I have nothing and the IP is nullified.

Here's my question though - when you do this, are coming out and killing the play? "Dead ball, I have an IP for applying foreign substance!" That's the only way I could see that working.

Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Case Book
Quote:
6.2.2 SITUATION B:
After walking B1, F1 walks out of the 16-foot circle and licks the fingers on the throwing hand. With the ball in the glove, she walks on to the pitcher's plate and begins her delivery. RULING: Any time F1 licks the fingers on her pitching hand, she shall wipe them before touching the ball, otherwise an illegal pitch shall be called. The umpire shall declare the ball dead immediately.
Because this case play has the pitcher begin the delivery it does not completely resolve the discussion, but I think the statement of the ruling is pretty clear - dead ball immediately upon committing the infraction (touching the ball without wiping).
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just got off the phone with a member of the NFHS rules committee and he agrees with me. If you call an IP before you have a pitch (by rule) and she steps off - you have nothing. If a girl toes the rubber with her hands together, do you call that immediately too? While I can certainly see the validity of calling it the minute her hands come together, I also see more confrontation. Once the hands separate, she's committed to the pitch and there's nothing to argue about. My contact also agrees that if I call an IP when her hands come together and she steps back off the rubber - I have nothing and the IP is nullified.

Here's my question though - when you do this, are coming out and killing the play? "Dead ball, I have an IP for applying foreign substance!" That's the only way I could see that working.
Larry,

Is the rule for applying a foreign substance to the ball or pitching a ball to which a player applied a foreign substance?

If the former (as the ASA rule reads), then there is no pitch required as the violation is the application of the foreign substance, not the pitching of the ball.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Larry,

Is the rule for applying a foreign substance to the ball or pitching a ball to which a player applied a foreign substance?

If the former (as the ASA rule reads), then there is no pitch required as the violation is the application of the foreign substance, not the pitching of the ball.
And that makes sense to me . . . for some stupid reason, I kept seeing a DDB on the IP and that's where I said it wouldn't work. Immediate DB does now make sense to me. I just had this picture in my mind that I couldn't get out - no matter what anyone said.

Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I personally don't feel that chalk or dirt is a foreign substance. As soon as a ball touches the ground whether by pitch or hit, it's going to have dirt and/or chalk on it. Are you changing to a new ball after every pitch? Most players will have dirt/chalk in their gloves by just using them and that's going to get on the ball as well. If a pitcher puts some dirt/chalk on his/her hand, I'm not too concerned about it. Heck, I've had pitchers almost bury the ball in dirt before they pitched it. Playing in wet conditions, the ball gets wet, the pitcher dries it off with some infield dirt, I'm not saying anything. It's not giving them any advantage that I can see.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
If you call an IP before you have a pitch (by rule) and she steps off - you have nothing. If a girl toes the rubber with her hands together, do you call that immediately too?
If F1 toes the pitchers plate with her hands together, she can step off and correct herself. When she applies a foreign substance to the ball, that act alone is what is illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDBlue
I guess I personally don't feel that chalk or dirt is a foreign substance. As soon as a ball touches the ground whether by pitch or hit, it's going to have dirt and/or chalk on it.
The ball can come in contact with dirt/chalk through normal play. INTENTIONALLY contacting the ball with dirt/chalk/moisture/or any substance that is foreign to the ball is what is illegal.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"